PDA

View Full Version : Learn about hunting in Mi?

pustulio
11-16-2014, 09:41 PM
It's surely too late this year to do any deer hunting, so I want to start learning more about hunting in Mi in preparation for hopefully going next year.

A relative of mine suggested I should be able to hunt around my place because I have mostly field surrounding me, and own about 1.3 acres. I don't really think I have enough area, and I haven't seen any activity anyway (although I spotted a few tracks here and there). What're the rules pertaining to hunting on your own property?

I've also thought about doing some rabbit hunting, and *MAYBE* squirrel, although I've never had squirrel (nor rabbit for that matter) and am not really sure what I'd do with it.

A little ramble-y, but not entire sure where to start.

cmr19xx
11-17-2014, 08:14 AM
Have you done a hunter's safety course? It's a must to get a license. I'd also get a copy of the current hunting guide and spend some time reading it. Its available on-line.

Small game hunting (rabbit and squirrel) is a great place to start if you're just getting into hunting. The seasons are long, they don't require a big investment and they are fairly easy to pick up on. You also may be able to find some people to take you out and show you the ropes. Where do you live?

Rabbits are great eating, plus the pelts are nice. Squirrel is ok to eat. Some people love them. For me, I could take it or leave it.

Spend some time on youtube. There are ton's of videos on cooking both.

pustulio
11-17-2014, 08:32 AM
Have you done a hunter's safety course? It's a must to get a license. I'd also get a copy of the current hunting guide and spend some time reading it. Its available on-line.

Small game hunting (rabbit and squirrel) is a great place to start if you're just getting into hunting. The seasons are long, they don't require a big investment and they are fairly easy to pick up on. You also may be able to find some people to take you out and show you the ropes. Where do you live?

Rabbits are great eating, plus the pelts are nice. Squirrel is ok to eat. Some people love them. For me, I could take it or leave it.

Spend some time on youtube. There are ton's of videos on cooking both.

No hunter's safety course, so I suppose that's probably a good first step. I've been interested in rabbit for a while because I've heard it's quite tasty and doesn't take much in terms of equipment. I'm in southern central Mi between jackson/charlotte area.

cmr19xx
11-17-2014, 09:09 AM
Yeah. Definitely get the Hunter's safety course done. It isn't offered as much after deer season, but I'm sure you can find a place that will be offering it.

Rabbit hunting is a lot of fun, especially with a little snow on the ground. If you can get out after a fresh snow, its pretty easy to tell if there are rabbits around based on the tracks. Without a dog, be prepared to stomp on a lot brush piles. Take a buddy and take turns - one stomps and the other shoots.

pustulio
11-17-2014, 09:40 AM
Yeah. Definitely get the Hunter's safety course done. It isn't offered as much after deer season, but I'm sure you can find a place that will be offering it.

Rabbit hunting is a lot of fun, especially with a little snow on the ground. If you can get out after a fresh snow, its pretty easy to tell if there are rabbits around based on the tracks. Without a dog, be prepared to stomp on a lot brush piles. Take a buddy and take turns - one stomps and the other shoots.

Doesn't look like there's a course available in any county near me, so I'll have to hold off for now :p. I found a study guide online so I'll start by looking through that

cmr19xx
11-17-2014, 09:56 AM
If you have any sportsmen's clubs near you look at the calendars on their websites. I don't think the dnr website is all-inclusive.

Galeforcerm
11-18-2014, 11:21 AM
You can hunt for 2 years with another licensed hunter without taking hunters safety with an apprentice hunting license. I did that before taking the safety course to see if I liked hunting.

redeemed
11-20-2014, 07:58 PM
The classroom portion of hunters safety can be taken online, and it is really good. It's hunter-ed dot com (can't post links yet). Then you just find a field session which is just a review and usually taking a few shots. Not sure what the schedule is for that, but it's definitely a good way to go if you don't want to spend 3 evenings in a classroom.

WelshAmerican
11-21-2014, 08:30 AM
Doesn't look like there's a course available in any county near me, so I'll have to hold off for now :p. I found a study guide online so I'll start by looking through that

I've ordered a Marlin 795 in 22 cal. for my education and a trip to Appleseed. I thought it might do double-duty as a rifle for rabbits, but now, having done my searches on the internet, I think that the only rifle for the job is a shotgun, and the best way to hunt them is with a pair of beagles. Count me another newby.