PDA

View Full Version : bow fishing

mark51185
05-09-2014, 04:49 AM
So me and a buddy just went out bought bow fishing set ups thought this would be fun to give it a shot neither one of us have ever done it before so just looking for some tips and helpful hints any one might have and I'm really looking for help on what lakes around me would be good for doing this I'm located in st.John's not really looking to travail to far any help any one can be is really appreciated

bolonytony24
05-09-2014, 06:51 AM
this is a good time. you will need to get some target practice in. shots need to be under your target and the deeper the fish the lower you will have to shoot. you have to adjust for the bend in light and curve of the arrows flight in water. night time with a decent spotlight is a good way to start. when/if the water gets warmed up the carp will start rolling around the top and make easier targets. find some shallow sandy areas in just about any lake and have fun.

mark51185
05-09-2014, 07:34 AM
Thanks any one know what lakes around me that have a lot of carp in them ?? And I know theirs the back waters right off of 127 in st John's not sure if that would be good or not

TomE
05-09-2014, 08:15 AM
Docks in front of a waterfront restaurant usually have carp year round for some odd reason.

Jackam
05-09-2014, 01:23 PM
And I know theirs the back waters right off of 127 in st John's not sure if that would be good or not

LOTS of carp there! A lot of that is wade-able too. It silts up bad though.

mark51185
05-09-2014, 03:29 PM
Thx I have noticed that it dose get weedy tho I was thinking sleepy hollow but not sure if theirs any carp in their or even muskrat lake has some low Canales on the back side of the lake but I don't know if there's any carp in their either

my-handyman
05-09-2014, 06:38 PM
Mark51185: You will have a blast once you get the hang of shooting low! I'm sure you know and this is just a FYI, you need a fishing license to bow fish. Most of my bow fishing is in rivers, very little hold under in river shooting. You can just sit and wait for them to come by or wade. You can not shoot enough carp. There are people ,when they see me, they will sit on the bank with me and take all the fish I can get bank, some times they will trade a 6 pack for the fish!!
Have fun!!

fr3db3ar
05-09-2014, 08:26 PM
Like handy said. When you think you're on target, aim a couple inches lower. When you start shooting under them you can bring it back up. Good luck, it's a blast.
Handy I don't know where you fish. I can't find people to take fish.

Jackam
05-09-2014, 09:07 PM
Shiawassee State game area has some great areas too.

mark51185
05-09-2014, 11:51 PM
Yeah I was kinda wondering to I haven't herd of to many people wanting carp and I'll half to look into the shiawassee state game area not sure where that's at from me

mfytczyk
05-10-2014, 12:34 AM
it is a blast I found a sunken 2 liter bottle makes a good practice target I have not had it damage my arrow it will at least let you see how far down you have to aim to get the hang of it. bull head are fun to shoot at hard to hit but at least they are tasty

scecil
05-10-2014, 03:13 AM
Best advice I got when first starting, "aim low, then aim lower".

It can be frustrating at first, but as soon as you stick a couple, you'll see what we mean.

I love me some bowfishing.

mark51185
05-11-2014, 02:28 PM
Thanks can't waight till my stuff comes in this week I'll be out trying my luck next weekend