PDA

View Full Version : Best way to sight in a new scope?

brotheryang
03-22-2014, 01:16 PM
A little something for the new forum. I have a new 3-9x32 scope for my sons .22 rifle. I would like to hear people's opinions on the best way/procedure to sight it in. I am hoping to draw on the wealth of knowledge and experience from our fine members here on MGO. Advice and contributions are appreciated!

cwo4uscgret
03-22-2014, 02:00 PM
One way is the two-shot method. Google it; but it amounts to firing one shot and without moving the gun from the first shot, adjust the scope reticles to align with the first shot. Amazingly if you do not move the rifle this works.......

bolonytony24
03-22-2014, 06:52 PM
you can have it laser bore sighted at most shops for about $8 . this will get you close to target. on a pie plate for example and just shoot it and dial it in from there. I usually shoot at 15-20yards to get close and then back the target up and pin point from bench or sand bag to keep the rifle steady to take your possible error in movement out of the equation.

GregK
03-22-2014, 10:28 PM
If it's a bolt action you can bore sight it yourself. Find a good support, rest the rifle on it, remove the bolt. Look down the bore & find a target, then raise your head up to the scope while holding the gun still & see where your cross hairs are. Then adjust your turrets until your cross hairs are in the same place as the view thru your bore. You can double & triple check as many times as you need. Then head to the range & start at 10-25 yards. Fire a few shots from a solid rest. Having a second person at this point is very helpful. While looking thru your scope & holding it as motionless as possible with the cross hairs on the bullseye, have the second person adjust your turrets as you watch the cross hairs move to the point of impact. Now you're sighted in. A little more tweaking may be needed. Have fun :)

fr3db3ar
03-23-2014, 04:28 AM
Greg's method is very close to what I do. If you can't hold it still just adjust as necessary. The key here is starting close to ensure you will on paper to see what needs adjusting then work your way out to the distance you want to zero.

LongAction
03-23-2014, 05:22 AM
I have 2 methods that have worked on every long gun I own. The first is to pull the bolt like mentioned above, and I also have a laserlyte bore sight. The bore sights about $50, and will get you on paper at 50 yards easily. I have used it on everything from a 22lr ar15 to a 50bmg bolt action.

03-23-2014, 06:52 AM
If you plan on being in shooting sports do yourself a favor and buy a laser bore site.
I bought the Site-Lite, best toy I bought in a long time.

DTruck
03-23-2014, 07:03 AM
I also do what Greg suggested. From the comfort of inside my home, I look down the barrel at a target it my yard (probably 30yds) while it is securely stationary. I then adjust the glass accordingly. This gets me on the paper at 100 yards for the fine tuning (whenever I get to a real range).

chosos
03-23-2014, 08:19 AM
I own a cheap laser bore sight. It gets me on paper every time. Once i'm on the paper, i shoot and adjust until it is spot on.

With the price of ammo, the bore sight will easily pay for itself.

brotheryang
03-23-2014, 09:12 PM
Thanks to everyone, these are some great suggestions!

langenc
04-05-2014, 10:22 PM
I tried to help a fellow sight in his 'new shotgun' last fall..

It had been lasered by the gun shop.

When I arrived I noticed this shooter at 50 yrds looking at a target. He shot a couple more slugs ($15/5) and still didnt hit the papr.

I invited him to the 25 yd and my BR rest and rear bag. He joined me and he shot one more. I looked thru spotting scope and noticed a 1/2 circle cut out of the top edge of the target. I suggested an adjustment.. "no, that is way too much and I only go one way at a time." He made about 1/2 enough adj on the elevation and didnt hit the target. He is now down to about 6 slugs ($3 each). We adjusted some more-one adjustment at a time, and not near enough clicks.

I think he finally hit the paper but had to leave for more slugs.

He shot $50 worth of slugs and accomplished NOTHING...

Always use a LARGE paper or cardboard behinds the target and start at 25 yards, if any question. It is ok to move both windage AND elevation between shots. Might want to write down number of clicks and weather windage or elevation-R vs L and Up vs down!!

The money you save will be your own.