PDA

View Full Version : gun season shelter

remingtondude58
08-13-2008, 11:14 PM
Do any of you stay in a tent while hunting during Michigan's firearms deer season? We were going to get a portable garage and convert it to a outfitter tent but it was not sealed well. I am looking for ideas on a portable shelter that are not to expensive. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Big_Jim
08-29-2008, 10:08 AM
Do any of you stay in a tent while hunting during Michigan's firearms deer season? We were going to get a portable garage and convert it to a outfitter tent but it was not sealed well. I am looking for ideas on a portable shelter that are not to expensive. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I stay in a tent camper, does that count?

But, I have an uncle that camps near us and a couple of years ago when we had a lot of snow, he brought his two teenage boys with him and they stayed in a standard family style dome tent. I stopped by and asked if they were staying warm. I went in their tent and it was over 90 degrees inside, it was about 20 outside with 2 feet of snow.

He had a kerosene heater inside like you would use in your garage. He had three cots and the heater and they were cozy.

I have used propane heaters, but the kerosene heater seems the way to go.

I've done a lot of cold weather camping in tent campers. The first thing is a good source of heat, the second is a good bed, third most important thing is fresh coffee.

In the tent camper I line the bed ends with blankets or foam (fan board). I have carpet on the floor. I try to cover the gaps under the bed with blankets and I throw a pillow at the base of the door at night to block the draft. And honestly some nights you have to sleep with a hat on. I have a good furnace and I set it at 70 and forget about it. I also have a small generator that I run at night to keep the furnace blowing strong and I use a fan to keep the air circulating so the thermostat will regulate properly. I put a large tarp over the entire camper and that helps create a pocket of air for extra insulation and helps keep the ice and snow off and makes it easier to take down when its time to come home.

I've spent many nights like this and have had friends and family stay with me in November and December and it works out pretty good. So much so, that my hunting buddy has parked his huge travel trailer and bought a pop-up.

For a tent, a good heater and some creative thinking and you will make out just fine in the coldest Michigan weather.

remingtondude58
08-29-2008, 10:14 AM
We ended up getting a 12X20 outfitters tent. We got a couple propane heaters we plan on bringing with us, should keep it warm.

franky1
08-29-2008, 11:24 AM
its all on how much you want to spend ...... i have a Big Horn III Tent its around 650. it has a slot for a wood burning stove floor system and is very warm with the stove and nice with out it.

anymore question feel free to ask. i have way to much info on survival, camping and hiking

remingtondude58
08-29-2008, 11:32 AM
We got a Alaknak 2

franky1
08-29-2008, 03:53 PM
ahhh you will be very happy with that one :etoh:

fbuckner
08-29-2008, 04:09 PM
I got a Jayco LOL Propane forced air heat.. Other than that The tower has a raident heater in it

skoltuniak
08-29-2008, 04:14 PM
...and is very warm with the stove and nice with out it.

You mean that thing needs a stove in addition to your "body heat" to keep it warm? :whistle:

msbcomputer
08-29-2008, 04:28 PM
I've camped in vans and tents just make sure you have a working heater!! Ours failed the second weekend a few years back and I was comfortable in my sleeping bags but everytime I moved I could feel the cold blast of air......Them little square heaters work well and dont get hot enough to ignite anything.

franky1
08-29-2008, 08:47 PM
my heat is saved for your girl friends shaun :piss:

remingtondude58
09-02-2008, 03:43 PM
ahhh you will be very happy with that one :etoh:

I hope so we set it up in the yard and it looks nice but there were two screens that don't close so we cut up a tarp and stuck it on with Velcro now it is better