PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: YAHOO email users **RESOLVED AGAIN**

PhotoTom
04-06-2014, 11:31 AM
>>>NOTE: THIS ISSUE HAS BEEN RESOLVED<<<

I have been getting a number of rejected emails (not delivered to the intended recipient) where the sender (using the email interface on the forums) is FROM yahoo.

Many of the user-sent emails include responses to Marketplace ads.

The issue is, when the email is sent via the forum software, it shows your (yahoo) email address in the "from" field, yet the email is being sent via migunowners.org...therefore it looks like a "spoofed" email appearing to be made to look like it is being sent from a yahoo email address when it wasn't truly originating from a yahoo email sender.

So far, I am seeing bounce-backs from gmail, yahoo, sbcglobal and att.net...however, as stated, they ONLY bounce-back when the sender uses a yahoo email address.

So, if you have a yahoo email address, be forewarned, your email sent via the forums will NOT go though to the intended recipient.

We are working on resolving this in the mean time.

- Admin

PhotoTom
04-07-2014, 09:55 AM
Bump for new info after more detailed investigation of the issue.

Previously, I thought this issue was only happening with emails sent "to" a gmail address, but as detailed above, that isn't the case.
The common denominator of all bounce-backs is when the sender is using a YAHOO email address.

-Admin

PhotoTom
04-08-2014, 02:45 PM
We're not the only ones experiencing this problem. it is indeed a new security policy that yahoo put into effect this past week...

http://marketingland.com/email-senders-stymied-yahoo-mail-79442?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=channel-feed&utm_content=emailmarketing

Small businesses using Yahoo.com email addresses to send to their customers or prospects have run into significant trouble getting messages delivered this week, since Yahoo Mail instituted a security change that’s resulted in an untold number of bounces.

And the problem isn’t likely to be short-lived, as these bounces may result in recipients being removed from email lists entirely, due to their addresses’ bouncing. This could cause a serious amount of damage to the companies’ email lists, as they may lose a large percentage of subscribers inadvertently.

It’s happening, according to email expert John Levine, because Yahoo over the weekend implemented a change that basically tells all recipients, including Hotmail, Gmail, AOL, etc., to reject any mail originating from a Yahoo.com address if it fails certain tests. In this case, the test is that the sender email address domain must match the domain of the server actually sending the email — which isn’t necessarily the case if people use mailing lists or other software to send email for them, rather than using the Yahoo.com STMP servers themselves.

So, the problem applies not only to small businesses but to anyone using a Yahoo.com sending address to participate in a mailing list that uses other servers.

Here’s an example of headers in which the “from” address and sender authentication don’t match, with the email coming from mncompanionrabbit.org and the actual sending server being from email service provider Constant Contact:

We’ve reached out to Yahoo for a comment and information on their future plans, but haven’t yet heard back. Should we receive a response, we’ll provide an update.

In the meantime, Levine suggests that senders get a new non-Yahoo address to send mail from, and exhorts list managers to suspend posts from yahoo.com senders to limit the possible damage to the list. As a workaround, Levine says list managers who have source code for their software can “add a hack to check for yahoo.com From: addresses and change them to something like “Address redacted,” which will avoid triggering DMARC.”

As for that last "workaround" mentioned, I can do that, but it will mean that when a yahoo email sender uses the forum email function, the receiver will not be able to reply back...

If you are in love with your yahoo email address, I urge you to contact them and voice your objection to this new security policy...depending on how and where you use your email address, this (MGO) issue is the tip of the iceburg...

I bolded-out the part about constant contact (above) since that is what we use to send-out our newsletters. What this new yahoo policy means is, you will no longer receive our newsletters (or any other email sent from ANYONE using constant contact or other similar bulk email handlers)...

Otherwise, as suggested, get a new email address from another provider.

-Admin

PhotoTom
04-09-2014, 06:47 AM
Update to above article:

A Yahoo spokesperson confirms that the company has made the change, but won’t elaborate on whether it is considering reversing it:

We are currently experimenting with an anti-abuse technology that helps us protect our users from phishing and spoofing attacks. As a result of this experiment, a small percentage of our users who use service providers external to Yahoo may experience issues. Affected users can visit our help page to learn more. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

As of this posting, I am still seeing yahoo users trying to use the forum mail feature...and their emails are still bouncing back...

-Admin

PhotoTom
04-10-2014, 07:06 AM
I'm still getting a number of bounce-back emails sent though the forums where the SENDER'S email address is a yahoo.com email address.

TO BE CLEAR...
It does NOT matter what the RECEIVER'S email address is...the issue is if YOU have a yahoo email address as the SENDER.

When you send an email though the forum, it shows your address as the "from" address. This way, if the receiver replies to it, the reply goes to YOU.

HOWEVER, since it was sent though the forum, the SENDER info in the header shows it came from migunowners.org (vs your email domain). Therefore, there is a mismatch between the "From" info and the "Sender" info. This works fine with all email domains EXCEPT YAHOO since they changed their policies last week. If anyone sends an email TO a yahoo email address via the forum, it goes through fine (yahoo doesn't reject inbound emails with the same mismatch...rather, they have instructed all other email domains (gmail, sbcglobal, etc) to REJECT any emails that show they came from a yahoo domain, but were sent from a different domain).

So again, in summary...
It does NOT matter what the RECEIVER'S email address is...the issue is if YOU have a yahoo email address as the SENDER. IF YOU DO, THE EMAIL WILL NOT GO THROUGH!

-Admin

PhotoTom
04-10-2014, 01:16 PM
If you are unsure of your email address in your profile, you can find/change it here:
http://www.migunowners.org/forum/profile.php?do=editpassword

IF THE EMAIL SHOWN IN THE ABOVE LINK IS A @YAHOO.COM ADDRESS, YOUR EMAIL WILL NOT GO THROUGH WHEN TRYING TO SEND EMAIL TO ANOTHER MEMBER USING THE FORUM INTERFACE.

It does absolutely NO GOOD to send a message advising the intended recipient to respond to an alternate email address...if your forum account email address (above link) is @yahoo.com...the intended recipient will NOT receive the email, period!

PLEASE NOTE:
When you make a change to the email address in your profile, you must complete the email confirmation step (like when you first created your forum account). You will receive a confirmation email and you MUST complete the process, as outlined in that email, or you will be unable to post/access all of the forums.

- Admin

PhotoTom
05-06-2014, 12:50 PM
THIS ISSUE HAS BEEN RESOLVED

I have successfully modified the forum software due to this ongoing issue.
Yahoo email addresses are no longer an issue.

-Admin

balrog006
05-06-2014, 08:38 PM
Awesome Tom, thanks!

PhotoTom
12-29-2014, 05:16 PM
It once again appears this is an issue after today's forum software update…looks like it undid what I did to fix this issue…

I will look into what I did the last time and redo it…but in the mean time, emails may not go though…

-Admin

PhotoTom
12-29-2014, 06:09 PM
OK, I believe I have resolved this once again.

-Admin

zigziggityzoo
12-29-2014, 06:21 PM
OK, I believe I have resolved this once again.

-Admin

Sorry bout that.

PhotoTom
12-29-2014, 06:23 PM
Sorry bout that.

Updates need to be done…I just wish vBulletin would fix this instead of having to hack php files to make their software work…
This will happen every time we do updates to vBulletin…until they fix it themselves.