PDA

View Full Version : Finding a safe

lilditty
06-03-2014, 10:57 AM
Hi all,

Looking for a small safe. I don't want a specific "pistol" safe as those are probably smaller than what I'm looking for. I'm looking for something with around a cubic foot of space so I could keep ammo and maybe some valuables along with a couple hand guns.

My main concern is security. Not really looking for fire protection or biometrics. I want a good lock and I don't want it to be easy to bypass the lock through dropping or prying.

I was hoping to find something used as my budget is kind of tight. Does anyone have thoughts on a specific safe and/or where to look for a good used safe besides craigslist?

Thanks!

CircuitRider
06-03-2014, 11:27 AM
Would something like this meet your needs & budget?
http://www.staples.com/First-Alert-2092DF-131-cu-ft-Waterproof-Fire-Safe-With-Digital-Lock/product_209255

Head11977
06-03-2014, 08:48 PM
I would only sudjest that you double the size you think you will need. You can always have open space in it, but you will never be able to stretch it. When my wife and I bought ours we found a smoking deal on one massive safe, 60 wide and 72 high and standard depth. It weights over 1700 pounds, and we thought that we would never fill it. But that was not the case, we found our firearms was only a small part of things we stuffed into it. A lot of the things we put in it had no monetary value but family value. Pictures, hard drive, and and important papers and the such.

lilditty
06-03-2014, 10:16 PM
Circuit size and price wise that would work. The waterproof makes me nervous because of moisture build up in the safe. I wasn't sure about the full security of a basic safe compared to one that was more expensive but is now used and older but in good condition.

Head, thanks for the advice. I agree with what you're saying and plan on buying a bigger safe down the road. I don't have the budget I want to get a proper rifle sized safe so this would be a starter safe for now.

Safes & Guns
07-11-2014, 01:05 PM
Hi all
Safes Unlimited here. We just received 2 ( BRAND NEW just out) Hornady Pistol Safes. First impression is excellent. They have multiple ways of entry including RF card, RF key ring, touch pad entry and barrel key. They work either with batteries or plug into the wall. Any full size pistol fits between 2 pieces of foam and when opened the top of safe springs open and pistol is right there for you.
Truly one of the best we have seen yet.

coltsdad396
07-11-2014, 01:30 PM
Just my two cents here,,,,Do not waste your time and money on the small toaster safes,,,If they cant pick the lock,,they just take it with them,,,,,all are bad bad bad,,,,,,,,Just wait till you have the money for a bigger more advanced safe,,,,,and I also agree with the other guys,,,,,figure out what you think you need and go one size bigger,,,,,The wife and I stuff all kinds of items in our's,,,,,once again just my two cents,,,,,,,,better safe than pregnant !!!!!,,,lol