PDA

View Full Version : Hunt this morning

Garbo
10-18-2008, 10:22 PM
Ok the story,,, We were generously invited to hunt another members property and as you can see had some good success this morning.

We got in the field and set by 6:50ish and about 7:20ish light started to break. I used a box style call I purchesed from RSF I believe it was at the outdoorr show in Novi last year and started making some noise. Almost immediatly I was getting some response from behind and to my left. We were in a pop up blind opposite one another watching over one anothers shoulders. My guess that there was a good Tomm about 100 yards to my left and after about 1/2 hours things got quiet for about 10 min. I figured we got busted and he was gone. Just as those thoughts went threw my head I churped the call one more time and suddenly from about 5 yards behind me the loudest gobble came out and darn near scared the crap outta me. My daughters eyes grew big as I see her finger point over my right shoulder. Neither of us in any type of shooting position and in fact I had leaned my gun against the wall when this happened. This bugger snuck right up in the blind spot.

My daughter slowly tried to move into position but he had her. He ran to my left,, seen her again then to my right and so on each time instead of running str8 away he ran a zig zag and every time he seen her just changed directions but getting further out each time. After about a minute or so of this she said daddy you're going to have to take the shot and in a selfless act leaned the gun towards me. Now the entire time my back was to it so I had no idea where it was but I was also in a section of the blind that I could move around without being spotted. So she used her finger as a compass and pointe to me which direction it was at. When it got to where it was over my left shoulder I spun and had to make a quick decision to shoot or not (being that that was the first time I actuallt seen it) and that decision was easy. Blam!! He fluttered about for a minute or two and was done

Regardless of who actually pulled the trigger neither one of us on our own could have taken this bird the way it snuck up on us and in fact her identifying that fact that she couldnt likely get a good shot and then assisting me in making it was truely amazing to me. Her first time actually hunting (been with me before but wasnt old enough to hunt herself) she was anxious and I'm sure would have placed a good shot. @ 10 years old she's got the instinct. Not to mention that the only thing I did dressing this thing up was the cutting. She plucked it and gutted it herself (gaged once) but then got right back to work. Awsome experience for both of us. My first turkey as well.

dougwg
10-18-2008, 10:32 PM
:wow:

Garbo
10-19-2008, 07:02 AM
Thx doug

RSF
10-19-2008, 08:22 AM
congrats that farm holds some nice birds.........

fbuckner
10-19-2008, 08:25 AM
Shhhh

RSF
10-19-2008, 09:06 AM
LOTS OF DOVES AND STARLINGS AND PIGEONS NO TURKEYS THOUGH.

mkls0
10-19-2008, 09:27 AM
Cool looking bird!!!

What time is dinner

HOOAH

Maranatha
10-19-2008, 09:47 AM
That Bird looks about bigger than her

Garbo
10-19-2008, 10:40 AM
And she's about 4 ft and 87lbs to give you some idea. Yeah it was pretty big. I havent weighed it since i dressed it. I'll do that before it goes in the deep fryer. I'm guessing 18-20lbs. Was a solid 30-35 out of the field tho.

Garbo
10-19-2008, 09:00 PM
Something that went on during the hunt I wanted to share/ask about. Tallking to another turkey hunter something that my daughter said didnt really mean anything to me untill I was told this. After the shot was made another turker (pretty sure It was a jake) ran up to it and my daughter said pecked at it (I was looking down at the time) so then I looked up and was getting ready to hand her the gun cause he wasnt leaving but decided against it cause he was much smaller and that shot pretty much had to hers on her tag. But it was just too small. At least compared to the one that was dropped.

Now what I was told was that sometimes when you shoot the dominant male for an area the others will attack it as it flutters because they basicly think its showing a sign of weakness.

Anyway is this true and is it possible thats what happenmed there?

By the way somehow the story on the OP was deleted so I filled it back in in case anyone wants to read on.

RSF
10-19-2008, 09:49 PM
in general yes. kind of a kick it while its down thing.

Garbo
10-20-2008, 05:33 AM
Thats the only reason I figured it would hang around while I was fumbling around. In fact now that I think of it I had only one shot in her gun so I had time to throw nother in there, pump it and still had time to consider before he left. He wanted that #1 spot I guess.