PDA

View Full Version : HB 5887, HB 5888 Prohibit employees of certain Federal agencies from carrying firearm

Tallbear
10-03-2014, 09:12 AM
HB 5887 of 2014 (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=2014-HB-5887)
Weapons; firearms; carrying of firearms in this state by employees of certain federal agencies; prohibit. Creates new act.
Last Action: 10/2/2014 referred to Committee on Judiciary
HB 5888 of 2014 (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=2014-HB-5888)
Criminal procedure; sentencing guidelines; sentencing guidelines for violations of the regulatory agency demilitarization act; adopt. Amends sec. 11b, ch. XVII of 1927 PA 175 (MCL 777.11b). TIE BAR WITH: HB 5887'14
Last Action: 10/2/2014 referred to Committee on Judiciary

Roundballer
10-03-2014, 01:08 PM
Sec. 1. This act shall be known and may be cited as the "regulatory agency demilitarization act".
Where is that cotton-picking "like" button?

Walther
10-04-2014, 07:43 AM
(b) "Federal agency" means that term as defined in 40 USC 102, but does not include any of the following:
(i) The United States department of defense.
(ii) The United States department of justice.
(iii) The United States department of homeland security.
(iv) The nuclear regulatory commission.
(v) The United States capitol police.
(vi) The bureau of diplomatic security.
(vii) The central intelligence agency.
(viii) The military departments, as that term is defined in 5

So, who does that leave, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac? Besides federal housing, what's left? EPA?

There's a discussion on this in the Politics forum.

jgillmanjr
10-04-2014, 10:22 AM
So, who does that leave, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac? Besides federal housing, what's left? EPA?

Department of education, IRS, etc

SteveS
10-04-2014, 08:31 PM

Even if, by some miracle, this made it out of committee, it would be found unconstitutional because of the supremacy clause. There were some states that tried to limit the powers of federal law enforcement back in the 19th century and it didn't work.

Walther
10-05-2014, 09:40 AM
Even if, by some miracle, this made it out of committee, it would be found unconstitutional because of the supremacy clause. There were some states that tried to limit the powers of federal law enforcement back in the 19th century and it didn't work.

If I'm remembering correctly Missouri tried to pass a law last year, or maybe it was early this year, that essentially reversed every federal firearm law. It failed in court, I think.

SteveS
10-06-2014, 05:27 PM
If I'm remembering correctly Missouri tried to pass a law last year, or maybe it was early this year, that essentially reversed every federal firearm law. It failed in court, I think.

I remember the bill's sponsor even admitted it was mostly a symbolic act.