PDA

View Full Version : High power Long range scope? Trijicon vs Night Force.

Ballzdeep
03-29-2014, 02:59 PM
Looking to upgrade optics on my magnum bolt gun. Looking at the Trijicon 5-20x50 & the comparable Night Force. Both around $1200+. All I hear is great about NF. Need optics for the 300-1000yd shots.

spiritzerothree
03-31-2014, 03:57 PM
in the $1200 range I'd be looking at an SWFA 5-20 or a Vortex PST 6-24FFP over the Trijocon offerings.

SuperSeal110
04-01-2014, 09:05 AM
Find a used NF with NPR1.

H.C.T. Dowding
04-01-2014, 10:51 PM
Definitely Night Force.

DP425
04-01-2014, 11:16 PM
Trijicon in this application is a very poor return on investment.

Be looking at a super sniper, vortex PST, used NF or used Bushnell DMR/HDMR

EricF517
04-02-2014, 07:20 AM
NF NXS if you are debating between the two. The Trij doesn't have near the adjustment range as the NF. Depending on what you are doing with the rifle make sure you read the difference between a FFP and SFP and understand it well before you make a decision. Like DP said, you can't go wrong with the DMR/HDMR, SWFA SS, PST, and from what I am hearing the new Burris XTR II is supposed to be really nice as well. I will let you know when I have one in my hands this week to go on top of my work rifle.

freakinhugebear
04-05-2014, 09:29 PM
I have first hand experience with the nightforce benchrest, vortex pst, sightron siii, although never had the pleasure of using a trij.

If you are at the $1200 range the only nightforce your going to afford is the benchrest 8-32x56. It does not have much internal adjustment at all, only 50 elevation total so if you have no moa base you will have 25 up, adding a 20moa base would be highly recommended for super long range stuff to make sure you don't run out or come close to running out of elevation. The benchrest ao focus is easy to use and effective, although it does bring you quite a bit higher when mounting off of the bore compared to side focus of the nxs. The glass on the benchrest I have used was freaking excellent, second to none and I mean none... but I have heard nightforce can be hit or miss, some excellent some decent. With nightforce you will not be dissapointed, it's basically a guaranteed squared away option, but you WILL pay more than it's worth for that in my opinion, but not by much. The vortex was unimpressive IMO. The Sightron siii is excellent and is a very close second to the nightforce in clarity, tracking is excellent, side focus paralax adjustment excellent, reticle excellent, tracking excellent, saving $400 in the process. I dig sightron and nightforce but your mileage may vary.

mmissile
04-14-2014, 07:39 AM
I've had 2 of the Trijicon units. Both work great, and have nice glass. I also found both units for $800 or less, NIB. Keep your eyes open.

NHardy
04-14-2014, 07:43 AM
The Trijicon is a great scope. The glass that is used in the Trijicons is cut at the same factory that the Nightforce scope is. Trijicon is also a Michigan based company and has great customer service.

EricF517
04-15-2014, 08:30 PM
I have first hand experience with the nightforce benchrest, vortex pst, sightron siii, although never had the pleasure of using a trij.

If you are at the $1200 range the only nightforce your going to afford is the benchrest 8-32x56. It does not have much internal adjustment at all, only 50 elevation total so if you have no moa base you will have 25 up, adding a 20moa base would be highly recommended for super long range stuff to make sure you don't run out or come close to running out of elevation. The benchrest ao focus is easy to use and effective, although it does bring you quite a bit higher when mounting off of the bore compared to side focus of the nxs. The glass on the benchrest I have used was freaking excellent, second to none and I mean none... but I have heard nightforce can be hit or miss, some excellent some decent. With nightforce you will not be dissapointed, it's basically a guaranteed squared away option, but you WILL pay more than it's worth for that in my opinion, but not by much. The vortex was unimpressive IMO. The Sightron siii is excellent and is a very close second to the nightforce in clarity, tracking is excellent, side focus paralax adjustment excellent, reticle excellent, tracking excellent, saving $400 in the process. I dig sightron and nightforce but your mileage may vary.

That is assuming that when you put the optic on you truly have the 25MOA of elevation left after zeroing in the rifle. Hence the reason I wouldn't recommend the Trijicon as it has such limited elevation.

I should have the new Burris XTR II in a few weeks for the department's 308. From everyone I have talked to I am looking forward to putting it through the paces.

DP425
04-15-2014, 09:29 PM

Deals on the NSX line can be found (used)
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=7&f=163&t=975246

freakinhugebear
04-15-2014, 09:50 PM
Meanwhile the sightron siii and me did a 20 shot group today prone at 200 yards...

http://i59.tinypic.com/3010vhx.jpg

evilcoon
04-15-2014, 10:42 PM
Trijicon makes some of the best scopes on the market but when it comes to long range, there are better options. I would definitely look into SWFA, best bang for the buck hands down.

Shyster
04-16-2014, 06:49 AM
Ok, I'm also in the market here. SWFA or Nightforce? Or Viper Razor HD II?

Going on top of a Steyr SSG .308

DP425
04-16-2014, 10:40 AM
Ok, I'm also in the market here. SWFA or Nightforce? Or Viper Razor HD II?

Going on top of a Steyr SSG .308

Razor HD II would, in my opinion, be above the Nightforce NSX, but likely on bar with the ATACR... and just below the BEAST; All three, Razor, ATACR and BEAST are great, higher end optics- not absolute top of the pack, but not far from it.

The Nightforce NSX F1 line offers illuminated reticle- if this isn't important, time to look at the Bushnell DMR 3.5-21x or ERS 3.5-21x / 4.5-30x. DMR series do not have zero stops and have 5mil/revolution turrets. The two ERS models I mentioned are very close to the same as the DMR but they add zero stops and 10mil/rev turrets. G2 reticle would be what it is at. The Bushnell optics offer more elevation over the NSX, glass that is about equal, more compact length, turret locks and a more robust design. Nightforce has 10mil/rev turrets and hasn't produced the 5mil version in a few years.

Stepping down a notch and you're squarely even up on the SWFA and Vortex Viper PST line. Some may dispute this, but I would say these are pretty comparable optics. They are more mid range where the Bushy and NSX line are sort of upper mid... But they give up very little.

Honestly, you cannot go wrong with any of the above. Price point should likely be the driving factor as to which group you land in. After that look at features that are important to you and warranty. I am running Bushnell now (sold off my Nightforce, still have one USO... which are my all time favorite, though considerably more expensive than mil-discount Bushnell) as illuminated reticle isn't overly important to me and I've had an experience with them which resulted in giving me the product I'd ordered through their military sales 100% for free because of a couple months delay in shipment from their supplier. And I'm not talking scope rings here either! Few places have given me the amazing customer service I've received from Bushnell.

EricF517
04-16-2014, 06:17 PM
DP has some valid points. It really boils down to how much are you willing to spend? What reticule do you want? I have to say I had the opportunity to look through a USO, S&B, NF, Bushnell HDMR, and a Razor all at the same time. If money wasn't the deciding factor it would be the USO. If it was a $ issue I would at least go for the Razor if I could.

Batman
04-16-2014, 11:11 PM
DP has some valid points. It really boils down to how much are you willing to spend? What reticule do you want? I have to say I had the opportunity to look through a USO, S&B, NF, Bushnell HDMR, and a Razor all at the same time. If money wasn't the deciding factor it would be the USO. If it was a $ issue I would at least go for the Razor if I could.I did the same thing and went with the Bushnell HDMR. For the $ to me it's the best deal out there. And in fact I sold my NF to get it.

freakinhugebear
04-17-2014, 07:50 AM
keep in mind that looking through these scopes to compare them only compares one thing... glass clarity. the nightforce glass is very decent but has a bulletproof tracking reputation. Are you a serious dialer? do you prefer hold overs with bdc or moahash reticles? I own and love bushnells but I don't know that their repeatability can match nf. If you are going to set your zero and mostly hold over you can save yourself a TON of money, if you are going to dial for shots out to 1000 yards or further you need a scope with plenty of internal moa and the ability to be able to shoot on max elevation and then come back down to zero and be dead nuts on.

The only true test for these that I would take to heart is zeroing at 200. (i'll use my 308's ballistics as an example.) come up 3 moa at 300 yards, shoot ten rounds. come up 6 moa at 400 yards, shoot ten. come up 10 moa at 500, shoot ten rounds. come up 14 moa at 600, shoot ten rounds. Then dial all the way back down to 200 and shoot "the box" and a return to zero shot.

I know NF can do that since most guys at prone matches do it with them all day. I don't know if the vortex, or bushnell can, but they most likely should. The point i'm making is the nf has a rock solid reputation for being an excellently reliable tracking scope and that is what you pay for. If you don't mind testing the others out for yourself you might be able to get a really nice scope with maybe better glass that equals the tracking of the nf. I would not count out the sighron siii, maybe i'm beating a dead horse on that one, but I have tested tracking only out to 300 so far and it's very repeatable. The glass is over the vortex pst, I would say equal to NF since the benchrest has a 56mm obj and siii has 50mm. but the sightron is half the price of the benchrest.

DP425
04-17-2014, 11:05 PM
keep in mind that looking through these scopes to compare them only compares one thing... glass clarity. the nightforce glass is very decent but has a bulletproof tracking reputation. Are you a serious dialer? do you prefer hold overs with bdc or moahash reticles? I own and love bushnells but I don't know that their repeatability can match nf. If you are going to set your zero and mostly hold over you can save yourself a TON of money, if you are going to dial for shots out to 1000 yards or further you need a scope with plenty of internal moa and the ability to be able to shoot on max elevation and then come back down to zero and be dead nuts on.

The only true test for these that I would take to heart is zeroing at 200. (i'll use my 308's ballistics as an example.) come up 3 moa at 300 yards, shoot ten rounds. come up 6 moa at 400 yards, shoot ten. come up 10 moa at 500, shoot ten rounds. come up 14 moa at 600, shoot ten rounds. Then dial all the way back down to 200 and shoot "the box" and a return to zero shot.

I know NF can do that since most guys at prone matches do it with them all day. I don't know if the vortex, or bushnell can, but they most likely should. The point i'm making is the nf has a rock solid reputation for being an excellently reliable tracking scope and that is what you pay for. If you don't mind testing the others out for yourself you might be able to get a really nice scope with maybe better glass that equals the tracking of the nf. I would not count out the sighron siii, maybe i'm beating a dead horse on that one, but I have tested tracking only out to 300 so far and it's very repeatable. The glass is over the vortex pst, I would say equal to NF since the benchrest has a 56mm obj and siii has 50mm. but the sightron is half the price of the benchrest.

Do you have or have you used the DMR, HDMR, or any of the other optics based on these?

I've found very few people you speak poorly about these offerings. They are NOT your bushnell's of 5 years ago.