PDA

View Full Version : Detroit River Fishing question

1173jared
04-25-2014, 01:40 PM
Hey guys,

anybody familiar with the detroit river? I have a 22ft bayliner trophy I/O (a pretty deep hull/large boat), and I am wondering if it would do ok on the river for walleye fishing? im Just concerned about hitting bottom. I know large freighters go on the river, but i seem to find the low areas like on Lake St. Clair, and I have never been on the river.
Thanks in advance.

Shyster
04-25-2014, 01:48 PM
A 22' bayliner is SMALL for the Detroit River. You will be fine.

Best bet will be to launch at Elizabeth Park in Trenton and fish the the Edison plant. This time of year you can walk from boat to boat in that area. The walleye like the warm water coming discharging from the plant.

TomE
04-25-2014, 01:48 PM
Charts are your friend,along with a depth finder and GPS

MSUICEMAN
04-25-2014, 02:12 PM
you would be fine with the draft of your boat other than areas down near gibraltar and a couple rocky areas around the northern islands. mid river you'd be fine in that regards. boat control would be the pain in the butt. vertical jigging like you'd be doing right now involves VERY good boat control to dope the current and keep your line vertical while maintaining feel/contact to bottom.... if you can't pull that off, better to stay at home.

bolonytony24
04-25-2014, 02:45 PM
metro park ramp is better launch IMO than Elizabeth but both are good . most of the walleye fishing is between Uss steel in ecorse all the way down to Edison . most of this is 28-30' of water but south side of discharge is only about 8' along the wall . if you do laugh from metro park just keep it between the markers in the channel and watch your depth finder. good luck

oldfart
04-25-2014, 03:33 PM
With a boat like that you may want to look into hand lining, plenty of U Tube videos about it. Also on the river you want to be careful with the boarder, especially if you're carrying.
I would invest in a good GPS with depth charts, always kept me out of trouble, well almost always.

bolonytony24
04-25-2014, 03:50 PM
^^^ yes, avoid Canadian water

1173jared
04-25-2014, 04:07 PM
Thanks everyone. I might just wait till mid may when they head for lk st. Clair and troll for em. I can't stand boating in close quarters with other boats, I'm not that confident yet with my boat.

JohnJak
04-25-2014, 05:03 PM
I miss hand-lining with my Dad.

bolonytony24
04-25-2014, 07:01 PM
Thanks everyone. I might just wait till mid may when they head for lk st. Clair and troll for em. I can't stand boating in close quarters with other boats, I'm not that confident yet with my boat.
try and get out during the week if you can, id like to go tomorrow but another tournament going on this weekend and seems that anybody with a boat has been out there . ive been hearing complaints of guys cutting off your drifts and trouble launching /loading with all the yahoo's out here.

Magnum Man
04-26-2014, 07:01 AM
We jig during the day and go to the handlines after the sun goes down.