PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint PRO owners, which mount and why?

Sasage
03-19-2014, 07:32 PM
I have read that most guys that go with the PRO switch out the factory mount with a different one (Larue).

For those who have made the switch, which mount did you choose and why? Is there something inherently wrong with the stock mount other than aesthetics?

Thanks.

Nightshade1
03-19-2014, 09:40 PM
I used a Trijicon 30mm ring, but only because I was building a BHD clone and it needed to sit as low as possible to the rail atop the carry handle. I did try the factory mount in a gooseneck and cannot understand why people find fault with the factory mount. It's robust, can be adjusted to absolute or lower-1/3 co-witness, and with that big thumb screw it comes off pretty quickly.

Quads
03-19-2014, 11:40 PM
I use the factory mount on both Aimpoint PRO's that I have. As noted prior. It works. I try not to fix what already works.

no im not squinting
03-20-2014, 05:55 AM
LaRue because it I prefer a lower 1/3 co witness and my AR's have a FSP vs. flip up front sights. I had the. LT 129 and my brother had the LT150.
I have tried the ARMs mount on my AUG because the AUG rail has a cut out running the length of the top rail and the LaRue is not recommended for a rail like that. I had the standard ARM's QD mount with the canted spacer.
I have handled the ADM and currently use an ADM mount with ACOG on one AR. Of all my QD mounts The ADM tends to leave the most marks on the rail. Some noted this on their COMP/PRO mounts as well.
Again I prefer a lower 1/3 cowitness and have fixed front sights. The only way to go to maximize the field of view was one of the above.

All of the above were QD mounts and have returned to zero as long as you put them in the same spot/notch on the top rail.
The Larue and ADM mounts were the most solid. They are for the most part a one piece unit. Only needing the clamping area for the rail and optic. The ARM's was the fanciest looking but it had the base a separate spacer and then the 2 piece mount. I never had issues with it though.

If you have a fixed Front Sight Post (FSP). I would recommend upgrading to the LaRue. If you plan on getting a magnifier get the forward canted one LT129.

If you plan on swapping between a red dot and scope then again get the LaRue or one of the other QD ones.

If you have flip up sights and won't be swapping optics you may not want to bother upgrading at all. I have heard but not experienced that the factory QRP2 mount can loosen with extremely hard use, and that an occasional tightening twist is recommended. I sold the QRP's before even trying them.

another one to look at is BOBRO.

Hope that helps

pscipio03
03-20-2014, 06:21 AM
Kept PRO stock mount. Have the Aimpoint 3X mag on a LaRue flip mount in front of it. Cowitness with flip up is a little high, but manageable.

smac61
03-20-2014, 07:44 PM
I'm perfectly happy with the factory mount on my 6920 (fixed FSB)

The aftermarket mounts will give you the choice of 1/3 co-witness if this is an issue. Personally, I prefer true co-witness. I believe one is using the sight incorrectly if the FSB is an issue, i.e. they look "through" the optic.

The quailty QD aftermarket mounts have very good zero retention. If you remove and replace the optic a lot, this may be helpful although I have not experience any issues with the factory mount in this regard myself.

Aftermarket mounts are generally more ascetically pleasing and perhaps lighter.

My thoughts anyhow...

Sasage
03-21-2014, 11:21 AM
I can't really seeing myself removing the optic. If I purchased another rifle I would buy a different optic, maybe a bargain red dot just for plinking.

Survivorman
04-30-2014, 02:05 AM
Larue. Enough said

Rara
05-08-2014, 01:58 PM
When I had a PRO I kept the stock mount, but did notice the occasional need to tighten it up as mentioned above. If I had not switched to a T-1 and sold the PRO, I would have gone with the LaRue offset mount because not only is it an excellent mount like all of the LaRue bits, it also has a spot to hold a spare of that oddball PRO battery.

paineman
05-29-2014, 10:57 AM
I also have the PRO, thanks for the info!

paineman
05-29-2014, 10:58 AM
When I had a PRO I kept the stock mount, but did notice the occasional need to tighten it up as mentioned above. If I had not switched to a T-1 and sold the PRO, I would have gone with the LaRue offset mount because not only is it an excellent mount like all of the LaRue bits, it also has a spot to hold a spare of that oddball PRO battery.

I was also thinking Larue, would like to be able to switch to a long range scope so would like a mount that will hold zero when removed.