PDA

View Full Version : Binoculars

magoo1500
08-09-2014, 07:42 PM
Can you get a descent pair of binoculars for around $100 or so.

I have been using an old pair for the 3 or 4 years and would like something a little stronger.

I am thinking dunhams with a 30% coupon,but just dont know enough to determine a good pair.

will be used for hunting,100 yds is probably the furthest distance.

dramey82
08-09-2014, 08:38 PM
Dunhams on Dixie is having a tent sale, there was a couple different brands they were selling in the tent, didn't check those prices but everything was reasonable.

jackstan
08-09-2014, 09:18 PM
My experience with glass has been that you get what you pay for . Thirty some years ago though I bought a Bushnell 7X50 armored model that was I think made in Japan at the time . It didn't cost a lot and has served well , if I had to do it over and stay on the lower side of the price tag I'd look for Japanese lenses .

Jack

crankythunder
08-10-2014, 04:31 AM
Dear Magoo:

while it is not a high power (10x or so) I have a recommendation that you should take a look at.

go to ebay and in their binocular section do a search for Tasco Offshore.

What you will find are listings for the tasco marine 7x50 waterproof binoculars that are an exact copy of the steiner military/marine binoculars which is current issue to the us armed forces. While they may be a copy, they are a very very high quality pair of binoculars. I have a couple pairs and every time someone borrows them to look through, they are making note of the brand and always comment on the image.

Now I have had my binoculars side by side with a set of swarofski 8x42's and the Swarovski's are a better pair of binoculars. but not by much and check out the prices of new swarofskis.

The tasco offshores come in either a model 36 or model 54. The differences are that the model 54 has anti glare coatings on the objectives for ultra bright sun on the water and for those times a sailor has to look towards the sun. The model 36's do not have the coating and are a touch better in dim light or at night. In 99 percent of the conditions you will use a binocular, either model will work good.

you can also get them with or without a internal compass. The compass is handy and is usefull to get bearings and acceptable as a backup compass on a boat.

While the tasco offshores have been out of production for a while, they are a superior quality pair of binoculars. As I said, I have a few pairs that I have obtained off ebay for prices from sixty bucks to 120 bucks.

Cranky

dab102999
08-10-2014, 04:36 AM
For $100 you can find decent pairs but what are you looking to do? Spot a 22 hole in a target at 100 yards or just see if a buck has horns at 400 yards.

magoo1500
08-10-2014, 07:36 PM
Dunhams on Dixie is having a tent sale, there was a couple different brands they were selling in the tent, didn't check those prices but everything was reasonable.

I rode buy it about 530pm on my motorcycle,but didnt have time to stop...

magoo1500
08-10-2014, 07:37 PM
Dear Magoo:

while it is not a high power (10x or so) I have a recommendation that you should take a look at.

go to ebay and in their binocular section do a search for Tasco Offshore.

What you will find are listings for the tasco marine 7x50 waterproof binoculars that are an exact copy of the steiner military/marine binoculars which is current issue to the us armed forces. While they may be a copy, they are a very very high quality pair of binoculars. I have a couple pairs and every time someone borrows them to look through, they are making note of the brand and always comment on the image.

Now I have had my binoculars side by side with a set of swarofski 8x42's and the Swarovski's are a better pair of binoculars. but not by much and check out the prices of new swarofskis.

The tasco offshores come in either a model 36 or model 54. The differences are that the model 54 has anti glare coatings on the objectives for ultra bright sun on the water and for those times a sailor has to look towards the sun. The model 36's do not have the coating and are a touch better in dim light or at night. In 99 percent of the conditions you will use a binocular, either model will work good.

you can also get them with or without a internal compass. The compass is handy and is usefull to get bearings and acceptable as a backup compass on a boat.

While the tasco offshores have been out of production for a while, they are a superior quality pair of binoculars. As I said, I have a few pairs that I have obtained off ebay for prices from sixty bucks to 120 bucks.

Cranky

Thnaks,I will check them out.

magoo1500
08-10-2014, 07:40 PM
For $100 you can find decent pairs but what are you looking to do? Spot a 22 hole in a target at 100 yards or just see if a buck has horns at 400 yards.

Bascily for hunting.Just want a better view than I have now.

wadevb1
08-11-2014, 06:33 AM
Yes. Leupold Yosemite.

10x25mm
08-11-2014, 03:28 PM
From time to time you can find the Northrup-Grumman Fujinon/Kama-Tech M22 Binoculars on eBay in very good to new condition for $ 100 - $ 200. These are 7x50mm IF GI binoculars with the mil-dot rangefinder in one barrel and LiF coatings which brighten the image and protect against lasers. Waterproof, rubber armored, and adaptable to Tenebraex KillFlash lens covers as well.

I have both the Fuji and the Steiner M22 binoculars. The Fujis are heavier, but better optically than the Steiners. A whole lot cheaper, too. Here is a brand new set on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M22-Binoculars-7-x-50-New-in-Box-Northrop-Grumman-Fujinon-Kama-Tech-/201145278573?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ed531606d

One downside: ITAR regulations prohibit you from taking these binoculars out of the USA, even to Canada. Subject to Customs seizure at the border. You can get roughly similar Fuji 7x50mms made for the Border Patrol and Navy without the LiF coating and M22 reticle (which ITAR regulates), but they are just not as good. Here is a used example on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fujinon-7-X-50-Binoculars-1407088-/360995383686?pt=Binocular&hash=item540d006986

JK001
08-11-2014, 06:58 PM
Can you get a descent pair of binoculars for around $100 or so.

I have been using an old pair for the 3 or 4 years and would like something a little stronger.

I am thinking dunhams with a 30% coupon,but just dont know enough to determine a good pair.

will be used for hunting,100 yds is probably the furthest distance.

I picked-up some Nikon nocs last year from Dunhams with 30% off coupon for less then $80.

chosos
08-13-2014, 10:27 AM
I also got some Nikons from Dunhams - decent glass quality, but the black paint on the inside started flaking off. They do have a lifetime warranty, but I've been too busy to send them back in. Just before Firearm Deer season last year, I picked up a pair of Bushnell Elite HD's with RainGuard at Jay's on the way to our camp for a couple of hundred (on sale) and the glass quality on the bushnell's are far superior to the Nikons. Blows away the Nikons, which I previously thought were fine. After having read some reviews and wanting the RainGuard coating, I jumped on the Bushnell's as soon as I saw them on sale.

I highly suggest them, but they are outside of your price range. For $80, the Nikon Binocs aren't bad. If you can find them for $100, the Kama-Tech M22's are the way to go.

sobbry sr
10-21-2014, 09:02 AM
i bought the Leopold Yosemite for 100.00 and Steiner Predator 400.00 the Leopold is the way to go my opinion

JDG
10-24-2014, 05:34 AM
After looking through a pair of Leica Geovids, I have been ruined for life! Very expensive, but nothing compares...