PDA

View Full Version : Worms on or in a duck?

Ghost1941
10-17-2014, 03:02 PM
Let me start with the back story... Killed two ducks from the opener, breasted both of them and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. The one hen mallard had a really vibrant color set on her wings so I cut one off and salted the end of it. I placed it in a bag with some additional salt and set it on a table in the garage. I went out to check on it today and there was a large number of small white worms crawling around the feathers. They did not appear to be maggots and after I pointed a light at them they worked their way back into the feathers and for the most part disappeared.

ANY ideas what the hell these things are and how they actually got there?

DV8r
10-17-2014, 03:33 PM
IDK, but leave them alone and they should hatch into a fly of some sort that may be easily recognized. Meanwhile thank them for cleaning the wing for you.

langenc
10-20-2014, 01:16 PM
Maggots take many forms esp fly maggots. Those in DC are different.

DV8r
10-20-2014, 05:46 PM
Maggots take many forms esp fly maggots. Those in DC are different.
The DC variety is easily distinguished though by its fowl aroma.

Ghost1941
10-21-2014, 10:34 AM
The DC variety is easily distinguished though by its fowl aroma.

I see what you did there... :whistle:

Roundballer
10-21-2014, 12:00 PM
ANY ideas what the hell these things are and how they actually got there?

I would surmise that some fly of some sort had laid eggs on the ducks wings when it was still alive, or the duck had picked up the eggs from some other action. Much the same as ducks and geese pick up fish eggs on their feet and transfer them to other lakes, streams, and ponds. The fly eggs were there when the wing was placed in the bag. The duck if it was still alive would have cleaned itself of the hatched larva as soon as they showed, most likely by eating them as the duck tended to its' feathers. They have now hatched and will live on the desiccating soft tissues left in the wing, until they move onto the next stage of their development. Eventually the type of fly that the eggs came from would be evident.