PDA

View Full Version : Nightforce SHV vs Trijicon Accupoint

Langford
11-01-2014, 10:37 PM
Gents,

I'm in the market for a new scope for my hunting rifle (Rem 700 .243). The big boys on my property love to wait until the sun drops behind the tree line before they start moving, so I want a scope that's great in low-light conditions.

I've got it narrowed down to two specific scopes, the Nightforce SHV 4-14x56mm and the Trijicon Accupoint TR22-1, 2.5-10x56mm. Both have great reviews, both have the large objective and relatively low magnification range I'm looking for, both have 30mm tubes, both have illuminated reticles, and both are priced very similarly.

Trijicon:
https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=TR22-1

Nightforce:
http://nightforceoptics.com/shv-4-14x56/

Now the nightforce is a bigger scope all around...1" longer and 8oz heavier, which isn't necessarily a good thing. This is going on a fairly light weight Rem 700 that will be hauled in and out of the woods daily, and a lighter more compact package is easier to handle from a tree stand.

The main differences between the two is the illumination system. The NF uses a battery powered adjustable brightness reticle. The Trijicon used their dual illumination system, fiber optic and tritium dot. The trijicon is much simpler, no settings to change, no switches to switch...always on and no adjustments. The NF needs turned on, and adjusted for different light conditions. I've been told that if you're not in direct sunlight, the fiber optic portion of the trijicon does no good, and the tritium becomes hard to see...the last thing I want to do is spend over a grand on a scope and have the illuminated reticle get lost in the scrub trees in low light conditions (which is one of the major reasons I'm upgrading from my Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x50mm scope). But from what I've seen while fondling the trij, that tritium glows fairly well, even with no ambient light to brighten it up.

I know the trijicon is supposed to have excellent glass, but I've been told that the NF is far better...Any truth to that? Does the tritium dot on the trij fade over time? Anybody have any experience with either of these scopes? Any reason to lean towards one over the other? Any other suggestions for better scopes along these same lines?

Right now, I'm not leaning one way or the other...I like certain aspects of each scope, so I'm looking for pros and cons to help sway me towards one.

Thanks for any insight,

Kyle

Shyster
11-02-2014, 03:13 AM
I have a 3x9 Accupoint on my deer rifle, a Wnchester Model 70 in .270 and I like it a lot. Some people bash Trijicon but I think the glass and light gathering ability is great.

Langford
11-02-2014, 03:00 PM
Does yours have the tritium dot? If so, how old is the scope and is it still fairly bright?

Shyster
11-03-2014, 12:03 AM
Does yours have the tritium dot? If so, how old is the scope and is it still fairly bright?

Yes it has a red triangle. Scope is about 8 years old and the tritium is still bright

EricF517
11-06-2014, 08:40 PM
All I can say is NF. More elevation with the NF.

Langford
11-06-2014, 09:37 PM
After playing with both, I ended up ordering the nightforce. They didnt have one in stock with the illuminated reticle, so they're shipping one from another store...should be here next week.