PDA

View Full Version : Public Lands

dirtdog
09-08-2008, 06:23 PM
How are the national forests during firearm deer season? I plan on hitting these for small game and grouse this year, but I'm a little leery about getting out there during the firearm deer season.

Do they get pretty packed or does it depend on where you're at?

remingtondude58
09-08-2008, 07:39 PM
Ive never been there before but plan on spending a week at Hiawatha national forest this November

dukers65
09-08-2008, 07:52 PM
opening day is on saturday.you'll probably see a good number of hunters
but by sunday afternoon the numbers will dwindle substantially.
i hunt lake county and usually by the 3rd day i have the forest to myself.

doe hunting will also affect the number of hunters in an area.

the big thing is enjoy all the activity going on around you while you are in the great outdoors.

good luck, dan

remingtondude58
09-08-2008, 08:02 PM
we are hoping gas prices will keep people from going north

Done Deal
09-09-2008, 07:46 PM
After today's thirty cent jump...you might just get your wish.

Diabolus
09-09-2008, 08:33 PM
How are the national forests during firearm deer season? I plan on hitting these for small game and grouse this year, but I'm a little leery about getting out there during the firearm deer season.

Do they get pretty packed or does it depend on where you're at?

Where are you headed? I only ask because in my opinion a lot depends on where you go. I hunt public lands, some areas I've only hunted once due to overcrowding. But others have been great.

dirtdog
09-09-2008, 09:44 PM
Looking to go in the Luzerne area, Huron National Forest areas specifically.
I plan on giving the national forest service a call just to see if they have any useful info, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

cliffd
09-10-2008, 07:33 AM
The perimeter is like a pumpkin patch. Nobody seems to travel more than 100 yards from the road. Do some scouting and head inland and you will be happy you did.

Tyro
09-15-2008, 08:59 PM
+1.

Most hunters on public land won't walk more than a few hundred yards away from their cars.

I've hunted public land for years, and if your willing to walk a bit, and stay out at least until 11:00 AM, you will have the place to yourself.

seif5034
09-17-2008, 09:53 AM
some of the most successful hunters I know (where I hunt) on public land are either real close to the road, or deep in there a ways.