PDA

View Full Version : Hunting in Shotgun Zones with Handgun Caliber Rifles

earlthegoat2
10-05-2008, 08:53 PM
What are the regulations regarding hunting with handgun cartridge rifles like the 357 and 44 mag lever actions as well as the all the single shots out there?

huntmeister
10-05-2008, 09:16 PM
You can NOT hunt with pistol caliber rifles in shotgun zone.

Even though it is pistol caliber it is a Rifle, and not a pistol.

michigan law deifines them as.

“Rifle” means a firearm designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed metallic cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.

“Pistol” means a loaded or unloaded firearm that is 30 inches or less in length, or a loaded or unloaded firearm that by its construction and appearance conceals itself as a firearm

“Shotgun” means a firearm designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single function of the trigger.

remingtondude58
10-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Yeah I emailed the DNR about that a while ago and got the same answer as huntmeister said above.

TFin04
10-05-2008, 09:33 PM
To open a can of worms...

What about a folding rifle registered as a pistol?

:fur3:
:flame:

huntmeister
10-05-2008, 09:54 PM
if it's a "registered" pistol by law then it's a pistol. the laws states nothing nothing about caliber/cartridge, other then rifle being shoulder fired and using metallic cartirdges.

Thompson center single shot pistol in .300 win mag would be ok to use... it is a "pistol".

question I always had was why could I hunt coyote with a .223 OR "RIFLE" in the shotgun zone during daylight hours but could only use a rimfire at night. DNR officer I asked didnt even know why?

What about a fully rifled .12 gauge useing slugs loaded in metallic catridges??? it would, by law be considered a rifle no?

Joeywhat
10-05-2008, 10:02 PM
I think we can all agree that the laws are poorly written, and few can make any sense of them...

as long as you're following all the WRITTEN laws, I wouldn't worry. If you're using a firearm that must be registered as a pistol, then I would say you can use it...however there are other laws that seem to say otherwise (that are specifically related to hunting).

In short, ask a lawyer. Or a higher-up at the DNR.

earlthegoat2
10-05-2008, 10:25 PM
from what I can tell by that definition then a shotgun with a rifled barrel is in fact a rifle or some kind of hybred that is fired from the shoulder and uses a shotgun shell to fire through a rifled bore,

not arguing with anyone here as the joeywhat said the laws are clear as mud

huntmeister
10-05-2008, 10:28 PM
from what I can tell by that definition then a shotgun with a rifled barrel is in fact a rifle

only if... it is loaded in metallic cartridge.

dougwg
10-05-2008, 10:41 PM
if it's a "registered" pistol by law then it's a pistol. the laws states nothing nothing about caliber/cartridge, other then rifle being shoulder fired and using metallic cartirdges.

Thompson center single shot pistol in .300 win mag would be ok to use... it is a "pistol".

question I always had was why could I hunt coyote with a .223 OR "RIFLE" in the shotgun zone during daylight hours but could only use a rimfire at night. DNR officer I asked didnt even know why?

What about a fully rifled .12 gauge useing slugs loaded in metallic catridges??? it would, by law be considered a rifle no?

The problem with the bolded statement above is that it is a "necked" cartridge. I believe, for deer, you can only use "straight walled" cartridges in a pistol.

TFin04
10-05-2008, 10:58 PM
The problem with the bolded statement above is that it is a "necked" cartridge. I believe, for deer, you can only use "straight walled" cartridges in a pistol.
Can you clarify that a bit? Links maybe?

That would also take a folding AK out of the running. If I could, I would consider using my folding AK to harvest a deer this year.

huntmeister
10-05-2008, 11:24 PM
whoa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I ought to invite ya all over to discuss this around the bon-fire.

Common sense... original post... you can NOT hunt with pistol caliber rifle because a rifle is a rifle and not a pistol even though caliber of the rifle is that of a pistol.

You can hunt with pistol in the shotgun zone. unless there is *Exceptions" which would be that of straight walled cartridges only to be used in a pistol. thank'S DOUGWG

my option :
use a fully rifled barrel shotgun and use lightfield EXP sabot's

or pistol that can fire a .45/70 straight walled cartridge... lol

FYI I did not think about the straight walled cartridge in pistol only thanks dougwg.

but the law also says .35 caliber and above, what about .357 sig which is .38 caliber bullet, but is a necked down .40 caliber cartridge.????????

fun. isnt this?

dougwg
10-06-2008, 01:10 AM
Can you clarify that a bit? Links maybe?

That would also take a folding AK out of the running. If I could, I would consider using my folding AK to harvest a deer this year.

A conventional (smokeless powder) handgun must be .35 caliber
or larger and loaded with straight-walled cartridges and may be
single- or multiple-shot but cannot exceed a maximum capacity
of nine rounds in the barrel and magazine combined.

Page 11 on the right side.

Link to PDF (http://www.midnr.com/publications/pdfs/wildlife/DNR_2008HTG.pdf)

Also:
A shotgun may have a smooth or rifled barrel and may be of any gauge.

huntmeister
10-06-2008, 01:22 AM
WOW by the letter of the law you could not hunt with a .357 sig.

and you could NOT! hunt with .300 win mag pistol.

Im in argeement with dougwg. and the 2008 hunting guide.

dougwg
10-06-2008, 01:32 AM
Correct.

Believe it or not.... there are many dumb laws.

huntmeister
10-06-2008, 01:38 AM
laws just dont keep up with modern times untill a case ends up appealed.

but you could hunt with a .45/70 pistol. crazy.

TFin04
10-06-2008, 04:07 PM
Good stuff thanks.

Shyster
10-06-2008, 08:26 PM
laws just dont keep up with modern times untill a case ends up appealed.

but you could hunt with a .45/70 pistol. crazy.

Yes, but wouldn't you rather have these dumb laws in effect than to let the idiots in Lansing try to rewrite them?

russianblood
11-05-2008, 05:15 PM
I'm thinking about using my 1911 .45acp pistol for deer. I'd be using Federal Law Enforcement 230gr. HST +P ammunition. Here is my group from this mornings range session with this combo at 25yds:

http://www.elyfamily.com/images/230gr+P.jpg

huntmeister
11-05-2008, 05:23 PM
very nice, now do 20 push ups, run down to your target and back to replicate your body's reaction to "buck fever".
try and control your adrenaline and breathing, and heart rate. while shooting through tunnel vision.

Its a great stress shooting drill especialy for bow hunters.

Joeywhat
11-05-2008, 05:25 PM
I've been thinking about taking my 10mm out deer hunting this year...

russianblood
11-05-2008, 05:29 PM
I use deer hunting as my stress drill for concealed carry and home defense. :grin:

huntmeister
11-05-2008, 06:18 PM
well there you go. good luck hunting, post some pics with you gun next to the deer.

langenc
11-05-2008, 09:21 PM
I think we can all agree that the laws are poorly written, and few can make any sense of them...

as long as you're following all the WRITTEN laws, I wouldn't worry. If you're using a firearm that must be registered as a pistol, then I would say you can use it...however there are other laws that seem to say otherwise (that are specifically related to hunting).

In short, ask a lawyer. Or a higher-up at the DNR.

AND get it in writing!!!