PDA

View Full Version : Major Fail Charter, a fishing story

Walther
09-01-2014, 09:07 AM
My kid just got back into town from the University of Tennessee where he obtained his UXO certification. Yeah, I know, but as he said, it's better than spending $100k on a college education to work at McDonald's.

Anyway, we haven't see each other much this summer so I thought we'd do a fishing charter on Erie. We wanted to do walleye, but the captain said they weren't biting very good. He said if we wanted to go after perch, no problem. We thought about it some, and decided to go for it. I called my SIL and BIL and offered them two more seats, all at my cost as both are young and both have babies on the way.

We booked the trip and went out yesterday. I want to say at the outset that the captain was very nice, very knowledgable, and tried very hard. He tried a LOT of places, we marked a LOT of fish, and we fished over an hour longer than we were supposed to. We caught an awful lot of sheephead, white perch, one silver bass, one very nice channel cat which got off the line before I could get it in the boat, and a grand total of 6 yellow perch. Which, besides two fairly large white perch, is what we came home with. A grand total of 8 fish. With the trip costing $400.00 (because the captain knocked $50 off due to the lousy catch), I paid $50 a fish. It was actually more with food, beverages, licenses, etc.

NOW then, I know when you charter you are taking a risk. It is really dissapointing to spend that kind of cash and get skunked, but it happens. I'd likely try this captain again, provided, however, and this is the whole point of his thread, that the FIRST MATE stays the hell on the dock.

This guy was a freaking nightmare. He was actually a charter captain filling in since the regular mate was on a bike trip. He was very loud and obnoxious, shouting things like "C'mon perch, BITE ME!" every 5 minutes, and "BE YELLOW" every time we had a fish on. Everytime someone hooked a fish other than a perch, which was most of the time, he called us "Garbage Pickers". "Every boat has garbage pickers, you guys are all garbage pickers." He talked over everyone, had to show every one of us how to fish, and kept regaling us with stories about how last week they boated pounds and pounds of perch between 6 guys, and how someone on another boat got fined because there were so many perch they went over limit and got caught. He also kept getting texts from a friend of his who was catching walleye. (To the captain) "HEY! Now they've got 5 in the boat! Can you imagine, as lousy at is is here, they're catching walleye?" "Now they got 7!"

GRRR....everytime this jerk opened his mouth I wanted to punch him in the throat. The captain kept trying to blow him off, answering with "uh huh", or changing the sbject. He cringed everytime the guy opened his mouth. This guy just didn't understand that the last thing he should be running his mouth about on an obviously failing charter trip is someone else's success. STFU!

I am seriously considering contacting the captain and making sure he understands just how bad the experience was. I'm guessing he already knows, but I want to make sure he knows that we're not happy, and that all this clown did was add to it.

MP Miller
09-01-2014, 09:14 AM
You should let him know. I was on a charter in Alaska that got fewer fish than you did but the Captain was a good dude, we all had fun and I didn't feel like I had a bad day.

cmr19xx
09-01-2014, 09:44 AM
Definitely let the captain know what a jack@ss the first mate was. Charters can definitely be hit or miss. I've had my share of good and bad ones in FL. Even good captains can have an off day.

Tallbear
09-01-2014, 10:39 AM
So, who was the "other capt." that played first mate?

Walther
09-01-2014, 11:09 AM
So, who was the "other capt." that played first mate?

Not naming names or companies. If I decide to let the captain know and he blows me off, I might then. As of now I'll keep it to myself.

I don't know anything at all about the charter boat business. The law might require that a first Mate be aboard, and it's possible our captain was stuck with him due to some last minute thing. Plus, I don't want to screw up somone's livelihood.

Knockoff64
09-01-2014, 01:27 PM
Not naming names or companies. If I decide to let the captain know and he blows me off, I might then. As of now I'll keep it to myself.

I don't know anything at all about the charter boat business. The law might require that a first Mate be aboard, and it's possible our captain was stuck with him due to some last minute thing. Plus, I don't want to screw up somone's livelihood.

If the clown runs a charter and you know the name, do us all a favor and post it. Might save someone the trouble.

A first mate is not required. Most charters like to have the extra experienced hand on deck. I have gone out a few times with a regular charter, where I am the mate! I know his boat, tackle and tactics. We didn't need the extra body and the captain doesn't have to share the money.

As for the charter you hired. Sounds like he is a good guy. Talk to him if you feel he will learn from knowing just how bad your experience was. if he blows you off, post his name too!

mikethepike
09-01-2014, 02:59 PM
You paid for the charter. Open your mouth and tell the 1st mate to stfu. or tell the Captain to tell his help to pipe down. You aren't friends, you are a customer...and are always right.
Its the Captains job to put you on fish , provide the tools you need to succeed and a safe charter. He's supposed to provide you with a memorable experience and sometimes they don't always limit out.---that's why they call it fishing

Kmal981
09-01-2014, 03:56 PM
You paid for the charter. Open your mouth and tell the 1st mate to stfu. or tell the Captain to tell his help to pipe down. You aren't friends, you are a customer...and are always right.
Its the Captains job to put you on fish , provide the tools you need to succeed and a safe charter. He's supposed to provide you with a memorable experience and sometimes they don't always limit out.---that's why they call it fishing

I tend to agree. Why not have just asked the guy to quit rubbing it in? That someone else is kicking ass and your not doing so good? Worst case scenario, there was 4 of you and one of him. Unless, he was drunk or just plain crazy I'm sure most people could absorb someone telling them flat out they were being annoying.

Walther
09-02-2014, 08:02 AM
Sent the captain an email. It'll be interesting to see if he responds.

JohnJak
09-02-2014, 08:30 AM
Man over board.

Hot Bite Charter
09-02-2014, 07:29 PM
Charter fishing can be tough ( especially perch fishing which I have given up chartering for). You have to get out there and make the customer have a good day ( whether or not the fish are biting). I guide on the Detroit river for 6 weeks every year and Lake Erie for 6 weeks. The captains that I run around with have a code. If we ask each other how the fishing is, we say good, bad ect. Never any numbers. The last thing you want is to be struggling and have a guy come by and say " Oh we whacked them ! We caught 50 ! " We all usually do reallly good but you NEVER want to make a guy look bad. Sorry that the first mate sucked to hang with. I would want to know. I have even entertained the thought of questionaires at the end of trips.

Walther
09-04-2014, 11:29 AM
Just got off the phone with the Captain. Personal apology, said he was stuck and used the guy based on someone else's recommendation, and would never use him again.

No idea if that's truth or BS, but it was nice he called just the same.