06-04-2014, 10:48 PM
How to Defeat Stack-On Gun Safes
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/06/robert-farago/defeat-stack-gun-safes/

ka64
06-05-2014, 06:26 AM
Wow!

Norton
06-05-2014, 08:10 AM
Keep in mind these things are designed to slow a thief down.
The ones for the car are easily defeated with a bolt cutter, then you can run with it
I don't like cheap safes but they do have a function and will keep kids out.
Every safe can be defeated given enough time & tools.
Norton

dragonGTR
06-05-2014, 08:54 AM
Norton is correct.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

MI-1911
06-05-2014, 09:23 AM
Norton

They don't slow a thief down when it's small enough, and light enough to just grab the whole thing and run with it.

The article/video discuses how even a child can get into them!

dragonGTR
06-05-2014, 09:30 AM
MI-1911 if yours can be picked up and ran with, you did something wrong.

MI-1911
06-05-2014, 09:44 AM
MI-1911 if yours can be picked up and ran with, you did something wrong.

I don't use these inexpensive safes. Even if you bolt it down, a crow bar will pop them off before you can say Ticonderoga! :stooges:

dragonGTR
06-05-2014, 09:46 AM
Mi-1911 I agree per say get a good safe but what about people who can't afford the good safe yet and need something in the meantime. You can take steps to makes these more secure. If using good bolts, good fender washers, and screwing into studs and or cement, there are ways to make it harder to remove than just a crow bar and a few seconds.

nrich1979
06-05-2014, 11:09 AM
I don't use these inexpensive safes. Even if you bolt it down, a crow bar will pop them off before you can say Ticonderoga! :stooges:

That would be a hell of a crowbar..

Either you'd have to rip the metal of the safe, or You'd have to rip the studs out of the wall to move it forward and you'd have the rip the concrete out of the floor to move it up..

End of the day this wasn't designed to stop a determined bad guy with time and tools..

This was made to stop my 14 year old nephew from getting into things he shouldn't be getting into..

It in my opinion does that job as long as I lock the door and keep the key..

nrich1979
06-05-2014, 11:15 AM
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=402869

This isn't really a safe but it more closely represents what I was talking about from Stack on..

I don't use it anymore for my guns, upgraded to something else...

But it does no less than expected when I did use it..

Dabears!
06-07-2014, 12:12 PM
I wouldnt lock a coat in a stack on pos cabinet.

SevenSixtyTwo
07-23-2014, 08:46 PM
Keep in mind these things are designed to slow a thief down.
The ones for the car are easily defeated with a bolt cutter, then you can run with it
Norton

I agree with Norton here. If someone wants what you have enough, they will get it. I have a specific gun safe and I advocate the use of them, unfortunately there are a lot of people who don't agree or won't invest even a small amount of money in a safe. Even a crap safe is better than no safe at all even if all you accomplish is keeping your little ones protected.

That being said, I will not always be at home or in the presence of all my guns all the time. I say if your not using them, lock 'em up. I keep a few out when I'm at home and when I leave for a while they are locked up.. unless I'm taking one (or two) of them with me.

happy_gunner
07-24-2014, 09:13 AM
I agree with the consensus. I own two to them because honestly, I can't afford a more expensive safe at this time. One day I will own one, but until then I considered it more important to have something than to have nothing with the excuse of "I can't afford one." I bought both on sale for $100 or less. They are bolted to the wall via lag screws into studs. If I owned instead of rented, I would have bolted them into the cement floor as well. I did this because I recognized that if I left them free standing then a group of people could very easily carry them away but bolted it makes it more difficult. Could they sawzall their way in or use a crowbar? Yes. Is it more secure then leaving them in plastic cases with a lock under the bed? Heck yes.

Quick tip: they make great ammo safes. When I bought my second one, I built shelves out of 2x4s and some 1/2 plywood for my first one, which was smaller. So for around $100 bucks (the safe was on sale) I got a ammo safe. Even when I buy a 'real' gun safe one day I will keeps these around as ammo, optics, etc safes.

mac3982
07-24-2014, 11:21 AM
when my father passed i was left his pretty large handgun collection, and for the life of me i couldn't get his safe open and wasn't gonna pay a locksmith to come open it, used a rescue blade dewalt reciporating sawblade and in less than 2 min. had the safe in 3pieaces.

Leader
07-24-2014, 01:39 PM
Why would you need a safe?
We have laws against taking things that don't belong to you.
The police will protect your stuff.

Now if we could only get a few more laws about background checks & gun registration, we wouldn't have anymore gun crime.

Oh... and ban semi- automatics & magazines that hold more then 7 rounds.

criminalhate
07-25-2014, 09:29 PM
Just because the video/blog doesn't link back to Marc Weber Tobias' blog page (http://www.thesidebar.org/insecurity/) I figured I would share it with everyone. He is a renown locksmith/ safe cracker. He's very vocal about the insecurities found in the cheap and not so cheap gun "safes" and contacted many of the manufacturers and stores to try and resolve some of the issues but most rejected his advice or ignored him. That is why he decided to go public with the information.

It's a very interesting blog.

While Stack-On respects Mr. Tobias’s proven ability to pick the most complex of security locks, we strongly stand behind the safety of our products. Stack-On Personal Safes are certified by California Department of Justice (DOJ). This certification involves testing, by an independent laboratory approved by California DOJ, for compliance with adopted standards. We are proud of this designation and the protection we provide. In addition, our Portable Cases comply with TSA airline firearm guidelines

They had their safes tested so all is good..........

MJssr
07-28-2014, 12:10 AM
just like with concealed carry, when it comes to safes, it is all a compromise and acknowledging the shortcomings of each system. Stack-on's do a fantastic job of keeping little ones and honest people from getting to your firearms. The offer very little in the way of protection otherwise.

DV8r
07-28-2014, 08:49 AM
Why would you need a safe?
We have laws against taking things that don't belong to you.
The police will protect your stuff.

Now if we could only get a few more laws about background checks & gun registration, we wouldn't have anymore gun crime.

Oh... and ban semi- automatics & magazines that hold more then 7 rounds.
How about just outlawing shooting people along with stealing, then we won't need bans either. :-)

Motorcitytech
08-09-2014, 12:33 AM
Wow! what an eye opener. Thanks to the OP for the video link. I was certain that one of those biometric
safes was the way to go for my truck. Glad I didn't waste any $$ on a true pos