PDA

View Full Version : I'm confused????

erict
09-28-2014, 01:30 PM
I was bore sighting my red dot today and wonder if this is correct. Poa was left and high of bore sight laser. I had to move windage left and elevation up to get Poa to center on laser. I thought I would have to move windage right and elevation down. So I had to move the dials toward POA.

Please school me. Do I move turrets in the direction of POI or POA?

crankythunder
09-28-2014, 01:58 PM
Dear Erict:

that is correct, your red dot is adjusting the way it is sposed to.

for most scopes and red dots, you adjust the direction you want the bullet impact to move. In your instance, had you shot the target, you would have impacted low and to the right of your point of aim. Upon seeing that, you would want to move the point of impact up and to the left so that is how you would adjust the scope.

It comes from the iron sights on a rifle where you would move the rear sight in the direction you want to move the impact of the bullet.

Regards,
Cranky

www.ccrcpistolteam.weebly.com
www.ccrcrifleteam.weebly.com

erict
09-28-2014, 02:16 PM
Ok, let's give another example. If I'm at the range and I center the bulls eye and my point of impact was high and left, would I move the elevation toward down and windage toward right? If this is correct, it was the complete opposite of what I had to do bore sighting.

crankythunder
09-28-2014, 03:15 PM
Hello again erict:

In your original example, your point of aim was high and left of your point of impact or your boresight. You could also describe this as your point of impact was low and to the right of your point of aim. therefore, you want to move the point of impact OR you want to move the bullet up and to the left.

Regards,
Cranky

erict
09-28-2014, 03:27 PM
Hello again erict:

In your original example, your point of aim was high and left of your point of impact or your boresight. You could also describe this as your point of impact was low and to the right of your point of aim. therefore, you want to move the point of impact OR you want to move the bullet up and to the left.

Regards,
Cranky

So I always need to adjust point of impact to point of aim, correct?

bolonytony24
09-28-2014, 03:37 PM
So I always need to adjust point of impact to point of aim, correct?

if i am reading this correctly myself, you have a bore sight laser pointer that should represent your POI. you should be adjusting your POA to match the POI. you can not adjust the bullet travel or POI.
sounds like you would be adjusting your red dot right and down to line up with the bore laser.

erict
09-28-2014, 04:09 PM
if i am reading this correctly myself, you have a bore sight laser pointer that should represent your POI. you should be adjusting your POA to match the POI. you can not adjust the bullet travel or POI.
sounds like you would be adjusting your red dot right and down to line up with the bore laser.

I thought so too. But as cranky said, one can also describe my first post as POI was down and to the right. This would make sense giving my adjustments. I was trying to adjust my red dot to the POI when I should have been adjusting the POI to the red dot. Now it makes sense why I had to adjust left and up.

bolonytony24
09-28-2014, 05:22 PM
:scratch: we may be confusing the two. if you were able to put your gun in a vice to keep in it the same position you could simply fire a round on target. no matter where on the target the hole is you can simply adjust your red dot to line up with that hole and it should be accurate if you have not moved the firearm.
in your case if you have a laser bore sight steady the rifle as best you can at desired range and simply align the two dots(bore and reticle) on your target point.

erict
09-28-2014, 05:46 PM
:scratch: we may be confusing the two. if you were able to put your gun in a vice to keep in it the same position you could simply fire a round on target. no matter where on the target the hole is you can simply adjust your red dot to line up with that hole and it should be accurate if you have not moved the firearm.
in your case if you have a laser bore sight steady the rifle as best you can at desired range and simply align the two dots(bore and reticle) on your target point.

Here is what I did, this may help.....

I placed my rifle in a gun vise with the laser bore installed. I then looked through the red dot and it was high left. I proceeded to turn the windage right per the arrow and the red dot was going further to the left. The same happened when I adjusted the elevation down, the red dot went further up. I was trying to bring the red dot too the POI. What I should have been doing is making adjustments to bring the POI to the POA. So the correct adjustment was left and up.

So the red dot/scope turret adjustments pertain to moving the POI too the POA. I always thought it was the other way around.

bolonytony24
09-28-2014, 05:59 PM
:thumbup:

erict
09-28-2014, 06:18 PM
It's been awhile, so I needed to go back to school.....:book:

crankythunder
09-28-2014, 07:15 PM
Hey guys!

Looks like you figured it out!

Glad to be of assistance.

Its all based on the stone age when the neaderthals were zeroing the respective strap length on their slings and they finally figured it out when cain slayed able! Or was it Samson and golitith? anways.......

Ya ever get to the Lansing area, track me down. Got a tall cold one waiting for ya.

Regards,
Cranky

erict
09-28-2014, 07:31 PM
Hey guys!

Looks like you figured it out!

Glad to be of assistance.

Its all based on the stone age when the neaderthals were zeroing the respective strap length on their slings and they finally figured it out when cain slayed able! Or was it Samson and golitith? anways.......

Ya ever get to the Lansing area, track me down. Got a tall cold one waiting for ya.

Regards,
Cranky

Thanks for clarifying it for me.