PDA

View Full Version : Grouse hunting.

huntmeister
10-14-2008, 10:42 PM
Just got back from grouse hunting in central michigan area, grouse hunting, not grouse shooting, kicked up lots of birds out there this year, grouse and woodcock. hows anyone else doing, and has anyone ever hunted grouse in the winter with snow on the ground, where would they be???? food or cover??? please dont say hunt the aspen groves.

Done Deal
10-15-2008, 06:57 AM
A couple of my friends were going out yesterday here in central Michigan and were supposed to bring me one to give to a friend of mine who is in taxidermy school.

Well...since I never heard from them yesterday and no sleeved bird arrived unannounced, I have to assume that they fared no better than you did.

Man, it has been years since I had a good thunderbird hunt....

Passport
11-08-2008, 07:54 AM
I own a small chunk of ground just north of Weidman, central MI, and when I bought it there were grouse everywhere. Now if you walk the whole thing you might see 1. But I do have Bobcats, I see em all the time deer hunting, wish I could shoot one, Im sure there pounding my birds.

fbuckner
11-08-2008, 07:57 AM
Find a trapper in the area to trap the bobcats. I am sure there are several over there. You can find one on Michigantrappers.com

thumbody
11-09-2008, 03:33 AM
has anyone ever hunted grouse in the winter with snow on the ground, where would they be???? food or cover???

My favorite grouse hunts were with about 6-8 inches of fresh powder. You could see where they had landed and walked in the snow. They would bury themselves in the snow and you could not see them but they usually held til you just about stepped on them. Those were about the only times I ever limited out on them.

I usually found them in cover near abandoned apple orchards or near wild grape vines.

And sometimes in aspen groves:hide:

Passport
11-09-2008, 07:49 AM
Find a trapper in the area to trap the bobcats. I am sure there are several over there. You can find one on Michigantrappers.com

I dont think its legal to hunt or trap them in Isabella county....

langenc
11-09-2008, 03:57 PM
It is legal to trap on PRIVATE land. I dont know about Isabella Co. Hunting (where legal) can be done public/private. Doggers have better lobbist that trappers. Check recent ruling about trapping. May not be in book. Try Michigan Trappers asn site.