PDA

View Full Version : Where have all the squirrels gone?

LivoniaDan
09-20-2008, 06:26 PM
I haven't been out squirrel hunting yet, but as for "City" squirrels... the number seems to be really (an I mean really) down. Anyone else notice this?
I have sunflowers which are normally destroyed soon after the flowers seed.... This year I got to "harvest" several heads.

CodyBrown
09-20-2008, 06:34 PM
There's more than enough squirrels around my house. You can go out the front door and hear them calling to each-other most of the time.

Phelptwan
09-20-2008, 08:11 PM
Err...we had a black squirrel population explosion, then all of a sudden no squirrels as well. Maybe overpopulatio -> extinction?

CodyBrown
09-20-2008, 08:55 PM
I don't know. I haven't hunted them in a couple of years here. I'm going out tomorrow and am gonna harvest me some chipmunks.

Imshootin
09-20-2008, 09:19 PM
Tons of squirrels around me. Gray squirrels and a black squirrel invasion taking place this year.
Edit: Oh, yeah. Rabbits galore this year also.

ultrarider
09-20-2008, 11:21 PM
When I lived in Dearborn Heights I noticed the squirrel population going down hill too.

Several years ago I read somewhere that only about 15% of the squirrel population makes it through the winter. Personally, I think the drop in numbers is because of heavy traffic, ie, road kill. The squirrel population here, North of Standish, is very high. Matter of fact, I can count at least 5-10 squirrels on my property all day/every day. Chipmunks are probably worse than squirrels, but I've been relocating them on a regular basis.

Garbo
09-21-2008, 08:20 AM
Must be a problem north of 96 there Dan cause they are plentyfull here. What I've noticed that I havent seen in some time is a lot more black and gey squirrels.

Sigman
09-21-2008, 08:25 AM
Plenty of em here in my hood. All colors. As for hunting. Two trips to Pinckney and 2 limits. Could have shot twice that many if it were legal and had used a shotgun. Didnt do so good on the opener. Did see more little reds than usual. My question is where are the hunters? I hunt state land near the rec area. The road I hunt is 3miles? long and one other truck on the opener and NO other hunters Tuesday or Saturday. I have hunted them all my life and the place I hunt is ALWAYS thick with them. When the sun comes up I almost always watching a few trying to get a shot. Shouda went this morning................

LivoniaDan
09-21-2008, 09:10 AM
Plenty of em here in my hood. All colors. As for hunting. Two trips to Pinckney and 2 limits. Could have shot twice that many if it were legal and had used a shotgun. Didnt do so good on the opener. Did see more little reds than usual. My question is where are the hunters? I hunt state land near the rec area. The road I hunt is 3miles? long and one other truck on the opener and NO other hunters Tuesday or Saturday. I have hunted them all my life and the place I hunt is ALWAYS thick with them. When the sun comes up I almost always watching a few trying to get a shot. Shouda went this morning................Yea... I was supposed to get with you last year or the year before so you can guide me to an area of Pinckney to hunt..... Without giving me YOUR spot.... I never got back with you..... I should be out there next week though (I hope), Waterloo was always short on the tasty little tree rats, I thought.

Sigman
09-21-2008, 01:10 PM
:nono:Stay on this side of 52 near NL store. Here is last years opener. Using a CZ 452 now. http://mywebpages.comcast.net/siggman/hunt

remingtondude58
09-21-2008, 08:10 PM
Waterloo was always short on the tasty little tree rats, I thought.

Yeah, Ive hunted there many times very few squirrels. It might be because if the large cat population.

langenc
09-22-2008, 11:40 AM
If those that are wondering where the squirrels all went will look in the oaks, Ill bet you will find them. ACORNS are top feed.

TireFryer
09-29-2008, 09:50 AM
is there squirrel hunting area in/near Lansing? I have been trying to sell my savage 17mach2, but if it doesn't I might as well go have it w/ some squirrels! thanx

remingtondude58
09-29-2008, 07:32 PM
is there squirrel hunting area in/near Lansing? I have been trying to sell my savage 17mach2, but if it doesn't I might as well go have it w/ some squirrels! thanx

here is a state game area by Lansing but I have never hunted there. Might have squirrels.