PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Hunting in Limited Firearm Deer Zone (DISCREPANCY)

RayMich
10-12-2014, 01:47 PM
I am looking in the "2014 Michigan Hunting and Trapping Digest" and have found what I believe to be a MAJOR discrepancy.

On Page 20 it says,

All Firearm Deer Seasons - Limited Firearm Deer Zone

In the limited firearms deer zone, all hunters afield from Nov. 15-30, and all deer hunters in this zone during other deer seasons, must abide by the following firearm restrictions or use a crossbow or a bow and arrow. Legal firearms as follows:

the Sixth bullet reads,

A .35 caliber or larger rifle loaded with straight-walled cartridges with a minimum case length of 1.16 inches and a maximum case length of 1.80 inches.

This reflects the information we have been discussing here at MGO for months.

However, the bullet just before that reads,

Centerfire or rimfire may be used Dec. 1 - Nov. 9 in the limited firearm deer zone during open seasons. Exception: Rifles may NOT be used for deer, turkeys, migratory game birds and certain furbearers.

This bullet encompasses almost the whole year (Dec. 1 thru Nov. 9) and could cause a lot of nasty confrontations between hunters and COs in the limited firearms deer zone.

So, which is it? Can we used the above described rifle in the limited firearms deer zone or not?

Can these rifles be used during the early and late "Antlerless Seasons"?

Can someone, please, shed some light regarding this.

Thanks in advance.

CircuitRider
10-12-2014, 03:00 PM
N/M. I misread what I misread. :oops:

Leader
10-13-2014, 09:30 AM
I am looking in the "2014 Michigan Hunting and Trapping Digest" and have found what I believe to be a MAJOR discrepancy.

On Page 20 it says,

the Sixth bullet reads,
This reflects the information we have been discussing here at MGO for months.

However, the bullet just before that reads,

This bullet encompasses almost the whole year (Dec. 1 thru Nov. 9) and could cause a lot of nasty confrontations between hunters and COs in the limited firearms deer zone.

So, which is it? Can we used the above described rifle in the limited firearms deer zone or not?

Can these rifles be used during the early and late "Antlerless Seasons"?

Can someone, please, shed some light regarding this.

Thanks in advance.

Yes you MAY use any centerfire rifle in the limited firearm deer zone during the posted dates.
Yes you may use these rifles during the early and late seasons.
No you may NOT use centerfire rifles other then those allowed for firearm deer hunting during the early or late anterless seasons in the limited firearm deer zone.

In the limited firearms deer zone, all hunters afield from Nov. 15-30, and all deer hunters in this zone during other deer seasons, must abide by the following firearm restrictions or use a crossbow or a bow and arrow. Legal firearms as follows:

Walther
10-14-2014, 06:59 AM
No discrepency. The time period Dec 1 thru Nov 9 describes the period from right after rifle/shotgun season ends until the 5 day 'no gun' period just before rifle/shotgun season the following year. This includes the aforementioned seasons, Turkey, migratory game birds, etc. It would also include any other deer hunting periods such as the youth hunt, etc. the only period the bullet does NOT address is the 5 day no guns period from just before rifle/shotgun season through the season itself. Since the bullet in question is specific to dates, you're safe during gun season.

But yeah, it is confusing. It's also leftover from before the new rules were in effect.

RayMich
10-14-2014, 06:44 PM
No discrepency. The time period Dec 1 thru Nov 9 describes the period from right after rifle/shotgun season ends until the 5 day 'no gun' period just before rifle/shotgun season the following year. This includes the aforementioned seasons, Turkey, migratory game birds, etc. It would also include any other deer hunting periods such as the youth hunt, etc. the only period the bullet does NOT address is the 5 day no guns period from just before rifle/shotgun season through the season itself. Since the bullet in question is specific to dates, you're safe during gun season.

But yeah, it is confusing. It's also leftover from before the new rules were in effect.
Well, the "Early Antlerless Firearm Season" was on September 20-21 and the "Late Antlerless Firearm Season" runs from December 22 thru January 1. - They falls within the dates listed in the exception.

Today I called the DNR Law Division for clarification and here is what the lady told me:

[*=1]The book was printed before the regulations were finalized.
[*=1]The word "deer" should have been removed from the exception noted above.
[*=1]The .35 Caliber or larger rifles loaded with straight-walled cartridges with a minimum case length of 1.16 inches and a maximum case length of 1.80 inches. ARE LEGAL in the Limited Firearm Deer Zone during ALL firearm deer hunting seasons in the Limited Firearm Deer Zone, except during Muzzleloading Season.

I then asked her to email me her interpretation, in case an over-zealous CO decides to go strictly by the book and she told me to call the "Report All Poaching" line and ask to speak with a CO in my county to find out how the rules will be interpreted in my county.

I then called the "Report All Poaching" line as instructed and after going around several choices in their automatic answering system, it sent me back to the same lady at the DNR Law Division. (So much for government efficiency...) :?

SO.... If one hunts during the Antlerless Season and encounters a Conservation Officer who goes "By-The-Book", you better hope he skips that Exception on Page 20 of the 2014 Digest.