PDA

View Full Version : Meet & Greet- August??

dmd7765
06-04-2014, 08:08 AM
Anyone want to take the lead on the next meet & greet? We have done one in Westland & St Clair Shores. Restaurant that is gun friendly, prefer a private room or any area where we wont disrupt the other patrons.

PM dmd7765 or Mikeb32 if you are interested in taking the lead.

Thanks

DEVIL DOG
06-08-2014, 11:44 AM
The first meet in Westland had a fair turnout. The second one in St.Clair Shores should have been better, but only 6 bodies showed up. What can we do to get more folks to show up?

Ruger
06-08-2014, 11:56 AM
The first meet in Westland had a fair turnout. The second one in St.Clair Shores should have been better, but only 6 bodies showed up. What can we do to get more folks to show up?

Give something away? I'll donate 100 rounds of 9mm! :thumbup:

mikeb32
06-08-2014, 12:20 PM
We can donate some Merchandise!!

SeeTee
06-08-2014, 12:22 PM
"The first meet in Westland had a fair turnout. The second one in St.Clair Shores should have been better, but only 6 bodies showed up. What can we do to get more folks to show up? "

The person that comes up the solution gets the chicken dinner! Seriously, it's a problem nobody has found an answer to and so far the suggestions people have come up with have been done, suggested before, been there, done that, didn't work, nobody cared.

Speaking of nobody caring, Remember all the whining, bitc...., ready to string them up (the BOD ) the I would run the .org perfect if I was on the BOD talk of several month's past ?

Well there are 5, count them 5!!! BOD seats open this year and how many new volunteers have stepped up to bid for election? crickets!!!!!!!!!!!

"Give something away? I'll donate 100 rounds of 9mm " Doubt it would work, people would complain it wasn't the right cal. for them to bother to come out for!

But Thank you for the offer to do so!!!!

Heck, we give a gun away FREE just for voting, you don't even have to be there, ( I think you should if you can, IMHO ) but anyway we had a better response last year because of it, but for the number of members eligible to vote, it was a very poor showing.

Ruger
06-08-2014, 12:38 PM
"The first meet in Westland had a fair turnout. The second one in St.Clair Shores should have been better, but only 6 bodies showed up. What can we do to get more folks to show up? "

The person that comes up the solution gets the chicken dinner! Seriously, it's a problem nobody has found an answer to and so far the suggestions people have come up with have been done, suggested before, been there, done that, didn't work, nobody cared.

Speaking of nobody caring, Remember all the whining, bitc...., ready to string them up (the BOD ) the I would run the .org perfect if I was on the BOD talk of several month's past ?

Well there are 5, count them 5!!! BOD seats open this year and how many new volunteers have stepped up to bid for election? crickets!!!!!!!!!!!

"Give something away? I'll donate 100 rounds of 9mm " Doubt it would work, people would complain it wasn't the right cal. for them to bother to come out for!

But Thank you for the offer to do so!!!!

Heck, we give a gun away FREE just for voting, you don't even have to be there, ( I think you should if you can, IMHO ) but anyway we had a better response last year because of it, but for the number of members eligible to vote, it was a very poor showing.

Yeah you're right! Nothing will work! The organization is doomed due to negativity! :rolleyes:

SeeTee
06-08-2014, 01:22 PM
Yeah you're right! Nothing will work! The organization is doomed due to negativity! :rolleyes:

Nothing proposed / tried so far has produced the numbers it should, those who do come to events and do the volunteering would do so without perks / incentive's and have done so, My Thanks to all of them!!

Doomed ? no, as long as there is a forum, people will still log on. An organization that has people out in the real world doing things.......

negativity, If you mean to imply my attitude, I don't think I am negative, it's just the truth, I am just pointing out what I see from being at as many MGO functions as I can get to.

Let's have a show of hands, how many have been to at least one MGO event for each year they have been on the forum? 39,414 registered users, all welcome to attend event's, distill that number down anyway you want, reality is we have a poor turn out.

The solution to the turn out issue has yet to be solved and for the record I am not opposed to finding one, just saying we haven't found it yet.

CircuitRider
06-08-2014, 01:41 PM
How many were interested enough to attend the BOD meeting yesterday?

Tallbear
06-08-2014, 01:43 PM
How many were interested enough to attend the BOD meeting yesterday?

Seems I remember 8-10 not including Board members.

SeeTee
06-08-2014, 01:54 PM
I counted 10, some, at least 3 (non BOD ) traveled some time and distance to be there, Nice to see you guy's there!

DEVIL DOG
06-08-2014, 02:29 PM
Maybe a mass e-mailing/PM.
I met up with a young fella from The East side that night for an ammo exchange. He met me at the restaurant but had no clue there was an MGO function going on there. Has to be a better way to get the word out.

erict
06-08-2014, 02:57 PM
Raffle

Jackam
06-12-2014, 08:38 AM
Let's have a show of hands, how many have been to at least one MGO event for each year they have been on the forum?
I don't think I've hit a 2014 event yet but it's still early (or was the meet and greet at the Chinese place in 2014?) :)

Jackam
06-12-2014, 08:45 AM
I have trouble remembering my township meetings, and they are held monthly on the same day of the month! An email in the morning would boost my attendance to those meetings and I think it would for MGO events as well.

Michigan is a huge state and we need to break it down a bit in terms of focus. If we're having an event in Detroit, I doubt that someone from Alpena is going to make the drive. It would be good to let the Alpena guy know about it, but a couple of targeted emails to the geographic area would seem more fruitful.

We have the technology. :)
Not sure our database is good to go though.

SeeTee
06-12-2014, 11:25 AM
I don't think I've hit a 2014 event yet but it's still early (or was the meet and greet at the Chinese place in 2014?) :)

Yes!! you were there Jack, you have met the quota for this year :)

sse
06-12-2014, 01:37 PM
Seems I remember 8-10 not including Board members.
I remember a meeting at Leon's at which I almost got in a vote between french fries, but Tallbear caught on and had me taken into custody and later released on own recognizance...but not before I finished my smelt...

gjgalligan
06-14-2014, 06:44 AM
Now this is just me but I suspect many others agree, I am not really into going to things that are not close to home. I did miss the meet & greet for Sen Green at the LCSC, due to poor memory, which would have been close to home. I am not spending several hours to go somewhere I don't like to be for trival matters.
Example: the meeting in Detroit of the 3 gun groups--I will NOT go to Detroit for any reason. I no longer attend the Auto show, Tiger, Red Wings, or Lion's games for that reason. I also still don't care to associate with MCRGO.

As to the comment about getting people to vote, I think it is more fair & honest for me to not vote for people that I know nothing about nor have ever met. I also never vote in the NRA elections.

Have something close to home for me and I will try to attend.

SeeTee
06-14-2014, 09:59 AM
Now this is just me but I suspect many others agree, I am not really into going to things that are not close to home. I did miss the meet & greet for Sen Green at the LCSC, due to poor memory, which would have been close to home. I am not spending several hours to go somewhere I don't like to be for trival matters.
Example: the meeting in Detroit of the 3 gun groups--I will NOT go to Detroit for any reason. I no longer attend the Auto show, Tiger, Red Wings, or Lion's games for that reason. I also still don't care to associate with MCRGO.

As to the comment about getting people to vote, I think it is more fair & honest for me to not vote for people that I know nothing about nor have ever met. I also never vote in the NRA elections.

Two suggestions, first, about voting, why not try to get to know people by reading their past posts, it's easy to do by looking up their profile.

Second, how about coming out to the Woods & Water Weekend in Imaly City in September and spend some time in the MGO booth? parking is free and no entrance fee, now how easy can that be?

The announcement for asking for volunteers will be posted in the "Events Announcements" section, tell you what when the time comes I will send you a PM to let you know! Again how much more easy can we make it for you to attend an MGO event and get to know some of the members??

CircuitRider
06-14-2014, 08:05 PM
many MGO functions as I can get to.

Let's have a show of hands, how many have been to at least one MGO event for each year they have been on the forum?
I think that between me and RevDerb, we have made at least one thing each year since 2008. BOD, outdoor expo, picnic and shoot, annual meeting, etc.

gjgalligan
06-17-2014, 06:37 AM
Two suggestions, first, about voting, why not try to get to know people by reading their past posts, it's easy to do by looking up their profile.

Limited access on the internet and personal time

Second, how about coming out to the Woods & Water Weekend in Imaly City in September and spend some time in the MGO booth? parking is free and no entrance fee, now how easy can that be?
Again, time constraints and the fact I can not be on my feet (on hard surfaces) long periods

The announcement for asking for volunteers will be posted in the "Events Announcements" section, tell you what when the time comes I will send you a PM to let you know! Again how much more easy can we make it for you to attend an MGO event and get to know some of the members??

I was not complaining on not knowing any of the people running, I was just stating why I do not vote.

SeeTee
06-17-2014, 10:39 AM

"I was not complaining on not knowing any of the people running, I was just stating why I do not vote."

OK.

"Again, time constraints and the fact I can not be on my feet (on hard surfaces) long periods"

I could arrange for a ride from the gate to the booth and we have chairs at the booth, because other of our members have foot / leg / hip issue's, but I see that you say that have no time to do so, I can understand that, you should have just said that you are not involved with MGO because you have prior commitments, from your past posts, it sounded that you felt MGO was not accommodating enough for you to be part of the Org. and I wanted to let you know that we will do all we can to help you be involved as much as you want to be.

right2bear
06-19-2014, 09:27 PM
A successful meet & greet doesn't require "giving" anything away or "adding" incentives. What it does require is someone to get out around the town and talk to people. Let them know that there is going to be a meet up of like minded individuals. I see you guys said their has never been a successful one, but I beg to differ with that. The one I hosted had around 50 people show up. I got those numbers not by worrying about the people that are on this site everyday, and have time and again proven to not care much about the org. as much as the forum. I got out on the streets, sportsman's clubs, gun shops, put up flyers, and talked to as many people as would listen to me. And I didn't allow it just to be a meal with random discussion. We talked about current proposals, laws and I handed out a survey to get feedback on what the people that showed up would like to see going on in a gun rights organization. Its how I became so interested in a newsletter.

Tallbear
07-12-2014, 05:43 PM
Anyone want to take the lead on the next meet & greet? We have done one in Westland & St Clair Shores. Restaurant that is gun friendly, prefer a private room or any area where we wont disrupt the other patrons.

PM dmd7765 or Mikeb32 if you are interested in taking the lead.

Thanks

August is only a couple weeks away. Anyone want to plan this meet-n-greet?

suesealu
07-12-2014, 06:36 PM
I would gladly attend some events. I would even help with setup up and tearing down a BBQ. Problem is I don't have the time to organize one in my area and 90% percent of the ones that are organized are 1.5 hours or more away.

XDM 40 cal
07-13-2014, 09:42 AM
Well, meet and greets might run into PPL vacations... or work... Still some that do show up is less than it should be. Is it the location? gas? Maybe.. IDK the right answer to get people to show up, but few of the thing that have happen to MGO have put a bad taste in some gun owners gun power... And new members that sign up, that really have posted, but few time are the ones we need to see, as well as BOD and long time members.. I've meet a lot of members, and the one's I know, back when I first join have dwindle down to just a few.. I try to make all the meets...as I can...

dmd7765
07-13-2014, 10:52 AM
August is only a couple weeks away. Anyone want to plan this meet-n-greet?
How about someplace downriver?

dmd7765
07-16-2014, 09:57 AM
It looks like the next Meet & Greet will be in the Middle of August in LANSING, details to follow shortly

tdbrown1969
07-16-2014, 01:03 PM
It looks like the next Meet & Greet will be in the Middle of August in LANSING, details to follow shortly

August Meet-n-Greet
I have confirmation from the Flap Jack Shack in Lansing located at 1601 South Waverly Road for our August Meet-n-Greet. Have a room reserved for Tuesday August 19th at 6:00PM.

please post below if you plan on attending and how many will be with you so I can update the restaurant on how many to expect. Thanks.tom

Coctailer
07-16-2014, 02:42 PM
Flap Jack Shack?

That's a funny name for a bar.

tdbrown1969
07-17-2014, 08:54 PM
I will be in attendance with my wife and daughter

Jackam
07-21-2014, 10:28 PM
I'll plan on being there, bringing along another member.

dmd7765
07-22-2014, 07:29 AM
I will be there also

mikeb32
07-22-2014, 07:32 AM
I will be there also

I think I said earlier....Me too!!

Ranger67
08-08-2014, 08:50 AM
I will be there and bring my wife.

Jackam
08-08-2014, 10:21 PM
I'll plan on being there, bringing along another member.
And then life gets in the way!
Anyone care to do a meet and greet in Minnesota that day? :(

CircuitRider
08-09-2014, 06:51 AM
I'm going to be in E. Lansing for three days (19, 20,21) so I plan on coming.

mikeb32
08-09-2014, 07:29 AM
I'm going to be in E. Lansing for three days (19, 20,21) so I plan on coming.

Look forward to seeing you there!

AleksanderSuave
08-09-2014, 11:03 AM
Im in lansing twice a month for work, thursdays, and you guys couldnt accommodate my needs?

jeebus. I hate all of you.

Kilt Guy
08-09-2014, 05:28 PM
[QUOTE=dmd7765;2410769]Anyone want to take the lead on the next meet & greet? We have done one in Westland & St Clair Shores. Restaurant that is gun friendly, prefer a private room or any area where we wont disrupt the other patrons.

We also had a meet & greet in Shelby Township with good results

AleksanderSuave
08-09-2014, 06:30 PM
maybe we should make it a goal that if you're a regular member, you ideally want to bring at least 1 person to a meet and greet who ISNT a member, but is a gun enthusiast, or even just interested in gun rights/guns.

Family is always good to bring, especially if you can convince them to become members, but if we want to get active participants, and you know that your family is only going because of you, rather than the org's purpose, then maybe you can alternate who bring (wife and kids to one event, friends to another, etc) or try to bring them all.

I saw a lot of conversation in older threads about guys coming to events and not coming back (or never coming to one) because they know no one.

I came to the annual meeting on my own, but I knew a few guys, so it wasnt terribly intimidating. I also like talking to new people, so I think I wouldnt have an issue with this even if I knew 0 people. However, I'm sure if its someone whos not that way personally, or honestly knows no one off the forums, it may be intimidating to them.

We should try to post threads prior to events for guys to carpool, the drive will at least give you some time to bs and get to know one another, and then you have your 'battle buddy' once you get there. Lets all play the role of good host to someone new and introduce them to guys that we already know.

prior to an event, we should have some threads started like "driving to meet and greet from southfield area" whatever you wanna call it, but to that extent, and see if you can arrange at least one other guy to come with you. especially if no one that you know is willing to come. maybe this helps?

dmd7765
08-09-2014, 07:05 PM
Anyone want to plan one for September?

mikeb32
08-09-2014, 08:01 PM
Anyone want to plan one for September?

I would really like to have a " Town Hall Meetng " in September, maybe say at Gander Mt. Maybe in Taylor?

SteveS
08-09-2014, 08:48 PM
I'll be there.

Ranger67
08-10-2014, 10:50 AM
First – I am a new member.

I am attending because I am interested in getting involved and want to meet some of the other members. From reading the other posts, my question is: what is the primary goal of these “meet and greet” or “town hall” meetings? Are they being used to gain new member or is it to get more members involved? I would think the goal is to network and get more members involved. I was surprised to read that only 10-14 people showed up at the annual meeting. If you are after just new members – a table at the larger gun shows, could drive membership.

PhotoTom
08-10-2014, 12:19 PM
I was surprised to read that only 10-14 people showed up at the annual meeting.

I'm not sure what you read...but it wasn't pertaining to THIS YEAR'S annual members meeting!

:)

Tallbear
08-10-2014, 12:59 PM
I would really like to have a " Town Hall Meetng " in September, maybe say at Gander Mt. Maybe in Taylor?

If this happens I'd be glad to help.

PhotoTom
08-10-2014, 01:00 PM

What is the goal of this "Town Hall Meeting"?

-Tom

mikeb32
08-10-2014, 03:58 PM
What is the goal of this "Town Hall Meeting"?

-Tom

To have a Members Forum, to ask the BoD questions, to ask the Legislation people from that area invited to ask their views on any 2A questions they may have.

Jackam
08-10-2014, 09:54 PM
First – I am a new member.
Welcome! Wish I could be in Lansing to meet you!!!!

I am attending because I am interested in getting involved and want to meet some of the other members. From reading the other posts, my question is: what is the primary goal of these “meet and greet” ~ meetings
You answered your own question :D These meetings are just very informal places to meet other people that are normally just a name on a computer screen.

I have yet to meet someone at one of these things and walk away wishing that I hadn't met them. It does seem a little awkward, I must admit, when you first walk in. I will guarantee this - if Seetee is there (he's the activities chairman and he normally is) you will feel right at home the minute he spots you. Our new President is a bit of a social guy as well. He's easy to speak with and assumes no airs. Our new V.P. begs online for people to come up and say "Hi." He wants to meet you! There are many others just like these guys that are just regular members and everyone has the same interests.

As far as getting more involved, I salute you! If you can do just one little thing, our org is better than it was yesterday.

Take Care,
Jack

Ranger67
08-11-2014, 09:26 AM
Thanks Jack - I look forward to meeting some time in the future.

Wes

SevenSixtyTwo
08-11-2014, 11:38 AM

I'd be up for that, I'm a new member... would like to meet some folks..

Considering some of the recent discussions in the Members Only section is body armor suggested? :)

mikeb32
08-11-2014, 11:41 AM

Considering some of the recent discussions in the Members Only section is body armor suggested? :)

Nah, when you meet us you will know why!! Looking forward to meeting you.

dmd7765
08-11-2014, 11:50 AM

Body Armor is completely optional, unless you are on the BOD, then it is required!!! lmao just kidding

Cocowheats
08-17-2014, 12:44 PM
What time is this going too? I have a class until 7pm so wouldn't be able to show until 7:30ish at the earliest.

dmd7765
08-17-2014, 01:06 PM
What time is this going too? I have a class until 7pm so wouldn't be able to show until 7:30ish at the earliest.
8 or 830

mikeb32
08-19-2014, 07:00 AM
This is tonight.......Who's coming out?

somebody
08-19-2014, 08:52 AM
I live in Lansing and I literally did not know about this until just now. Thank you for posting to bring this back up in the "new posts" list for me. I check for new posts probably 20 times a day at work and haven't seen this over the past month. I agree with the statement a few pages back that a targeted geographic email would be great. It seems like most events are east or west, so having a heads up when you kind friendly folk make your way to the middle would be great.

I'm going to do my best to be there tonight. Stoked to meet some people.

PhotoTom
08-19-2014, 09:49 AM
I live in Lansing and I literally did not know about this until just now. Thank you for posting to bring this back up in the "new posts" list for me. I check for new posts probably 20 times a day at work and haven't seen this over the past month. I agree with the statement a few pages back that a targeted geographic email would be great. It seems like most events are east or west, so having a heads up when you kind friendly folk make your way to the middle would be great.

I'm going to do my best to be there tonight. Stoked to meet some people.

Out of curiosity...are you viewing the forums on a computer or on a mobile device?
The reason I ask is...you didn't notice the big red scrolling marquee at the top of every page of the forums for the past few days?

Since we enabled tapatalk and other mobile browsing options, it has become very difficult to "cover all of the bases" due to the new variables...I'm pretty sure tapatalk does NOT display the marquee(s)...as for other mobile browsers, I'm not sure either.

-Admin

Pyzik
08-19-2014, 09:58 AM
HOLY YELLOW BANNER!

No, I will not be making this (which I think I've already stated, just wanted to clarify).

PhotoTom
08-19-2014, 09:58 AM
I just added another...ahem..."reminder" about this event!
Maybe that gets though to the mobile browsers, too....?

-Admin

dmd7765
08-19-2014, 10:00 AM
Out of curiosity...are you viewing the forums on a computer or on a mobile device?
The reason I ask is...you didn't notice the big red scrolling marquee at the top of every page of the forums for the past few days?

Since we enabled tapatalk and other mobile browsing options, it has become very difficult to "cover all of the bases" due to the new variables...I'm pretty sure tapatalk does NOT display the marquee(s)...as for other mobile browsers, I'm not sure either.

-Admin

TT doesnt not display marque

Pyzik
08-19-2014, 10:01 AM
I just added another...ahem..."reminder" about this event!
Maybe that gets though to the mobile browsers, too....?

-Admin
It most definitely got my attention on the comp.
Mobile version would have gotten my attention if I were using it. (Both the mobile version and the desktop version on mobile)
Nothing special shows up in TapaTalk (FYI).

chosos
08-19-2014, 10:14 AM
Got my attention too. I like these huge reminders, even if they are mildly annoying throughout the day - Keep it up. I wont be able to attend, since Lansing is a hike, but keep 'em coming!

PhotoTom
08-19-2014, 10:21 AM
Got my attention too. I like these huge reminders, even if they are mildly annoying throughout the day - Keep it up. I wont be able to attend, since Lansing is a hike, but keep 'em coming!

It is dismissible...just click the little "X" in the upper right corner ;)

Pyzik
08-19-2014, 10:22 AM
Agreed. They are good for getting noticed. But must be used sparingly or they'll just become white noise.

It is dismissible...just click the little "X" in the upper right corner ;)

Well look at that! Thanks.

somebody
08-19-2014, 10:24 AM
Honestly, I just don't look at much outside of the new posts list or the thread I'm in at the time. I'm not necessarily saying that it's anyone's fault that I haven't seen it. I'm just saying an e-mail system would be cool. :)

I got the message loud and clear now.

Cocowheats
08-19-2014, 11:14 AM

Like I said, I have a class until 7pm ish and then most deff. need a shower(it's a hugging sweaty men type of class;) ). So I may or may not make it.

I would LOVE to make it, but learning comes first....I will of course try to show my face, nonetheless!

TomServo434
08-19-2014, 12:29 PM
Yea, I wont be able to make it also due to my second shift job. Pretty much makes me unavailable for all these meet & greets. I'll be at the BOD meeting for sure on Saturday though.

SevenSixtyTwo
08-19-2014, 02:00 PM
Can't make it, going to try for Taylor in Sept...

CircuitRider
08-19-2014, 02:37 PM
I'll be there.

CircuitRider
08-19-2014, 05:20 PM
Like I said, I have a class until 7pm ish and then most deff. need a shower(it's a hugging sweaty men type of class;) ). So I may or may not make it.

I would LOVE to make it, but learning comes first....I will of course try to show my face, nonetheless!
The restaurant closes at 8:00pm.

tdbrown1969
08-19-2014, 07:31 PM
Thanks to all who came out. I will leave this here for the viewing pleasure of those who attended ;-)

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa278/tdbrown1969/trade/imagejpg1-3.jpg (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/tdbrown1969/media/trade/imagejpg1-3.jpg.html)

CircuitRider
08-19-2014, 07:32 PM
Thanks to all who came out. I will leave this here for the viewing pleasure of those who attended ;-)

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa278/tdbrown1969/trade/imagejpg1-3.jpg (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/tdbrown1969/media/trade/imagejpg1-3.jpg.html)
Oops, wrong hat!

dmd7765
08-19-2014, 08:51 PM

Thanks to these who attended, thanks tdbrown1969 for setting this up. :thumbup:

mikeb32
08-19-2014, 09:29 PM
Thanks to these who attended, thanks tdbrown1969 for setting this up. :thumbup:

What? No Natasha?

Thanks to those who came out and Thanks Tom for setting this up, nice place!!

CircuitRider
08-20-2014, 06:01 AM
What? No Natasha?

Thanks to those who came out and Thanks Tom for setting this up, nice place!!
Nice enough that I may go back there for lunch today. Thanks. I had a great time with y'all.