PDA

View Full Version : Irons vs. Red Dots

orlerj
09-26-2014, 09:19 AM
Anyone on here have any information on irons vs. red dots for ar15, thoughts or experiences with both?

I have both and enjoy shooting either one. But is a red dot needed, can one be just as fast with irons if they train enough? I know both have their place but just wanted others opinions or findings.

Thanks,

-Josh

Pyzik
09-26-2014, 09:31 AM
After taking a carbine class with MDFI, I want a red dot on all my carbines. It just makes everything easier for me.
I see no point to NOT have one, personally.

RECON762WT
09-26-2014, 01:06 PM
For fun shooting, which sight or optic you use is purely a matter of personal preference. Hands down, for "real world use" a red dot is better than Iron sights on a rifle.

I still shoot irons for fun sometimes, and shot them exclusively in the past when there was a "limited" division in 3-guns. You can be just as fast and accurate, but it takes more training.

Red dots take the cake for all practical uses. They are: (1) easier to learn how to shoot; (2) faster to acquire on target; (3) can be shot easier in unconventional positions; (4) provide you with the ability to shoot in low and no light situations; and (5) maintain the same sight picture from weapon to weapon. I still have backup sights on all my RDS firearms.

bolonytony24
09-26-2014, 01:55 PM
^^^^^^ yes this^^^^
Irons are nice on some guns and I don't mind on an Ar either . hard to even compare the two . I prefer a decent Red Dot hands down .

DEVIL DOG
09-27-2014, 08:46 AM
My eyes are bad, bad, bad. Red dots are good, good, good.

MSUICEMAN
09-28-2014, 06:45 PM
I just got a new upper and threw an eotech on it.... AWESOME! though I do have a long distance upper with high power scope, anything in close, the eotech is the ticket. though I do have BUIS on it also (magpul pros).

Quantum007
09-28-2014, 07:26 PM
My eyes are bad, bad, bad. Red dots are good, good, good.

Exactly. The older my eyes feel or on bad allergy days having the red dot on the gun just makes life a lot easier.

nmuskier
10-12-2014, 07:33 PM
I have an astigmatism, so red dots blur in my vision. It is better with corrective lenses.

Even with a red dot, you need back up iron sights on any rifle that you plan on attending a two way range. I use a solid front sight post and a flip up rear.

partdeux
10-13-2014, 09:05 AM
why a red dot over a low powered scope?

Pyzik
10-13-2014, 09:18 AM
why a red dot over a low powered scope?

Red dots are typically smaller/lighter. Can provide co-witness. Most are parallax free.

Dirty_Harry
10-13-2014, 11:29 AM
Iron sights are great, but all my carbines will have some sort of optic. The red dot is so much quicker to pick up than irons. A good quality optic isnt cheap, but worth is. $400 for an Eotech 512 (my preference) or aimpoint pro isnt much in the long run.

Rootsy
10-13-2014, 08:23 PM
Out to what distance?????

GarrettJ
10-14-2014, 01:04 PM
Anyone on here have any information on irons vs. red dots for ar15, thoughts or experiences with both?

I have both and enjoy shooting either one. But is a red dot needed, can one be just as fast with irons if they train enough?

You don't state what your intended purpose is for the rifle. All of the suggestions you have received are based on people's assumption of what the primary role of your rifle is.

Shooting at "rifle" distances, I strongly prefer a magnified optic of some sort. Low- or high-powered magnification will further depend on the intended purpose of the rifle. Following that, I would prefer open sights to a red dot, as you can put the target on top of the sight post, as opposed to covering the target with a dot that is several times the size of the intended target at distance.

But at closer distances, the red dot really stands out for speed of target acquisition. If you want a good example, take a look at the results of most any subgun match. (last week's National Subgun Championship at Knob Creek should be officially posted any day now). Due to the cost of machine guns, competitors will often shoot the same gun in multiple divisions, where the only difference is the addition or removal of an optic. Everything else - gun, mags, ammo, equipment - is the same from one run to the other. The "Optics Division" for the same shooter is almost always (I would estimate at over 95%) the faster run. How does that translate to a semi-auto rifle, shot at close (under 100 yds.) range? probably pretty well.

sobbry sr
10-21-2014, 08:28 AM
I have a 1-4 Burris red dot M-tac on 30 30 marlin 336 looks old school but has red dot for old eyes

bountybuddy
08-08-2015, 06:47 AM
I have a friend that has been shooting hand guns and rifles for over 50 years. He refuses to shoot a hand gun that does not have a red dot sight on it. In my opinion there is very little chance of a round going wild with a red dot sight. Shoot well my friend.

Therealkoop
08-08-2015, 08:20 PM
I have a friend that has been shooting hand guns and rifles for over 50 years. He refuses to shoot a hand gun that does not have a red dot sight on it. In my opinion there is very little chance of a round going wild with a red dot sight. Shoot well my friend.

Irons for long range, dots for close.

I just run variables.