PDA

View Full Version : Laser sight

Dansjeep2000
09-24-2008, 05:36 AM
are they legal? I have looked all through the rules book and the only reference to them I can find is under nighttime coon hunting (they are ok for that according to the book). Under the artificial light section it says nothing about laser sights at all. So what do you think?

jay
09-24-2008, 12:06 PM
(From the DNR website) Laser Sighting Devices for Hunters with a Visual Impairment

Hunters who are legally blind may use laser sighting devices to take game, subject to all other regulations, with a firearm, bow or crossbow if all the following conditions are met:

Subject to all other regulations, a permittee may take game with the use of a laser sighting device only if accompanied by a sighted person who is at least 18 years of age;
The sighted person possesses proof of a current or previous hunting license (other than an apprentice license) or proof of successful completion of a hunter safety class;
A person who is legally blind possesses the appropriate hunting license and proof of impairment in the form of a Secretary of State ID Card.
No permit is necessary for this accommodation.

Hunters with other permanent disabilities may apply for a permit to use a laser sighting device wtih a firearm, bow or crossbow to take game.

So I would have to say unless you are legally blind the answer is no.

Dedpoet
09-24-2008, 12:26 PM
Hunters who are legally blind...

:shocked:

Joeywhat
09-24-2008, 01:33 PM
:shocked:

That doesn't mean your completely blind...

Dedpoet
09-24-2008, 07:29 PM
That doesn't mean your completely blind...

I know, it just jumped out at me as being a little funny. A friend's father is actually legally blind and he does all kinds of things.

Done Deal
09-25-2008, 06:27 AM
I can probably add a little to this...

Earlier this year, I spent a considerable amount of time contacting DNR officials about the permit process for my neighbor how has maticular degeneration and cannot use traditional sights or optics as he cannot see out of the center of his dominant eye. And, because he has a pace maker, he cannot shoot left handed. Heck, he is 85 years old so what the heck anyway.

To make a long story short...even the DNR didn't know what their own permitting process was and we spent a fair amount of time working through that. Changes you see in this years Hunting and Trapping Guide are a result of those efforts on behalf of Charlie. Others with visual impairments will be considered on an individual basis.

Anyway, they don't have an application per se but...in the case of Charlie, he needed a Doctors letter stating the nature of his disability and then the DNR would consider my letter along with that and determine if he would be getting the permit. Well, my job got easier because the Doctor letter sitting here states that he is legally blind in his dominant eye.

I will be calling the DNR again today to see if they want me to forward the old emails along with the scanned Doctors letter and my explanation or what but...it is looking like Charlie gets to go deer hunting again. At this time, I just don't know if the permit will require that he be accompanied by a non-impaired person or not.

BTW, he can still drive a car....but, like I said, the vision in his right eye is limited to things off to the side.

Norton
09-25-2008, 07:26 AM
Legally blind is a fairly low requirement in Michigan. I don't remember the exact number but it's something like a -5. Most actual magnification poblems can be brought to normal. Macular degeneration has few choices. Not all things help all. One of the leading authorities in the country is in the metro Detroit area is Mark Lavine DO.
He does correction thru special glasses. I believe he can be contacted
thru Pearl vision, in case your neighbor would like a second opinion.
Norton

Done Deal
09-26-2008, 06:15 AM
My neighbor goes to U of M something or other for his eyes. That is where the letter is from.

His paperwork has been forwarded to the DNR (I was on the phone with them yesterday and trust me....they doni't have the process down just yet) before I sent off the paperwork (which followed an email).

Charlie's situation with macular degeneration is not unique...and while legally blind in one eye...he can still drive a car but...cannot see to obtain target acquistion via traditional sighting methods.

I am hoping that they grant the permit without the restriction that he be accompanied by a licensed person that can see (with both eyes).

Time will tell I guess...