PDA

View Full Version : Manufacturing a jam for practice clearing it?

LibertyComrade
04-01-2014, 10:44 AM
Hey all,

So my GF and I are both relative firearm novices. I bought Snap Caps for all of our various chamberings (12ga, 5.56 and 9mm). One thing that I would really like for both of us to practice is how to properly clear jams. Is there a good way to reproduce a jam with Snap Caps to then practice clearing them?

We'd specifically be using the following firearm makes/models:
- AR-15's (DPMS and Bushmaster if it matters, but I assume it wouldn't)
- Beretta AL391 Urika
- Mossberg 500's
- S&W M&P 9c

Thanks!

Pyzik
04-01-2014, 11:13 AM
Depends on what kind of failure you're wanting to induce.

If you're doing live fire and want to introduce a failure to fire, load each others mags and slip a snap cap or two somewhere in the mag.
When the snap cap fails to fire run the "tap rack bang" drill.

You can also put a snap cap in backward (not with the shotgun though) and it will introduce a failure to feed.

LibertyComrade
04-01-2014, 11:57 AM
Depends on what kind of failure you're wanting to induce.

If you're doing live fire and want to introduce a failure to fire, load each others mags and slip a snap cap or two somewhere in the mag.
When the snap cap fails to fire run the "tap rack bang" drill.

You can also put a snap cap in backward (not with the shotgun though) and it will introduce a failure to feed.

Thanks!

When you say to put the Snap Cap in backwards, do you mean directly into the chamber or fed from a magazine where it was loaded into the magazine backwards?

Pyzik
04-01-2014, 11:59 AM
Load it into the magazine backward.

That'll make the gun do all kinds of fun stuff (without hurting the gun, typically snap caps are softer than the slide, bolt and/or chamber).

You're welcome.

It's tapatalk's fault.

thatguy423
04-01-2014, 02:50 PM
Spent brass works better than snap caps if you really wanna *** your gun up.. Great training aid.

Draken
04-01-2014, 02:58 PM
can also close your slide on one sticking out the top or side to simulate a stove-pipe and clearing those, but most of these drills can be done with spent brass as thatguy said.

PaulB84
04-03-2014, 06:17 PM
Hey all,

So my GF and I are both relative firearm novices. I bought Snap Caps for all of our various chamberings (12ga, 5.56 and 9mm). One thing that I would really like for both of us to practice is how to properly clear jams. Is there a good way to reproduce a jam with Snap Caps to then practice clearing them?

We'd specifically be using the following firearm makes/models:
- AR-15's (DPMS and Bushmaster if it matters, but I assume it wouldn't)
- Beretta AL391 Urika
- Mossberg 500's
- S&W M&P 9c

Thanks!

Good job going after tough issues like malfunction clearing. Get used to moving and shooting as well. (Go slow tho. Leave the range with the same number of holes you started with)

PS you'll appreciate running the full size floorplates on the m&pc the first time you attempt a one handed doublefeed.

1969tempest
04-03-2014, 06:24 PM
Just run some bulk UMC ammo, the jams will come every which way. :winker:

MJssr
04-03-2014, 11:08 PM
snap caps or dummy rounds (if you reload) are great training aids, just make sure to make the a bright color so you can easily find them when you eject them to god knows were when your doing your drills.

elwarpo
04-04-2014, 01:23 PM
Next time you are at the range pick up some wrong size brass (different caliber) and you will get some interesting jams. Best part is the brass is soft and will deform not hurting the weapon.