PDA

View Full Version : Fat on a deer

gjgalligan
10-08-2014, 05:52 AM
Any of you that have dressed out a deer, how thick was the fat layer?
Friend of mine got a 3.5 yr old 6 pt near Lewiston, said it had the heaviest fat layer he had ever seen on a deer.
Some say that indicates a hard winter.

pkuptruck
10-08-2014, 06:59 AM
to me, just indicates a fat deer.. lol.

in that area... lots of GREAT mast and acorn and where applicable.. farm crops..
good for the herd.

not sure about the crystal ball aspects tho.. lol.

Jackam
10-08-2014, 09:33 AM
If someone skinned me, the price of natural gas would skyrocket with the panic of an oncoming ice age. :D

mikethepike
10-08-2014, 11:16 AM
^^^^ :clap:---Mama said you were "husky" , not fat

Sledhead
10-08-2014, 11:23 AM
My dad always said that as well when he'd harvest a few in August, err, I mean the early early doe season.

Cesure
10-08-2014, 12:05 PM
Any of you that have dressed out a deer, how thick was the fat layer?
Friend of mine got a 3.5 yr old 6 pt near Lewiston, said it had the heaviest fat layer he had ever seen on a deer.

The national weather service is predicting a mild winter. I would say that's a better indicator of a hard winter. I'm predicting that I will find lots of fat when a get deer this year. There are plenty of apples on the trees and already fallen. There's corn and beans in the nearby fields. If I don't find lots of fat, I'll be worried. We had a cold Spring and the crops got started late, but the deer never seemed to notice.

Dirty_Harry
10-08-2014, 03:28 PM
If someone skinned me, the price of natural gas would skyrocket with the panic of an oncoming ice age. :D

That made my day, thanks! :clap:

Cesure
10-08-2014, 03:47 PM

I've converted deer fat into biodiesel. I suppose it would work just as well with Super Moderator fat. :D

Ruger
10-08-2014, 07:10 PM
All it means is that that deer had a great food source. My uncle used to plant a small plot with Rutabaga and leave it for the deer and all the deer taken on his farm had a thick layer of fat on them. When the only have to go 50 yards to feed and 50 yards back to bed down they get fat fast.

langenc
10-12-2014, 10:22 AM
We have a good crop of acorns. I wonder what was in the stomach of that deer.

Deer biologist was talking, on radio, about prospects for deer season the other day "After two mild winters in a row the pop is up in most areas."

That statement reminded me of a Democrat Party fair booth last year--what country were they talking about??

MI-1911
10-12-2014, 12:23 PM

Others say he probably ate at McDonalds!

Walther
10-13-2014, 06:54 AM
Like anything else, there are active deer and lazy deer. Biologists have proven that deer with a heavy layer of fat tend to watch a lot of TV. They also like that Cabela's hunting video game.