PDA

View Full Version : Good Pistol Shooting Book?

jolari
07-30-2008, 11:48 AM
Anyone have recommendations on a good book explaining the various rules and techniques for bull's eye shooting competitions? I was looking at pictures from Camp Perry and noticed everyone seemed to be shooting with only one hand. They also had shooting boxes with spotting scopes mounted on them. Is this standard for all types of bull's eye?

wJAKE19
07-31-2008, 12:54 AM
I'm sure there is some sort of bulls eye "association" find them on the web and order a rule book...
sorry I was not much help.. just google around and you will find somthing.

Kimber45
07-31-2008, 06:09 AM
You can get the basic bulleye rule book at NRA publications.

jolari
07-31-2008, 07:11 AM
After some hunting around I did find this site which was very informative. http://www.bullseyepistol.com/ Now all I have to do is find an "inexpensive" 1911 and "accurize" it. I am getting an old High Standard .22 for the rim fire portion that was my grand father's but all I have for the center fire portion is a Sigma SW9VE. So far I am not too accurate with it at 25 yrds and I haven't even tried it at 50 yrds. It is a great gun for IDPA but the trigger is a little long for 25/50 yrds. I wanted a book for those times spent in the "little boys room" or when sitting at the lake watching the kids play in the water.

Kimber45
07-31-2008, 08:00 AM
Try Creedmoor Sports at www.creedmoorsports.com

They have a preety good book selection. I don't know where you are located but a trip to vendors row at Camp Perry right now will let you browse all the books and equipment you could ever want for bullseye competition.

jolari
07-31-2008, 09:56 AM
Are the vendors still set up at Camp Perry even though the pistol competition is over? I am located in Commerce Twp and Camp Perry would be a 2 hour drive one way. I might still go just to see the long range rifle competition in August. Have you been to Camp Perry during the competitions?

Kimber45
07-31-2008, 11:42 AM
Are the vendors still set up at Camp Perry even though the pistol competition is over? I am located in Commerce Twp and Camp Perry would be a 2 hour drive one way. I might still go just to see the long range rifle competition in August. Have you been to Camp Perry during the competitions?

Yeah, they're there throgh the competitions. Yes I have, though health issues are keeping me home this year. I shoot the "games matches" - M1 Carbine, M1 Garand and '03.

jolari
07-31-2008, 08:43 PM
I was on "The Firing Line" forum and someone sent me the US Army Marksmanship Unit Pistol Guide in PDF format. It is a great manual with no copywrite so if anyone wants a copy let me know your e-mail and I will forward a copy to you. It is a 2MB file, 94 pages long but it covers everything from stance, grip, sight picture to how to train. It assumes the gun you are using is accurate out to 50 yards so it doesn't talk about guns, just technique.

gjgalligan
08-01-2008, 05:12 AM
Try your local library for books.
You can read the books and then if you want a copy of your own try Amazon or Books-a-million.

Kimber45
08-01-2008, 05:19 AM
I was on "The Firing Line" forum and someone sent me the US Army Marksmanship Unit Pistol Guide in PDF format. It is a great manual with no copywrite so if anyone wants a copy let me know your e-mail and I will forward a copy to you. It is a 2MB file, 94 pages long but it covers everything from stance, grip, sight picture to how to train. It assumes the gun you are using is accurate out to 50 yards so it doesn't talk about guns, just technique.

The AMU won the pistol competition at the Nationals this year. Go green machine!!!