PDA

View Full Version : John Johnson Memorial Event

UTPD#5
08-13-2008, 08:32 AM
Mark your calendars!

There will be a memorial event with a .22 shoot at the Howell Gun Club on October 11, 2008 from noon until three on the 50 yard range.

Intentions are to have a breif memorial ceremony, spread John's ashes and enjoy the HGC range as John would have liked.

I am in contact with his widow and will be finalizing plans as soon as we can.

I know that there are many people on the board that knew John, some better than I, so if anyone has any ideas or suggestions please email me.

I will post additions as they occur.

Garry

Smokepole
08-13-2008, 09:17 AM
That's a great idea, Gary!
...Hope you have a good turnout, and beautiful weather as well.
John was a great guy, and we all miss him.
Tell Dawn I said "hello".

GLOCKME
08-13-2008, 10:18 AM
I am marking my calendar,hope to be able to make it!!

There are many times that I wish that I could pick up the phone and talk to John..

He is truly missed..:-(

Brenden

sprink
08-13-2008, 05:27 PM
What a great idea. I know John will never be forgotten, but now he is remembered.

Smokepole
08-14-2008, 07:17 AM
This was John Johnson, at his wedding, a little over a year ago.

http://www.janwhite.net/ebay/deadbuddy.jpg

Scoop
08-14-2008, 10:36 AM
This was John Johnson, at his wedding, a little over a year ago.He sure could clean up well, now, couldn't he? :)

Miss ya, buddy! :(

UTPD#5
08-15-2008, 01:32 PM
I talked with Dawn, John's widow, today...she is very excited about the event.

I certainly hope that all the poeple that knew John can take a few minutes to stop and share some of their time with Dawn and remember those good times we all shared with John.

Dawn and John were only married a couple of months, so Dawn never really got to know how many people John knew and helped.

Please RSVP in this post or shoot me an email for a head count.

The date is set, the events may change based on attendance.

Garry

NickS
08-15-2008, 04:25 PM
Count me in. I'll be there even if I might not shoot. John was a good friend.

sprink
08-15-2008, 05:23 PM
I'm planning to attend, but "work happens" sometimes.

UTPD#5
09-14-2008, 12:24 PM
I don't know if we will call it the John Johnson Memorial as things have changed for his widow and children...I will advise. But, I think we should move forward and still have the event to honor and remember all those members that left us for the large range in the sky.

I really would like to have a head count...if we only have a handful of people, we can shoot and then go to a local eatery.

Your thoughts?

NickS
09-14-2008, 12:28 PM
I don't know if we will call it the John Johnson Memorial as things have changed for his widow and children...I will advise. But, I think we should move forward and still have the event to honor and remember all those members that left us for the large range in the sky.

I really would like to have a head count...if we only have a handful of people, we can shoot and then go to a local eatery.

Your thoughts?

My initial thought is ... What's up? What has changed? Aren't we allowed to know? He was our friend too. How about filling us in.

UTPD#5
09-14-2008, 12:36 PM
Sure...I just didn't want to get into it here...but,

John's son wants to take his ashes and go up north to spread them where they vacationed as kids...no problem, right? Well, Dawn says that if that happens she does not want to do the event "solely" for John as she already had one for him, and she has had closure.

As some of you know...John went through a rough divorce that was never really settled...so there is "rough" feelings between Dawn and John's family.

Bottom line, I want to have the "memorial event", we'll just make it the MGO Memorial Event...at least that is my thought.

NickS
09-14-2008, 12:48 PM

John's son wants to take his ashes and go up north to spread them where they vacationed as kids...no problem, right? Well, Dawn says that if that happens she does not want to do the event "solely" for John as she already had one for him, and she has had closure.

As some of you know...John went through a rough divorce that was never really settled...so there is "rough" feelings between Dawn and John's family.

Bottom line, I want to have the "memorial event", we'll just make it the MGO Memorial Event...at least that is my thought.

Thanks. Still sounds good to me. I'm still in.

Ed Hoffman
09-14-2008, 01:24 PM
I'll be there

Knimrod
09-14-2008, 01:37 PM

IMHO, that shouldn't stop us, as John's friends, from memorializing him and engaging in our own celebration of his life. This can and should still be the "John Johnson Memorial Event". After all, he was a charter member of this organization and many of us knew him well as he was a popular activist.

Count me in.

UTPD#5
09-14-2008, 03:46 PM
IMHO, that shouldn't stop us, as John's friends, from memorializing him and engaging in our own celebration of his life. This can and should still be the "John Johnson Memorial Event". After all, he was a charter member of this organization and many of us knew him well as he was a popular activist.

Count me in.

The name stands...thanks Lance.

I have arranged for a police chaplin to attend...we'll just celebrate the good times we had with John and enjoy each others company for the day.

Thanks for the input guys...let's get a nice group together and do the dish to pass idea...you know I like food. LOL

UTPD#5
09-29-2008, 11:00 AM
Just talked to Dawn. She is planning to be there.

So far we have a limited number of people confirming attendance.

Should we do the "dish to pass" event, or just gather and have fun?

NickS
09-29-2008, 11:10 AM
Just talked to Dawn. She is planning to be there.

So far we have a limited number of people confirming attendance.

I'd say gather and remember old times.

Tallbear
10-04-2008, 11:38 AM
Is this .22 shoot only or can we bring other "toys"?

dougwg
10-04-2008, 11:56 AM
Is this .22 shoot only or can we bring other "toys"?

Yeah! Mike has many guns that he still NEEDS to shoot :poke:

:)

UTPD#5
10-05-2008, 11:12 AM
Well we set it as a .22 shoot, but, bring what you like...worst case we only shoot .22's.

Ed Hoffman
10-05-2008, 11:22 AM
It's going to be a great time
:fa:

ED

enfield
10-05-2008, 08:30 PM
I wish I could be there.

Knimrod
10-09-2008, 06:06 PM

What was the verdict on this? Dish to pass or just a gathering?

UTPD#5
10-10-2008, 06:04 AM
Okay....

No food for the event at HGC.

Bring what firearms you like, but, we are starting with 22's.

The event is from noon to three at HGC.

We may go to a local eatery after the event.

See you there.

NickS
10-11-2008, 03:48 PM
Pictures now posted in the "Gallery" of this event complete with 'captions'. Thanks to all who came out to remember John. We'll miss him but he'll always be in our hearts. R.I.P. John.

Knimrod
10-11-2008, 04:38 PM
I added a few more pictures..

Godspeed John!

fbuckner
10-11-2008, 05:44 PM
I am sorry I couldnt make it today. John was a good hearted man he and I had several heart to heart talks about our kids and our lives. It is nice to see he touched so many lives and it is nice to see his friends make it today. He must have been happy to see you all as he shined down a beautiful day on the range from heaven.

Chappy
10-11-2008, 06:18 PM
Thanks for letting me be a part of such an event as this. Next year I will bring my "toy's" and play too! God Bless!

fbuckner
10-11-2008, 10:05 PM
Welcome Chappy Nice to have you here.

Chappy
10-12-2008, 11:39 AM
Thanks Fred...I havent forgotten about those coyotes...just waiting to get the time. I have the weapon, ammo, and license...now...

UTPD#5
10-12-2008, 01:11 PM
It was a great time.

Thank you to all that attended.

Let's focus and have a Memorial Shoot every year...the same weekend every year?

Thank you Chappy for being there for us, and welcome to the MGO Forums.

fbuckner
10-12-2008, 01:14 PM
Call me Rick Chappy !!

Chappy
10-12-2008, 04:26 PM
You got it!