PDA

View Full Version : rust removal and reblue

ColonelKurtz
08-26-2008, 02:24 PM
I have two Dan Wesson barrel shrouds with small but thick rust spots; what's the best way to remove these? One shroud is badly scratched all over and needs a complete reblue, who in SE MI can do a good reblue? The other I may just do a spot reblue with a cold reblue paste or something, does anyone have a favored product?

dougwtx
08-26-2008, 05:24 PM
Try letting that area soak with RemOil, WD40, CLP and then rub with 000/0000 steel wool. Using coarser steel wool will remove the blueing and possibly scratch the metal. This works for light surface rust. I've heard of people using a nickel also after soaking to scrape the rust away as a nickel is softer than gun steel. Birchwood Casey makes a rust and blue remover, but this will remove all blueing that it touches. The are products that claim rust removal without damage to blueing, but I have not tried those. Not sure if over-the-counter blueing stuff will get back the finish of a Dan Wesson as they have a pretty glossy deep blue. Sorry, no experience with any gunsmiths that do that kind of work. I'll be in searching for one soon to see if some scratches in a receiver can be removed.

RifleGuy
08-26-2008, 05:44 PM
I prefer either Kroil or CLP to soak the rust; let it soak over night, then gently work the area w/ 0000 steel wool. (Brownells sells a stainless 0000 that is excellent!)
For a cold blue, any of the Brownell's cold blues will work well. Apply them with a cotton patch and gently rub with a clean wad of the 0000 wool to blend. Repeat the application a couple of times and it should polish up nicely. Finish with a thin application of your favorite oil and the blemish should hide nicely.
Good luck!!

I've refinished a couple of old utility shotguns this way and they turned out looking rather nice.

ColonelKurtz
08-27-2008, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the tips. I'll give 'em a try and post how it came out.

Dongizmo
09-06-2008, 11:51 AM
Electric rust removal (http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm)
Scroll down to rust removal.
Don

Stazi
10-06-2008, 09:03 AM
Naval Jelly will remove rust and blue like it's children's water paint.

Then if you need to reblue, make sure you sandblast with a good grit first to improve the penetration of the blueing formula into the steel.

langenc
10-13-2008, 07:49 PM
Im goint to try some Brownells Oxpho Blue CREAM having already used the liquid. Anyone know where to get it locally-the cream?

Donzie
10-23-2008, 09:06 AM
Naval Jelly will remove rust and blue like it's children's water paint.

Then if you need to reblue, make sure you sandblast with a good grit first to improve the penetration of the blueing formula into the steel.

never ever EVER sandblast a firearm!!!!
some bead/silica blasting may work, but sand is a NO!

buff with a hard wheel and some light buffing compound.

who dat
10-23-2008, 10:17 AM
never ever EVER sandblast a firearm!!!!
some bead/silica blasting may work, but sand is a NO!

buff with a hard wheel and some light buffing compound.
Why not sandblast? Isn't sand primarily silica?

Donzie
10-23-2008, 10:38 AM
Why not sandblast? Isn't sand primarily silica?
sand is to aggressive will create to much heat. I recommend not blasting at all.
just buff it. take a bench grinder put a hard felt buffing wheel on it and take your time. the outcome will be far worth it. I promise.

who dat
10-23-2008, 10:40 AM
sand is to aggressive will create to much heat. I recommend not blasting at all.
just buff it. take a bench grinder put a hard felt buffing wheel on it and take your time. the outcome will be far worth it. I promise.
Gotcha...thanks.