PDA

View Full Version : Feed may be no more than 100 yards from from a residence... Why is this???

solarguy
11-11-2014, 07:02 AM
I was just reviewing the regs to make sure I dot my "i" s and cross my "t" s.

Under the section concerning baiting, there is this rule:

"Feed may be no more than 100 yards from a residence on land owned or
possessed by that person."

What is the purpose or idea behind this law?

Here's the source:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/hunting_and_trapping_digest_461177_7.pdf#page=16

thanks in advance,

troy

Leader
11-11-2014, 08:16 AM
I was just reviewing the regs to make sure I dot my "i" s and cross my "t" s.

Under the section concerning baiting, there is this rule:

"Feed may be no more than 100 yards from a residence on land owned or
possessed by that person."

What is the purpose or idea behind this law?

Here's the source:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/hunting_and_trapping_digest_461177_7.pdf#page=16

thanks in advance,

troy

This is a regulation for FEEDING, which can be done all year as opposed to Baiting that can be done only from Sept 15 - Jan 1.

Feeding is for viewing deer & other animals, baiting is for hunting.

Jackam
11-11-2014, 10:05 AM
Feeding is not baiting, but people were "feeding" in areas that baiting was illegal.
Some of this feeding took place a lot closer to a guy's deer stand than his home, thus the rule.
This was particularly important for the TB zones.

solarguy
11-11-2014, 05:33 PM
Thanks, that clarified things nicely,

troy

langenc
11-13-2014, 08:19 PM
Feeding so the viewing of animals can be enjoyed by people doing it.

Neighbor does it, illegal in this county, and 5 yrs ago I know of 5 deer were hit coming to her feed. Five vehicles damaged for her enjoyment AND 5 dead deer. How is that enjoyable??

westcliffe01
11-13-2014, 10:06 PM
Part of the thought process with the 100 yard rule might be so that the animals would be inside the 150 yard "safety zone" around occupied buildings. Not sure how it helps anything, just 1 more thing to cite a poacher for if they shoot one of the deer at your feeder...

I have explicit (written) permission to fire on coyotes inside the safety zone, given that is where the sheep go when under attack. Probably 8 out of 9 dead sheep this last September were found in the safety zone around the barn where they expired after being partially consumed. If I was busted for firing in a safety zone without having permission by a field officer, I seriously doubt they would think twice about citing me, regardless of the magnitude of the losses to the landowner by the coyotes that they defined as being a "game" species. Now that you have to buy the equivalent of a small game license before you can do anything else, I hope voters get on them about de-listing the coyote as a game species or gets it declared as vermin.

solarguy
11-13-2014, 10:21 PM
Hold on a second...you can't kill a coyote if it's killing your sheep???

Or, just not in the magic safety zone???

Curiouser and curiouser.

troy

westcliffe01
11-13-2014, 10:34 PM
The property owner does not need permission to protect his sheep. But someone acting on his behalf (employee, volunteer etc) is not conveyed the same rights. So beware and get a permission slip that clearly authorizes the predator hunter to shoot in the safety zone if needed. In the example I cited, I kill coyotes that are on someone elses property and I need their permission to shoot in the safety zones (2 homes and 3 major outbuildings = a lot of overlapping 150 yard radius circles)...

solarguy
11-14-2014, 07:52 AM
Ok, that's a relief.

Jackam
11-16-2014, 08:28 PM
So beware and get a permission slip that clearly authorizes the predator hunter to shoot in the safety zone if needed.
Verbal works just fine. It used to be that written permission was mandatory but landowners were skittish about giving written slips and getting sued. DNR changed it so verbally is acceptable.

oldmann1967
12-01-2014, 09:19 PM
Verbal works just fine. It used to be that written permission was mandatory but landowners were skittish about giving written slips and getting sued. DNR changed it so verbally is acceptable.

According to the DNR site, written permission must be given.
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10363-71467--,00.html

afety Zones Around Buildings

Safety zones are all areas within 150 yards (450 feet) of an occupied building, house, cabin, or any barn or other building used in a farm operation. No person, including archery and crossbow hunters, may hunt or discharge a firearm, crossbow or bow in a safety zone, or shoot at any wild animal or wild bird within a safety zone, without the written permission of the owner or occupant of such safety zone. The safety zone applies to hunting only. It does not apply to indoor or outdoor shooting ranges, target shooting, law enforcement activities or the discharge of firearms, crossbows or bows for any non-hunting purpose.

Roundballer
12-01-2014, 10:08 PM
According to the DNR site, written permission must be given.
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10363-71467--,00.html

<snip>

And amazingly, the law says the same thing....

MCL 324-40111 (http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-324-40111)

(6) An individual shall not hunt or discharge a firearm within 150 yards of an occupied building, dwelling, house, residence, or cabin, or any barn or other building used in connection with a farm operation, without obtaining the written permission of the owner, renter, or occupant of the property.

westcliffe01
12-01-2014, 10:18 PM
Some people think one can skirt the law, simply because they have not been caught yet and had the error of their ways pointed out to them. I don't think a safety zone voilation would play nice with a CPL or employer background checks.

Leader
12-01-2014, 10:23 PM
Some people think one can skirt the law, simply because they have not been caught yet and had the error of their ways pointed out to them. I don't think a safety zone voilation would play nice with a CPL or employer background checks.

It would be almost as bad as a traffic ticket.

OMG!!!!!!!!!

Jackam
12-03-2014, 12:02 PM
And amazingly, the law says the same thing....

MCL 324-40111 (http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-324-40111)

I don't have time to find it right now, but I know that they did away with written permission because landowners were reluctant to put anything in writing.
Maybe that didn't reflect the safety zone, only the land that is not in the safety zone.

If that's the case, If anything, I would say that when the law was changed, they forgot to add in the safety zones.

oldmann1967
12-03-2014, 09:41 PM
You are spot on. No needed written permission for hunting on private land. Now you give a land owner phone number for private land doe permit.

Roundballer
12-03-2014, 10:18 PM
I don't have time to find it right now, but I know that they did away with written permission because landowners were reluctant to put anything in writing.
Maybe that didn't reflect the safety zone, only the land that is not in the safety zone.

If that's the case, If anything, I would say that when the law was changed, they forgot to add in the safety zones.
I had to go looking because you didn't. In the "Recreational Trespass Act" they do allow for oral permission, but it does not extend into the safety zone per the law already posted.

MCL 324-73102 (http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-324-73102)

(5) Consent to enter or remain upon the property of another person pursuant to this section may be given orally or in writing. The consent may establish conditions for entering or remaining upon that property. Unless prohibited in the written consent, a written consent may be amended or revoked orally. If the owner or his or her lessee or agent requires all persons entering or remaining upon the property to have written consent, the presence of the person on the property without written consent is prima facie evidence of unlawful entry.
Written or oral is wholly at the discretion of the property owner.

nmuskier
12-24-2014, 10:13 PM
I don't feed, but I do maintain a rather large compost pile on the back 40. You know, cabbage, carrots, sugar beets. Don't worry, I've posted it, "Attn: deer. Do NOT eat from this compost site, it is NOT bait. Violators will be shot on sight!"