PDA

View Full Version : Cross Bows

harleydude1911
09-28-2008, 08:15 PM
Does any body if they changed the laws yet to make it easier to qualify for one? Thanks

Made_in_Michigan
09-28-2008, 08:20 PM
Does any body if they changed the laws yet to make it easier to qualify for one? Thanks

Not sure, but may not need a doctor's note much longer... Big push on to get Xbows allowed during real archery season for anyone, not just those requiring them.

Johnson16
09-28-2008, 08:33 PM
Not sure, but may not need a doctor's note much longer... Big push on to get Xbows allowed during real archery season for anyone, not just those requiring them.

And I think they should. I have no need for one but I think people have this thought that the provide this unfair advantage. I haven't shot one, but I don't think the range is much different then a regular compound.

mkls0
09-28-2008, 10:19 PM
Go here and look up crossbow

www.midnr.com/publications/pdfs/wildlife/DNR_2008HTG.pdf

gjgalligan
09-29-2008, 05:51 AM
Can you double check that link as it does nothing.

mkls0
09-29-2008, 06:18 AM
Can you double check that link as it does nothing.

works for me...

http://www.midnr.com/publications/pdfs/wildlife/DNR_2008HTG.pdf

Leader
10-01-2008, 04:18 PM

Yes the rules have changed.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/PR9134E_149461_7.pdf

ro2
10-15-2008, 08:13 AM
I'm all for crossbows, though I dont use one. I know an individaul who does use one and he says the range is less than a compound and the thing is loud as hell, so I dont buy that there is an unfair advantage. Plus we need more people in the outdoors.

CnA
10-15-2008, 02:43 PM
And I think they should. I have no need for one but I think people have this thought that the provide this unfair advantage. I haven't shot one, but I don't think the range is much different then a regular compound.

The advantage is not having to pull back and hold the draw weight. There has been many times where I just could not get a shot with a bow because the deer would see the movement. Any movement, especially drawing a bow back would have them scatter. Then there is the problem of the deer moving when I'm drawn back. Even with a 65% letoff, I can't hold the weight for very long.

With a crossbow, all you have to do is aim and pull the trigger since it is already cocked back. It's a huge advantage.

For me, waiting for the chance to draw back and take a shot is part of the thrill of bowhunting. There comes a point when something just becomes too easy and the thrill is gone.

I don't have a problem with anyone using a crossbow. They are just not real hunters. :naughty: But then, traditional archers could say the same about me and my compound. Different strokes for different folks. Anytime one is out hunting with their tool of choice in nature is great!

remingtondude58
10-15-2008, 03:44 PM
I dont buy that there is an unfair advantage.

I am not a expert but couldn't you shoot a cross bow with your left or right hand easier then a compound bow so you could shoot all around the spot you are sitting without turning your body.

harleydude1911
10-22-2008, 07:48 PM
Thanks for ALL the HELP!!!!

Leader
03-13-2009, 07:50 AM
Just in case someone missed it.............

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153--210298--,00.html

It's official, crossbows are legal without a Dr's note.

Desert Pete
03-13-2009, 08:43 AM
The new law goes weel "beyond the current crossbow disability permit. During any season in which a firearm may be used, for both big and small game: For any hunting season (including all of the archery deer season) in zone 3: By anyone 50 yrs of age or older during Oct 1 - Nov 14 archery deer season: Limits the crossbow to no more than 350 feet per second, with a sunset law stamp that can be purchased at any license dealer."

FASHOOTER
03-13-2009, 04:38 PM
How are they going to keep track of speed???:tsk: Don't modern compounds shoot this fast or faster.

Leader
03-13-2009, 05:46 PM
Mine is advertised at 325 fps.

harleydude1911
03-14-2009, 09:35 AM
Kool!!!

CnA
03-15-2009, 12:15 PM
How are they going to keep track of speed???:tsk: Don't modern compounds shoot this fast or faster.

My compound shoots at 305 fps at 70 lbs. However, I keep it set at 60lbs. At 60lbs, the arrow usually goes straight through. Since most of my shots are under 20 yards, cranking up the bow to 70lbs just makes it harder to pull back and the arrow sticks farther in the dirt after passing thru the deer.

If someone is shooting past 20 yards, a fast velocity is a must since the arrow drops a lot more and it takes a lot time to get to the target.

Putting in the 350 fps restriction limit keeps the ranges down to more bow like distances. If this was not put in, I sure a crossbow could be developed that could push a small dart over 600fps. This would be a huge safety problem since most bow hunters like me are in full camo and some idiot with his brand new high-tech crossbow would shoot at movement a long way out.

CnA
03-15-2009, 12:23 PM
My wife wants to go bow hunting with me now. She does not have the upper body strength for a compound strong enough for deer hunting.

She just said;

"When can we go shopping for a crossbow."
"Do they come in pink camo?"
"I want to put up a tree stand in the three big pine trees next to the gulley" This translates to she wants me to build a tree stand for her.;)

tje803
03-17-2009, 01:25 PM
Although I think there are some down sides to this new regulation, I think it will draw more people into hunting and allow some of the more aged hunters to get back into a tree stand again. For those two reasons, I thinks the pros outweigh the possible cons. Plus it's only for a 3 year trial period, after which it will be assessed whether to keep the legislation or not.

CnA
03-18-2009, 11:10 AM
Although I think there are some down sides to this new regulation, I think it will draw more people into hunting and allow some of the more aged hunters to get back into a tree stand again. For those two reasons, I thinks the pros outweigh the possible cons. Plus it's only for a 3 year trial period, after which it will be assessed whether to keep the legislation or not.

I completely agree.

My dad wants to go bow hunting, mostly because the October weather is simply beautiful to be in. At 74 years old, he just does not enjoy sitting in the cold, damp November weather much.

Shooting a compound has a longer learning curve than a crossbow, and he did not qualify for a crossbow permit even though he has arthritis in his shoulders and elbow. It's a big win for him and I'll be very happy to have my dad in the woods with me.

Done Deal
03-19-2009, 08:23 AM
Well, I know some folks that will run out and buy one just so they maybe can get more or bigger deer.

While I qualify due to age....you won't see me spending my money on one until I can't climb a tree or figure out a way to draw my compound.

As far as I am concerned....they should have limited them to does only during the first archery season.

papabear
03-19-2009, 11:47 AM
I have had a crossbow since I had a triple bypass,hoped to be able to hunt with it but could never meet the requirements for the permit. It is fun to shoot,but it is not a compound bow. I cannot see why there is the big fuss about useing them.They are not anywhere as near as good as a bow.Yes I meet the age requirement and yes I will be happy to take advantage of this oppertunity.

Done Deal
03-19-2009, 03:30 PM
I have had a crossbow since I had a triple bypass,hoped to be able to hunt with it but could never meet the requirements for the permit.

After I got cracked open for my bypass surgery, I was motivated to rehab hard so I could bow hunt again. I did and I did.....and I still am.

Done Deal
03-19-2009, 03:30 PM
I have had a crossbow since I had a triple bypass,hoped to be able to hunt with it but could never meet the requirements for the permit.

After I got cracked open for my bypass surgery, I was motivated to rehab hard so I could bow hunt again. I did and I did.....and I still am.

koolwink
03-19-2009, 04:36 PM
+1 What papabear said.

papabear
03-19-2009, 07:15 PM
I had a 2 heart attacks before the bypass so I use caution in all things these days. I still like to get out this gives me another excuse.

Done Deal
03-21-2009, 07:02 AM
I try not to think about it....but, kinda hard to when ya feel every breath in your chest.

I just needed to return to some semblence of normal just to tell myself that I was still alive.

Don't get me wrong....I will always do whatever I have to do to be able to hunt. I agree that the Xbow provides opportunites that other bows don't.

papabear
03-21-2009, 01:23 PM
According to the wife I was never normal, but I know what you mean

cowboy4513
03-26-2009, 07:14 AM
I believe now that if you are over the age of 50 you can get a crossbow... I think havent done research on it yet!

fr3db3ar
03-29-2009, 05:36 PM
I'm all for more people hunting. Personally I'd put my longbow up against a crossbow any day for accuracy and distance. So I say more power to them....personally I wouldn't want to carry that load around all day :rotate:

Of course this is the reason I'd rather hunt with a handgun than a long gun as well.

Just my $.02

Southern Comfort
03-30-2009, 09:53 PM
I will put my Ross bow up agaens a cross bow any day it is quiet, fast, and I can split arrows with it at 20 yards(might sound cool but it sucks to have to keep replacing arrows)

sawmill
04-04-2009, 10:20 AM
I think the cross bow should have been allowed years age. The last few years my dad hunted he had a permit to use a cross bow which let him hunt a couple of years longer. He had open heart surgury and had 8 bypasses. I watched hin struggle to try and use a regular bow and after using the cross bow he seemed to get along better. Him and I both agreed that the compound bow was faster and much easier to get around. I still have his bow and I will probably use it this fall. I just hope that everyone that are so against using them never have to but if needed now you can use one and not have to jump thru all the hoops that dad did.

Southern Comfort
04-06-2009, 02:19 AM
No one has an issue with people that need to use a crossbow using one. The issue that I and other bowhunters that I know have is that people are always looking for the easy way out or the easy kill. hell I thought we were in it for the hunt. But if people like your dad that need to use one by all means let them and with out a hassle.

Leader
04-06-2009, 05:17 AM
No one has an issue with people that need to use a crossbow using one. The issue that I and other bowhunters that I know have is that people are always looking for the easy way out or the easy kill. hell I thought we were in it for the hunt. But if people like your dad that need to use one by all means let them and with out a hassle.

So I am to assume that YOU use a long bow & make your own arrows out of wood?
I'm deer hunting MOSTLY for the MEAT !!!! I don't believe in "QDM" because I think trophy deer should only be shot with a camera. I have never found a recipe for antlers that made them taste good.
When I started shooting my compound, it took about 10 min of instruction before I was able to hit the target. With all the sights & releases and gadgets, a modern compound is as easy or easier then a crossbow to shoot.

sawmill
04-06-2009, 09:15 AM

As I said before I just hope that someday you are not put into a position where you have to make a choice to keep hunting by using a crossbow. If you do thank your luckly stars that you will be able to. And as for them being easier to hunt with try it you may want to change your mind. I don't really think that it is going to change the kill rate all that much, but it is going to put people that have been left out of hunting back in the field. With the jobs the way they are I don't think a lot of people are going to be rushing out to buy a 300 or 600 dollar bow. I was talking to a sport shop owner Sat and he said he has sold a couple of bows in the last month an the people that bought them were older people so I guess that could mean 50 and up. I have been bow hunting since 1963 and thing have came a long ways since then. My first bow was a wood one and not a recurve I don't remember the name but I sill have it. I can shoot better without sights because that is the way I learned to shoot. I have compnd bows but still would rather shoot my recurve with no sights. I am guessing that alot of people that are against the cross bows grew up using only compound bows and have never used anything else

papabear
04-06-2009, 01:45 PM
I was talking to a local shop and he said that he sold the 10 he had in stock the first week.

Southern Comfort
04-06-2009, 05:20 PM
A a matter of fact for the first 3 weeks of bow season I do hunt with a long bow with wooden arrows... And as I said before " I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH PEOPLE THAT NEED A CROSSBOW HUNTING WITH ONE" My issues is the people my age that is more than capeable of hunting with a long bow or compound bow trying to hunt with a cross bow. So i your going to have an issue with what I write make damn sure you get it right. And Like I said before But if people like your dad that need to use one by all means let them and with out a hassle.

Skinner 2
04-07-2009, 02:13 AM

Define need and who made you Judge?

Little background OK first and foremost I am a past Sponsored Tournament Archer for Browning. I have had up to a 4th place word finish and hold numerous state titles, records and a couple national; and international. I have bow hunted since the 70's.

That said I have had an impact on this crossbow issue. September 15 I filed Age discrimination against the MDNR on behalf of my 81 year old father. He could no longer draw his compound at with enough energy hunt deer. Legally yes but ethically no.

My father did not qualify for the disable permit because he is NOT disabled. Age is not considered a disability and his Dr. would NOT sign the form. After filing the Age Discrimination I got a call from the DNR's Lawyer with a solution, The solution was my dad's doctor certified him as old. I told the Lawyer we would accept as long as this was extended to anyone else in my father’s shoes. They accepted.

Since then I realized what a crossbow can do for people. My wife is 4'11 and 98 lbs. She cannot draw a bow with enough weight to hunt at such a short draw. She quit bow hunting in the 80's because of this but continued to hunt and killed deer with a firearm. My so is 11, left eye dominate and right handed. I am teaching him to shoot left handed. Currently he draws 25lbs. NOT enough KE for deer hunting but legal by the state. I will NOT allow him to hunt with such low poundage. He will work with his compound until he can draw a decent weight. On November 1 however his 12th B-day he will be hunting with a crossbow and I will sit with him.

My father started bowhunting in the 40's and yet he was being tossed aside. Now after hunting with longbow, recurve, compound and crossbow he said the crossbow is the hardest to use. It is heaver, more cumbersome in the tree and a lot louder. He would like many others rather use a compound but now used a crossbow because of need.

Would I use a crossbow? Sure why not. The crossbow like any other bow is just a tool in the art of hunting. I don't own a crossbow now but started looking at them. A crossbow is nothing more then a tool. It you don't like if fine. NOBODY is forcing you to use one.

NOT promoting their use for others is just plan Antihunting. It is no different then supporting a handgun, shotgun or rifle. If you hunt and shoot, belong to the NRA them promote on behalf of everybody.

I have attended the NRC meetings since September. I have heard both sides of the crossbow issue. I have yet to hear one single FACT other then emotion or Ego on why they should not be used.

The 350 speed limit was and is a joke. This was done because Members of a "State Bowhunting Association" gave testimony about super fast 600fps crossbow and shooting out to 600 yards (none exist). NOT facts just statements. The original proposal was 405 since the Desert Stryker in production shoots that speed. Com. Wheatlake asked what the fastest production compound was and that is 366fps according to a Darton Rep that was there (NOT a Darton bow). This speed limit was done to appease the anti-crossbow people.

I may never own a certain firearm but I will fight for people to be allowed to own and use one. I will not push my reasons for not owning or using one on others. Doing so would be antigun. Not supporting hunting where the DNR's Wildlife Division, along with Mrs. Humphries support of saying FULL INCLUSION (Statewide) of crossbows would NOT have a detrimental impact on the resources is anti hunting.

By limiting crossbow to people over 50 and over in Zones 1 and 2 is discriminating on the archery/sporting good shops and business’s in these zones. Not allowing people in zones 1 and 2 the same choice zone 3 has now is discrimination on them. Not allowing the 10 and 11 year olds (who could use them most) in zone 3 is discriminating on them as everybody else can use them. Why send the young kids into the woods with ineffective weaponry when they could have been allowed the use of a crossbow.

Oh BTW the kids were eliminated because some people felt they would not be safe using a crossbow....YET these same kids can carry shotguns, rimfires, and high power rifles to hunt things other then deer. Does this make sense?

Sorry for being so long winded! Sensitive area!

Skinner

Southern Comfort
04-07-2009, 03:05 AM
I am not judging.
I was saying that people that are fully cape-able of hunting with a long bow or a compound bow should not be able to use a crossbow in bow season I didn't say any thing about older people small woman children people with heart problems back problems shoulder problems etc. I am talking about men my age fully cape-able of using a long bow/compound bow... And your not the only one that fought for our freedom back ground on me I am 28 I have been on 2 18 month tours to Iraq, 1 12 month tour to afghan and I spent a year at Get-mo. I was 82ND div airborne and I have 3 purple hearts and other awards I am not bragging I was just giving you a background. It is a forum for people to speak there mind sorry if you don't like what I say but I do have the right to say it so now with that being said who is the one judging now...

bensonj
04-13-2009, 10:43 AM
Like them or not, the law has changed and they cross bow is legal.

There have been many archers who have found ways to continue to bow hunt without having to resort to using one: lighter draw bows (the wife of a well known traditional bowhunter regularly kills deer with a 35# bow), mouth tabs, etc.

That said, from another form from a pro-xbow person(so I assume this is non-derogatory)stated a benefit of the use of the cross bow is that it allows "would be archers..."

And I'll leave it at that ;o)

beervo2
04-15-2009, 11:06 PM
I am not judging.
I was saying that people that are fully cape-able of hunting with a long bow or a compound bow should not be able to use a crossbow in bow season I didn't say any thing about older people small woman children people with heart problems back problems shoulder problems etc. I am talking about men my age fully cape-able of using a long bow/compound bow... And your not the only one that fought for our freedom back ground on me I am 28 I have been on 2 18 month tours to Iraq, 1 12 month tour to afghan and I spent a year at Get-mo. I was 82ND div airborne and I have 3 purple hearts and other awards I am not bragging I was just giving you a background. It is a forum for people to speak there mind sorry if you don't like what I say but I do have the right to say it so now with that being said who is the one judging now...

Southern Comfort,
Thank you for your service to this country and welcome home...

If you take the time to read your post you will see that you are judging people. Basically what your saying is if your not doing it my way it's not the right way..

Groo
04-18-2009, 07:10 PM
Maybe my Dad will get some use out of the old crossbow that has been sitting in the cabinet for more than 20 years now.

Skinner 2
04-18-2009, 11:28 PM
If a deer is shot by longbow, compound, recurve, or crossbow who really cares other then the Shooter. Why should anyone really care other then the shooter. This is no differant than choosing a 243Win or 30-06 for you firearm choice. Why should/does it bother you someone may want to use one.:gaga:

The crossbow is just another weapon to choose from and yes it will put more people in the woods enjoying Michigan's deer.

bensonJ there are many wanna-be's on both sides of the fence.:nono:

Skinner

bow7907
04-22-2009, 01:48 AM
I personally am happy with the new law. I am 41 and have been struggling with heart failure for ten years. I am a bow hunter and I am unable to hunt from tree stands due to the possibility of passing out. I have shot deer with my bow from concealed blinds but have found it very hard to get a draw on a deer from the ground with limited cover without getting busted. I recently purchased a new xbow and have been practicing often and cant wait for this fall.

Mongo
05-07-2009, 09:58 PM
It's a few years away, but I can't wait till I turn 50 and can use a crossbow anywhere in this state. I am healthy enough, young enough and have the strength and coordination to use a long bow or compound, but let's be honest, crossbows are a blast!!

This argument that they shouldn't be used during archery season is crap. It is still a arrow (ok, a "bolt") propelled by a string. Crossbows pre-date compound bows by THOUSANDS of years (5th Century BC). Archery season isn't about using "old" technology, it's about using different technology than is used during firearm season.

Make archery season longbow with wood arrows only. Make muzzle loader season traditional (no scopes, inlines, 209 primers, etc.). Then create a "REAL" hunters season.....SPEAR only season. Then we can discuss how the crossbow is just too much to allow.

Sargeyork
05-29-2009, 02:33 AM
Amen :smile:

Pistol Teacher
05-30-2009, 05:54 PM
Amen :smile:

+1

mechredd
05-30-2009, 06:10 PM
It's a few years away, but I can't wait till I turn 50 and can use a crossbow anywhere in this state. I am healthy enough, young enough and have the strength and coordination to use a long bow or compound, but let's be honest, crossbows are a blast!!

This argument that they shouldn't be used during archery season is crap. It is still a arrow (ok, a "bolt") propelled by a string. Crossbows pre-date compound bows by THOUSANDS of years (5th Century BC). Archery season isn't about using "old" technology, it's about using different technology than is used during firearm season.

Make archery season longbow with wood arrows only. Make muzzle loader season traditional (no scopes, inlines, 209 primers, etc.). Then create a "REAL" hunters season.....SPEAR only season. Then we can discuss how the crossbow is just too much to allow.

I can't remember his name, but one of the DNR officers assigned to the St.Clair County area was telling me that there is a push within the DNR, for a "primitive" hunting season. This season will be long or recurve bows only, for the archery part. During the firearm part, we will be limited to non-percussion black powder rifles, that must be loaded with powder (no pellets) and round balls.

BBstacker
05-30-2009, 06:27 PM
I can,t. try your gun--with2-1/2ft.side prongs.lol.

BBstacker
05-30-2009, 07:06 PM

Take your time, getting to 50/then it,s all Down Hill.:scramble: :urinate: :cuss: :sleep: :shake: :moon2: