PDA

View Full Version : Polished rifle?

Made_in_Michigan
09-21-2008, 09:57 PM
Has anyone ever pulled the bluing off a rifle (I'm thinking SKS), polished it all up nice & shiny & left it that way? No parkerizing, no bluing, just left with the polished finish?

I know this is a very newb sort of question, but I was just looking at one of mine earlier tonight and thought how it would look all polished up.

Joeywhat
09-21-2008, 10:00 PM
Seems like it would be very prone to corrosion, plus you'll see every single fingerprint anyone ever left on it.

RifleGuy
09-21-2008, 11:32 PM
If you polish it and leave the bare metal exposed, treat it with a good coat of automotive paste wax to keep it from oxidizing.

And post some pictures!

customizedcreationz
09-22-2008, 08:42 AM
You would be better to plate it then to leave it bare steel , unless you want to really take care of it. The materials they used to produce these are far from the quality that you ll see in todays modern guns.

Made_in_Michigan
09-22-2008, 12:21 PM
You would be better to plate it then to leave it bare steel , unless you want to really take care of it. The materials they used to produce these are from the quality that you ll see in todays modern guns.

I've checked out your site in particular for plating as an option, but I was thinking "in the mean time" as I am still on my new work schedule (which means i have zero fun money to work with)...

I was thinking this could be a fun winter project for me that wouldn't cost me a fortune.

Thanks for the tips!

customizedcreationz
09-23-2008, 06:36 AM
If you want to polish it. Then get yourself a good set of buffs and compounds. Use Black and a sisal wheel, White and a "loose" wheel and blue and a flannel wheel. You can use a drill , but it wont have enough power to really work good. If you have a bench grinder you can do use that too. Its a very and I mean VERY messy job. Make sure to wear a respirator , you dont want to breath that cancer in.

If you have any questions I can help you out. While I wont give away all my "secrets" , I ll steer you in the right direction. Just go slow and be careful not to round any areas you dont want to round off. Practice on some scrap first so you get the idea how it works.

Good Luck.

Donzie
09-25-2008, 06:31 PM
buff it up,jewel down the top of the action and barrel then give it a 4-500 or a "mirror" hot blue and you will lightly see the jeweling through the blue.

Made_in_Michigan
09-25-2008, 06:39 PM
buff it up,jewel down the top of the action and barrel then give it a 4-500 or a "mirror" hot blue and you will lightly see the jeweling through the blue.

That sounds VERY nice... may be a bit much for my first real project though :)

Raspberrysurprise
09-28-2008, 01:16 PM
Just leave that poor SKS alone. It'll end up looking better on some remchesterby rifle anyways. But hey it's your gun do with it what you wish.

Made_in_Michigan
09-28-2008, 02:22 PM
Just leave that poor SKS alone. It'll end up looking better on some remchesterby rifle anyways. But hey it's your gun do with it what you wish.

I understand the sentiment. I have one that is in pretty bad shape, so very little I could do can hurt it. To validate this, I have one that I want to keep very original, maybe just touch up the furniture :)

customizedcreationz
09-29-2008, 08:10 AM
Well on the other hand, its also a good practice gun then. If its in poor shape you cant do much to make it worse, and the bonus is that you learn and it will most likely look better then it did to start off with.