PDA

View Full Version : Eye doctor/ shooter friendly in metro Detroit?

brotheryang
05-04-2014, 09:40 PM
Hopefully this is the right forum for this. I am looking for an eye doctor that has experience with glasses for shooters. Preferably the western Detroit suburbs. I am currently using dime store cheaters, but suspect I may need something better. Any recommendations? Thanks.

juicemon
05-04-2014, 10:13 PM
I had a pair made at Sam's Club Optical. I told them I wanted some "electrician's/plumber's glasses". It puts the near vision part of the bifocals in the top of the lens instead of the bottom. Takes some getting used to, but the front sight is really clear and sharp. Hope this helps.
juice

denniscoon@aol.c
05-05-2014, 08:38 AM
Don't know if this will help. I have not seen my pistol front sights in years, as my shooting sport requires to shoot both pistol and rifle, bifocals would not work with the rifle, I couldn't tilt my head back far enough for them to work. I went online and found full lens readers in +125, and they work great. Welding shops sometimes carry these, and they are good safety glasses and cheap. Only problem with the full lens readers is when you are walking, it creates a problem, I just change to regular shooting glasses, and switch to the readers when it is my time to shoot. Hope this helps.

Browning Guy
05-05-2014, 10:07 AM
I am a step ahead of you on the road to poor vision. Cheaters quit working. I currently wear tri-focals. It's not so bad with pistols but won't work with iron sights on rifles, shotguns, or bows. I went looking for a solution. I met with the eye Dr. at Pearle vision center in Brighton (SE corner of I96 and Grand River I don't have his card with me right now sorry). I explained what I needed and he said he can set up a focal "spot" right at the edge of my right lens along the nose that would focus at "front sight" distance. The left eye would remain as is with 3 focal depths. The right eye would be a "distance" lens with an "intermediate spot" right on the nose edge of my lens. I wanted the change but the cost is a current roadblock. I am on a fixed income and have to fatten my piggy bank a little more to make it happen. Hope this might help and good luck with your quest.

One of Many
05-05-2014, 03:51 PM
I have my eyeglasses configured for Distance in the left eye, and for end-of-arm focus in the right eye (my dominant hand), and bi-focal spots for reading in the usual location on each lens. That allows me to see the sights and across the room with my right eye, and distances with the left eye for driving, and reading at book-on-the-belly distances.

tri-focals don't work for me as the focal bands are too narrow. I think my solution is called mono-vision, and is common for people that use contact lenses.

brotheryang
05-06-2014, 01:23 PM
I had a pair made at Sam's Club Optical. I told them I wanted some "electrician's/plumber's glasses". It puts the near vision part of the bifocals in the top of the lens instead of the bottom. Takes some getting used to, but the front sight is really clear and sharp. Hope this helps.
juice

Now that you mention that, I think I've seen safety glasses like that, with the magnification on the top. I'll have to look around for that. Thanks.

Roundballer
05-06-2014, 02:02 PM
Now that you mention that, I think I've seen safety glasses like that, with the magnification on the top. I'll have to look around for that. Thanks.
Occupational Bi/Tri-focals. Also known as "Double-Ds"
http://www.allaboutvision.com/over40/work_bifocals.htm

john.41
05-06-2014, 03:16 PM
I guess you could buy a set of stick-on reading lenses, and put them at the top of your shooting glasses and see how it works.
I have some on a pair of polarized fishing glasses for tying knots.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=stick-on+reading+lenses&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=1470527360&ref=pd_sl_7fzhdgggw1_pp

matt11
05-06-2014, 03:30 PM
I was at Henery Ford optomize near westland mall. The woman that was getting my glasses told me she has done presrciptions for competition shooter, that have the bicocal section tilted on the glasses for them.

leo33
05-07-2014, 05:43 PM
Old gorge at bagley optical on 14th and bagley downtown detroit will make you whatever you need.

costanza
05-13-2014, 08:08 AM
Hey Guys:
This is a great topic! I am 50 ish and nearsighted, but can read up close without corrective lenses. I'd like to hear more about glasses for pistol shooting, especially to allow front/rear sight focus at arm's length. When I wear my contacts, I cannot see anything very close. Wearing glasses allow me to look over the glasses to see the sights, but then my distance vision is blurry. I would like to have a special pair of glasses made, but, like Browning Guy, my finances are very limited. Even the eye exam is out of reach right now...
Regards,
Costanza

langenc
05-13-2014, 09:35 PM
Too bad the 5 and dimes are gone...

Redd Foxx was shopping at one and looking at glasses. The young clerk asked "can I help you, Sir?"
He said "No, Im looking for glasses for my neighbor."

If Redd could get to one (5 and 10) he could get what you need and send them to you.

agksimon
05-15-2014, 05:35 AM
There is an optical store in Standale Michigan, just west of Grand Rapids, that caters to shooters. It's run by Doug Cramer and he made me glasses that are slightly taller, top to bottom than I used to wear. He moved the start of the progressive lens power, up by a couple of millimeters and with a taller lens, there's more progression ground into them. You get used to them quite quickly and I can now, even at 69-years-old, see the front and rear fiber optic sights on my pistols with no problem. If it's dimmer light and using regular sights, I can very slightly slide the glasses upward for more power and it works very well.

Shyster
05-15-2014, 05:44 AM
Dr. John Compton in Taylor. He is president of Carleton Sportsman's Club and an all-around good guy.