PDA

View Full Version : Recommend good ear plugs..

nrich1979
08-12-2014, 06:37 PM
I have a good set of muffs, but I really want a set of ear plugs I could get that would work well enough on their own most of the time..

Are the electronic ones worth while, or the pour molds?

If you can provide links I would appreciate it..

balrog006
08-13-2014, 09:44 PM
Surefire Sonic Defenders, several varieties to choose from for fit, amount of noise protection, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Surefire-Sonic-Defender-1-Pair-Medium/dp/B004DH65RI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1407984265&sr=8-2&keywords=Sure+fire+sonic+defenders

jb85
08-18-2014, 07:27 PM
I wear the sonic defenders with electronics muffs and it is good enough for rifle and pistol while being able to hear whoever you are with or the instructor which is always nice. I am a big proponent of two sets of hearing protection, but I have good hearing and would like to keep it that way.

JK001
08-18-2014, 09:00 PM
If you have small ear canals like I do they don't work that great, they want to work their way out. Also there is a seam from being molded that really bugs me when shoved in the ear canal.

I have also used these: http://radians.com/radsite/index.php/retail/radians-sporting-goods/hearing-protection/item/radians-custom-molded-earplugs-sg?category_id=36

Those work pretty good but seam to not stay in place that well.

balrog006
08-22-2014, 02:19 PM
If you have small ear canals like I do they don't work that great, they want to work their way out. Also there is a seam from being molded that really bugs me when shoved in the ear canal.

They come in S, M, and L, none of them fit your ear canals?

IMHO the silicone they are made of is quite soft and comfortable, if they do have a ridge or seam from the molding process I have never even noticed it and it certainly does not bother me.

The sensation of wearing them for the first time is a bit odd I will admit, but after working or shooting with them in for extended periods it becomes much less of an issue and they're much less obtrusive than muffs with regard to weight, sweating and holding in heat, smashing safety eyewear into your face, etc.

Deadmeat3344
08-22-2014, 06:20 PM
The CVS branded ones.

Seriously the best ones I have seen yet.

JJJ
08-26-2014, 07:09 PM
I used to pay $14-16 for Surefire Ear Pros. Found out later that the cheaper Howard Leight plugs were just as effective.

Quantum007
08-26-2014, 07:13 PM
Last I checked the Surefire ear pro could be found at Menards as well

Jackam
08-28-2014, 07:57 AM
Spend the money (around $60) and get a set of custom-moulded earplugs.
I bought a a set at the SHOT show about 6 years ago and LOVE them!
Two years ago, I took my son to the SHOT show and bought a set for him.
I found a woman doing them at the Birch Run gun show a year ago and marched my other son to her booth to have his molded.

They are wonderful!!!!

Draken
08-28-2014, 08:01 AM
I found a woman doing them at the Birch Run gun show a year ago and marched my other son to her booth to have his molded.

They are wonderful!!!!

+1 to this...I have the surefire EP3, EP5 and EP7, have several sets of other cheap plugs, and have my custom molded....and those are BY FAR the best. Mine were $65 at a local gun show.

sse
08-28-2014, 08:11 AM

They are wonderful!!!!
Yup...got these at an audiologist. About time to get another set. Very convenient.

MI-1911
08-28-2014, 10:00 AM
Ear plugs of any kind really bother me. I get a feeling of air pressure not equalizing, or something. It's hard to explain. I finally coughed up the money for MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X muffs, and they're awesome!

nrich1979
08-28-2014, 03:53 PM
Ear plugs of any kind really bother me. I get a feeling of air pressure not equalizing, or something. It's hard to explain. I finally coughed up the money for MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X muffs, and they're awesome!

I have muffs.. I like them.. I can use plugs sometimes..

DTruck
09-18-2014, 07:58 PM
I used to pay $14-16 for Surefire Ear Pros. Found out later that the cheaper Howard Leight plugs were just as effective.
However, the Surefires have the removable cap, which can allow you to hear more ambient sounds (in theory). I have some Leights, and love them, but I was in the market for the Surefire E3's, just to see if they were effective.

cmr19xx
09-19-2014, 06:04 AM
Slightly off topic, but does anyone know of any good plugs for kids? Muffs work best, but don't really work well for trap or clays.

DTruck
09-19-2014, 07:03 AM
Slightly off topic, but does anyone know of any good plugs for kids? Muffs work best, but don't really work well for trap or clays.
Kids swim plugs -
http://m.cvs.com/mt/www.cvs.com/shop/product-detail/Alpine-Pluggies-Kids-Earplugs?skuId=932955

seuadr
09-26-2014, 05:55 AM
and if you shop around, you can get them for a lot cheaper than 60 dollars:

Click! (http://www.amazon.com/Radians-Custom-Molded-Earplugs-Blue/dp/B003A28OW6/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1411728763&sr=1-1&keywords=custom+molded+earplug+kit)

i made a set of these for in helmet on my motorcycle - they really are the best. i lost mine (and by lost, i mean they are somewhere in the house, probably right in front of me) and keep forgetting to buy another pair so i've been wearing Gel earplugs from the milsurp store (which are also pretty good)

sse
09-26-2014, 08:52 AM
and if you shop around, you can get them for a lot cheaper than 60 dollars:

Click! (http://www.amazon.com/Radians-Custom-Molded-Earplugs-Blue/dp/B003A28OW6/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1411728763&sr=1-1&keywords=custom+molded+earplug+kit)

i made a set of these for in helmet on my motorcycle - they really are the best. i lost mine (and by lost, i mean they are somewhere in the house, probably right in front of me) and keep forgetting to buy another pair so i've been wearing Gel earplugs from the milsurp store (which are also pretty good)
I'd be willing to give that a try and see if the outcome is as good as the ones from the audiologist.

Cletus
09-26-2014, 12:47 PM
I'd be willing to give that a try and see if the outcome is as good as the ones from the audiologist.

I just picked up the DIY moldable plugs. Duhnams didn't have them by themelves but as a combo pack with shooting glasses for $24.

Draken
09-26-2014, 01:55 PM

I have thought about it, but the ones that were made by the audiologist are rated @32NRR, these self mold kits are 26NRR

FISHThANKS
01-29-2015, 07:49 AM
I use the custom molded and wear Pro Ears electronics over top. I use the Sporting clays model when outside and the Pro Tac Gold when indoors.

DTruck
01-29-2015, 07:59 AM
I've now been using the Surefire EP3's for a while, and love them. Fit great, and love the removable cap.

Sammy_K
02-08-2015, 05:06 PM
For an inexpensive option I have used these with lots of luck. Just the normal pains of foam plugs ( I prefer e muffs) but they work great. Best foam plugs I have come across. Plus if you loose a pair you won't be out bad. The custom molded plugs are great as well. I got my last pair at a gun show in Gibralter but can't remember the companies name. It was a husband and wife team and they also have attended a few shooting events locally as vendors. The case they provide has earinc.com slash insta-mold on it if that helps.

http://www.howardleight.com/earplugs/max

usmcpaul
02-08-2015, 05:39 PM
I have these, and they are simply awesome. 29 db rating using the "skull screws". I shoot, listen to music and even occasionally take a call while on the range (only when I forget to put it in airplane mode).

I use muffs with them when inside, because there is apparent need to sight in your 338 Lapua at 25 feet.:twak:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AEY4QP2/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687662&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00AEY4RRO&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1QSN213S9XC5GK8ASHB0

(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AEY4QP2/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687662&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00AEY4RRO&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1QSN213S9XC5GK8ASHB0)

sse
02-08-2015, 06:00 PM
For an inexpensive option I have used these with lots of luck. Just the normal pains of foam plugs ( I prefer e muffs) but they work great. Best foam plugs I have come across. Plus if you loose a pair you won't be out bad. The custom molded plugs are great as well. I got my last pair at a gun show in Gibralter but can't remember the companies name. It was a husband and wife team and they also have attended a few shooting events locally as vendors. The case they provide has earinc.com slash insta-mold on it if that helps.

http://www.howardleight.com/earplugs/max

I bought box of the corded ones and always keep several sets on hand.

kalamazoo
06-05-2015, 06:52 PM
I just like the cheap orange disposable ones. You can buy them by the box on Brownells.

kryl
06-12-2015, 12:22 AM
http://www.howardleight.com/earplugs/leight-plugs

30 DB reduction, but I still use headphones with them

http://www.howardleight.com/earplugs/super-leight for 33 DB

crankythunder
06-12-2015, 04:01 AM
Personally, I have tried pretty much all of them including the professionally custom made ones and I keep coming back to the cheap orange dense foam disposables.

Even if they were not so convenient and disposable, they just perform better then the customs or reusable ones.

Sincerely,
Crankster

07-12-2015, 01:40 PM
I used peltor tactical 100 and Mack's foam ear plugs. 22 and 32 NRR respectively. The box small container of 50 plug were around $9 on amazon and $70 for the peltor tactical. I keep both because many time people forget the ear protection, so it easy to hand out.

kryl
07-12-2015, 02:16 PM
I used peltor tactical 100 and Mack's foam ear plugs. 22 and 32 NRR respectively. The box small container of 50 plug were around $9 on amazon and $70 for the peltor tactical. I keep both because many time people forget the ear protection, so it easy to hand out.

I got the green disposable Howard Leights a few years ago. I think that I had to correspond with a salesman to get my price but I got boxes of 200 pairs for 8¢/pair.

josieboyd
09-05-2016, 04:04 AM
If you have small ear canals like I do they don't work that great, they want to work their way out. Also there is a seam from being molded that really bugs me when shoved in the ear canal.[/url]

Those work pretty good but seam to not stay in place that well.

thanks for this i have a small ear canal tried several ear plugs which didn't work for me.

will4062
03-15-2017, 05:54 PM
I recommend the Howard Leight by Honeywell with a NRR of 30. They're green, soft and effective and they work just fine for long-term wear as well.

Remo
03-15-2017, 07:29 PM
I use these if not muffs. I always end up with a couple extra packs in my pocket from work that make their way home with me. I have a few 1 quart jars full.

https://m.uline.com/h5/r/www.uline.com/BL_1071/Laser-Lite-Ear-Plugs?pricode=WT763&AdKeyword=laser%20lite%20ear%20plugs&AdMatchtype=e&gclid=CNDokZbh2dICFY8AaQod1XQNWw&gclsrc=aw.ds

tkurban53
03-15-2017, 07:44 PM
A couple days ago I bought a pair of Howard Leight Pro muffs on Amazon for just under $40 delivered. Found that price on slickguns.com, one of my favorite websites to visit, 50 or 60 times an hour ...

EricVincent
06-20-2017, 04:26 AM
thanks for the information. useful to me)

shadowthrone
06-22-2017, 01:16 PM
These may have been posted before, but these have served me the best, and they are red, white and blue:
https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Honeywell-Disposable-MAX1-USA/dp/B002DMLYBM/

I have had the SureFires, and while they are comfortable, their NRR is not the best. A 200 pack for $22 will last you a while, give you fresh plugs to use every time, and I believe these have the highest NRR available in a ear plug.

langenc
12-09-2017, 06:42 PM

They are wonderful!!!!

They were doing hearing checks and the molded plugs at the Great American Outdoors show in Harrisburg about 5 yrs ago when we went. I almost did but something got in the way. I see some 'new' models in the latest Fur Fish Game, rec today, for about 200 bucks, with all the bells and whistles.

xtrema312
12-12-2017, 06:12 PM
Keep in mind when you're looking at ear protection that a 3 db difference in sound is twice the sound level. That's significant.

Howard Leight electronic muffs are a primary part of my system, but rarely used alone unless shooting Firearms was low db rating and out in the open. They're only about 22 db noise reduction. I like that I can hear well in different situations, but 22 db is just not sufficient in a lot of shooting conditions.

I now try to use plugs plus muffs. Doing this you pick up five additional db noise reduction over the highest-rated of the two ear protection devices. I want an absolute minimum of 25 for out in the open light shooting and preferably 30-38 for the vast majority of shooting.

Howard Leight orange super leight with cord. 33 db. These can be reused quite a few times and they're cost-effective. I've purchased them in a small bucket quantity. I find them to be easy to mold even for small ears for kids. The material is comfortable and they're easy to work with even in cold weather. I find them the most comfortable and easy to work with moldable disposable plugs I've have tried. I use these when I'm not wearing earmuffs, and under electronic muffs when I'm in environment with some really loud firearms or a lot of shooting going on.

The idea of Sonic Defenders is good. However, they are not very high for db rating at only 24. I find even with the correct size they have a tendency to work their way out from a snug fit. I get a little moisture in warm weather and wax from my ears after having them in for a while. They get slick for me, and they move. I am sure db rating drops. I don't have much trouble with a moving around if I'm just using them for an hour or something here or there, but I'm often either shooting, doing load development, or working RSO up to 4 hours at a time. I use EP4. I may try EP3 to see if they work better. I wear them under my electronic muffs as my standard setup. This adds additional ear protection and helps me hear really well on range when I'm working RSO. I have used them a little bit with the plugs out for hunting when I want to be able to hear a little bit better and don't anticipate more than an occasional shoot. I do not find them to be sufficient hearing protection for a lot of shooting with higher db level Firearms particularly in any kind of a covered shooting area. 24 db is just not sufficient in many situations.

For many years, most of my shooting was done out in the more open conditions when shooting clays or more informal rifle and handgun shooting with a lot of that being 22s. The amount of time I spent under covered shooting areas or indoors was more limited most times as was the number of rounds I would shoot out of a magnum handgun or high power rifle. I've done a lot more handgun and rifle shooting the past 10 years under covered firing points and indoors. I really found this has had a negative impact on my hearing. My hearing is still okay for my age, but I can tell that I have had some changes. Most notably is a low-level tinnitus in the last couple years.

One of the things I found out is that I've misunderstood hearing protection NRR actual impact on the sound level, and I didn't really look at different hearing protection to really evaluate their performance. That's something we really should be doing to make sure that we're getting adequate hearing protection in the different situations or shooting in and for what we're shooting

Many large caliber handguns and high-powered rifles can produce 160-170 or higher db levels. Then add in porting and breaks. This can be even more significant if you're firing in an area where you're getting sound bouncing back off of roofs or walls.

I never really looked at and NRR of my hearing protection and db level of the Firearms I was shooting to see what I should really be doing and different situations. I now realize how important that really is.

NRR of even a good pair of ear muffs or ear plugs of 30 db rating does not reduce that 170 down to 140, the threshold of permanent hearing damage. I've read the actual reduction of hearing protection can be half or less than the NRR rating. So my top level protection of 33 db plugs used with 22 db muffs for 38 db reduction is probably only like 20 at times. That means that I'm exposed regularly to 140 db sound or higher. I've had my ears start ringing after quite a few shots under a covered firing point next to somebody with one of the super magnum ported revolvers or a high-powered rifle with a break on it, and that's with doubled up hearing protection.

With all that said, I highly recommend doubling up on your protection at all times unless you're out in the wide-open shooting relatively mild stuff. I also think the molded ear plugs are the way to go for most people. They have an ideal fit to make sure you're getting the maximum benefit. Improperly fit ear plugs or even less than perfectly fit earplugs will have a significant impact on how well they perform. It would be very easy to not get your plugs in or your muffs on right and lose a significant amount of the performance of your ear protection.

AxlMyk
12-13-2017, 09:02 PM
Wow. A 3 year old thread reborn.
Anyway, at work we used the foam plugs you roll up and stick in your ears. I have never used anything that equals them for noise reduction. None.
I bought a couple jugs of the Flents. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Flents-Quiet-Please-Foam-Ear-Plugs-200-Pair-with-2-Clear-Plastic-Travel-Jars-/131558905396?hash=item1ea1859634

almightys
12-13-2017, 09:26 PM
Keep in mind when you're looking at ear protection that a 3 db difference in sound is twice the sound level. That's significant.

Howard Leight electronic muffs are a primary part of my system, but rarely used alone unless shooting Firearms was low db rating and out in the open. They're only about 22 db noise reduction. I like that I can hear well in different situations, but 22 db is just not sufficient in a lot of shooting conditions.

I now try to use plugs plus muffs. Doing this you pick up five additional db noise reduction over the highest-rated of the two ear protection devices. I want an absolute minimum of 25 for out in the open light shooting and preferably 30-38 for the vast majority of shooting.

Howard Leight orange super leight with cord. 33 db. These can be reused quite a few times and they're cost-effective. I've purchased them in a small bucket quantity. I find them to be easy to mold even for small ears for kids. The material is comfortable and they're easy to work with even in cold weather. I find them the most comfortable and easy to work with moldable disposable plugs I've have tried. I use these when I'm not wearing earmuffs, and under electronic muffs when I'm in environment with some really loud firearms or a lot of shooting going on.

The idea of Sonic Defenders is good. However, they are not very high for db rating at only 24. I find even with the correct size they have a tendency to work their way out from a snug fit. I get a little moisture in warm weather and wax from my ears after having them in for a while. They get slick for me, and they move. I am sure db rating drops. I don't have much trouble with a moving around if I'm just using them for an hour or something here or there, but I'm often either shooting, doing load development, or working RSO up to 4 hours at a time. I use EP4. I may try EP3 to see if they work better. I wear them under my electronic muffs as my standard setup. This adds additional ear protection and helps me hear really well on range when I'm working RSO. I have used them a little bit with the plugs out for hunting when I want to be able to hear a little bit better and don't anticipate more than an occasional shoot. I do not find them to be sufficient hearing protection for a lot of shooting with higher db level Firearms particularly in any kind of a covered shooting area. 24 db is just not sufficient in many situations.

For many years, most of my shooting was done out in the more open conditions when shooting clays or more informal rifle and handgun shooting with a lot of that being 22s. The amount of time I spent under covered shooting areas or indoors was more limited most times as was the number of rounds I would shoot out of a magnum handgun or high power rifle. I've done a lot more handgun and rifle shooting the past 10 years under covered firing points and indoors. I really found this has had a negative impact on my hearing. My hearing is still okay for my age, but I can tell that I have had some changes. Most notably is a low-level tinnitus in the last couple years.

One of the things I found out is that I've misunderstood hearing protection NRR actual impact on the sound level, and I didn't really look at different hearing protection to really evaluate their performance. That's something we really should be doing to make sure that we're getting adequate hearing protection in the different situations or shooting in and for what we're shooting

Many large caliber handguns and high-powered rifles can produce 160-170 or higher db levels. Then add in porting and breaks. This can be even more significant if you're firing in an area where you're getting sound bouncing back off of roofs or walls.

I never really looked at and NRR of my hearing protection and db level of the Firearms I was shooting to see what I should really be doing and different situations. I now realize how important that really is.

NRR of even a good pair of ear muffs or ear plugs of 30 db rating does not reduce that 170 down to 140, the threshold of permanent hearing damage. I've read the actual reduction of hearing protection can be half or less than the NRR rating. So my top level protection of 33 db plugs used with 22 db muffs for 38 db reduction is probably only like 20 at times. That means that I'm exposed regularly to 140 db sound or higher. I've had my ears start ringing after quite a few shots under a covered firing point next to somebody with one of the super magnum ported revolvers or a high-powered rifle with a break on it, and that's with doubled up hearing protection.

With all that said, I highly recommend doubling up on your protection at all times unless you're out in the wide-open shooting relatively mild stuff. I also think the molded ear plugs are the way to go for most people. They have an ideal fit to make sure you're getting the maximum benefit. Improperly fit ear plugs or even less than perfectly fit earplugs will have a significant impact on how well they perform. It would be very easy to not get your plugs in or your muffs on right and lose a significant amount of the performance of your ear protection.

Great post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kryl
12-14-2017, 10:20 AM
Why does 33 DB reduction + 22 DB reduction = 38 DB reduction not 55 DB reduction. I wear plugs and muffs and it really muffles everything. if it was only reducing 38 DB I probably couldn't even stand to be at an inside range.

Roundballer
12-14-2017, 01:33 PM
Why does 33 DB reduction + 22 DB reduction = 38 DB reduction not 55 DB reduction. I wear plugs and muffs and it really muffles everything. if it was only reducing 38 DB I probably couldn't even stand to be at an inside range.

Because the dB scale is a logarithmic scale and the sum is not linear like in other scales.

https://www.noisemeters.com/apps/db-calculator.asp

And in the example used 33dB + 22dB = 33.3dB not 38dB.

Yet that isn't the real answer to the question either. the reduction is actually a ratio of the sound pressure wave before to after the restriction of the wave. The second resistance the wave encounters will have a greater effect on the wave, because the wave has already been reduced.

Those are each calculated as ratios of a measured pressure to the lowest that can be heard.

The dynamic range of human hearing and sound intensity spans from 10-12 W/m2 to 10 - 100 W/m2. The highest sound intensity possible to hear is 10,000,000,000,000 times as loud as the quietest!

This span makes absolute values for sound intensity impractical in normal use. A more convenient way to express sound intensity is the relative logarithmic decibel scale with reference to the lowest human hearable sound - 10-12 W/m2 (0 dB).

Note! In US the reference 10-13 watts/m2 is commonly used.

kryl
12-14-2017, 06:37 PM
Because the dB scale is a logarithmic scale and the sum is not linear like in other scales.

https://www.noisemeters.com/apps/db-calculator.asp

And in the example used 33dB + 22dB = 33.3dB not 38dB.

Yet that isn't the real answer to the question either. the reduction is actually a ratio of the sound pressure wave before to after the restriction of the wave. The second resistance the wave encounters will have a greater effect on the wave, because the wave has already been reduced.

Those are each calculated as ratios of a measured pressure to the lowest that can be heard.

The dynamic range of human hearing and sound intensity spans from 10-12 W/m2 to 10 - 100 W/m2. The highest sound intensity possible to hear is 10,000,000,000,000 times as loud as the quietest!

This span makes absolute values for sound intensity impractical in normal use. A more convenient way to express sound intensity is the relative logarithmic decibel scale with reference to the lowest human hearable sound - 10-12 W/m2 (0 dB).

Note! In US the reference 10-13 watts/m2 is commonly used.

Thanks

I learn more on the web than I ever want to know but I am going to study your answer RB. Maybe then I will get it.

Now HTF do I get rid of Everytab in Chrome? It isn't listed in extensions. Maybe Malwarebytes?

xtrema312
12-14-2017, 06:54 PM
Acoustics and sound are very complicated subjects. It's very difficult to easily explained all that stuff. I'm using very basic information gathered from a bunch of different sources to roughly value the differences between db levels and and roughly what to be thinking about when you're trying to offset higher-end gun fire db levels. I think a lot of people are way under protected in many situations when they're wearing what they think is adequate hearing protection.