PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk binoculars!

Shyster
12-05-2014, 09:42 PM
One topic I think a lot of people overlook when putting together their kit is a good set of binoculars. This past rifle season I found myself looking through my binoculars far, far more than ever given the new antler-point restrictions that are becoming increasingly popular. I looked through my rifle scope two times and shot once but I glassed several dozen deer.

I have Steiner 7x50 Police binoculars on a Redhead harness and I love the setup. What does everyone use?

IraqVet1982
12-05-2014, 09:48 PM
I FINALLY bought a pair of Bushnell 10x42 (I would've preferred 8x but I got a good deal). I think glassing keeps me more alert. I tend to zone out in the stand.

King Salmon 1
12-05-2014, 09:52 PM
Bought a pair of Vortex Diamondback 10x42 - great binocs for the money !!

crankythunder
12-06-2014, 09:04 AM
I have a number of pair of Tasco Offshore 7x50 waterproof marine binocs.

Don't let the name tasco put you off, while a lot of their optics were/are cheap and almost worthless, they did produce some excellent products and their offshore binoculars are one of them.

They usually are available off ebay for less then $100.00. Some models have the internal compass and ranging stadia lines, and also some models have lens coatings for bright sun. I highly recommend these binoculars for the image quality compared against the cost. Little bit big, a bit heavy but durable and crisp, bright, and excellent optics. I keep a pair in my truck, the wife's truck, my hunting blind, my cabin, and also a pair in the blind behind my house.

A number of military's around the world issued them as standard equipment as a cheaper alternative to the steiner marine 7x50's that retail for over $700.00. I have compaired my tascos against the steiners side by side in various conditions and I cannot tell a difference.

By the way I am a optic snob and have a number of high quality rifle scopes and would gladly purchase the steiner's if I thought they were better quality. With the tasco's, I am able to own a number of them such that they are always handy because what good is a pair of binoculars if they are sitting back at home. In my motorcycle, I carry a pair of steiner 7x30 that quite frankly, do not measure up to the tasco 7x50.

Regards,

Cranky

Regards,
Crankster

MI-1911
12-06-2014, 09:17 AM
I use Nikon's Monarch 8X42, sharp, bright!

EricF517
12-06-2014, 07:29 PM
One topic I think a lot of people overlook when putting together their kit is a good set of binoculars. This past rifle season I found myself looking through my binoculars far, far more than ever given the new antler-point restrictions that are becoming increasingly popular. I looked through my rifle scope two times and shot once but I glassed several dozen deer.

I have Steiner 7x50 Police binoculars on a Redhead harness and I love the setup. What does everyone use?

Well there in lies the problem with looking long range. I run a 6-24 power optic on the rifle, so it usually isn't the problem.

Part of the issue will come up with how far are you looking, and what is the budget you would consider?

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-razor-hd-11-33x50-straight-spotting-scope

steve77
12-06-2014, 09:13 PM
I use leupold acadia 10x42 on a harness. Not a bad low end rig. Would love to get something a bit nicer A buddy of mine has these Vortex razor HDs. Nice glass but not in my price range:http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-razor-hd-10x50-binocular

EricF517
12-06-2014, 11:11 PM
I am have the 20-60 Razor and it is fantastic glass.

10x25mm
12-08-2014, 04:53 PM
Northrup Grumman / Fujinon ('Kamatech' joint venture) 7x50mm individual focus, rubber armored binoculars work for me. Put the Killflash 'sunshades' on them after I had trouble looking into clear sunrises. Still looking for instructions on using the M22 reticle, but it seems to be calibrated in mils.

Advantages: Killflash sunshades available, easy to use, good crisp images, totally waterproof, well collimated, rugged, and modestly priced.

Disadvantages: heavier than the small objective binoculars (butnot comparable roof prisms), larger as well (not pocketable)

tenthumbs
12-15-2014, 11:59 AM
Well there in lies the problem with looking long range. I run a 6-24 power optic on the rifle, so it usually isn't the problem.

Part of the issue will come up with how far are you looking, and what is the budget you would consider?

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-razor-hd-11-33x50-straight-spotting-scope

Please clarify your first paragraph. It almost sounds like you use your rifle scope for spotting.

I don't think that is the case but it is a bit confusing.

EricF517
12-16-2014, 12:24 PM
Yes I will use it depending on where I am. It can split the difference between bino's and the spotting scope. Oh and I don't have to pick anything up or put it down to shoot.

tenthumbs
12-16-2014, 03:22 PM
Yes I will use it depending on where I am. It can split the difference between bino's and the spotting scope. Oh and I don't have to pick anything up or put it down to shoot.

What if that object that you can't quite identify with your binoculars turns out to be another hunter?

That would tend to make me nervous if I saw you pointing your scope and by extension your Rifle at me.

How would anyone know your intentions? It's both thoughtless and careless!

I hope you reconsider this practice. This is something we hammer home to our students in our Hunter Education class.

EricF517
12-16-2014, 05:38 PM
What if that object that you can't quite identify with your binoculars turns out to be another hunter?

That would tend to make me nervous if I saw you pointing your scope and by extension your Rifle at me.

How would anyone know your intentions? It's both thoughtless and careless!

I hope you reconsider this practice. This is something we hammer home to our students in our Hunter Education class.

Where I hunt I don't have to worry about that. Hence why I do.

Dsully
12-16-2014, 07:05 PM
My wife doesn't know but she got me some Steiner Military R Tactical Binoculars 10x50mm with U.S. Army M-22 Reticle. Can't use it until Christmas. :/

10x25mm
12-17-2014, 04:31 AM
My wife doesn't know but she got me some Steiner Military R Tactical Binoculars 10x50mm with U.S. Army M-22 Reticle. Can't use it until Christmas. :/

You can get a free digital copy of the US Army technical manual for the 7x50mm Steiners with the M22 reticle, TM 9-1240-403-12&P, here:

http://www.schaper.net/binoculars/steiner/m22/

Finally figured out that the M22 reticle is exactly 10 times mil dot.

Dsully
12-17-2014, 07:11 AM
You can get a free digital copy of the US Army technical manual for the 7x50mm Steiners with the M22 reticle, TM 9-1240-403-12&P, here:

http://www.schaper.net/binoculars/steiner/m22/

Finally figured out that the M22 reticle is exactly 10 times mil dot.
Thanks man!

EricF517
12-17-2014, 01:40 PM
Sully, now what are you going to do with those?

Dsully
12-17-2014, 02:25 PM
Sully, now what are you going to do with those?

I got this hot neighbor

EricF517
12-17-2014, 02:27 PM
I got this hot neighbor

Well.......

LOL when are you going out shooting again?

Dsully
12-17-2014, 02:45 PM
Well.......

LOL when are you going out shooting again?

Probably soon. I have a guy that's going to upgrade my range for me. 25yard x 50yard gravel pit with backstop. The binos are actually for some new ideas I got for the range. I find that I use those little vortex binoculars more then my spotting scope. Figured I could use some nicer ones with range finding capabilities. Are you back in MI?

EricF517
12-17-2014, 03:04 PM
Yep been back for a little over a month now.

Redbeard
12-18-2014, 07:27 PM
I got a pair of Meopta 10x42. Awesome glass,very clear.

Mannlicher
12-20-2014, 01:26 PM
Vanguard Endeavor II 8X32 owner here. The Endeavor II's are incredibly sharp with the glass from Hoya. Love the open bridge design and the build quality is top notch. This line has been getting some rave reviews on some birdwatching forums. BH Photo has had this model for $350 with expedited shipping from time to time.

JGant
12-22-2014, 10:26 PM
Steiner 10x50.....awesome glass..
well worth the $$$$$

Browning Guy
01-10-2015, 10:48 AM
I too use a Vanguard 8X32. I don't remember the exact model right now (not at home) but I really like them. They provide good brightness and clarity, and are sturdily built. I've had them about 4 years now. I have found a good pair of binoculars a great help over the years. Helps spot and identify game, especially at dawn and dusk. Identifies those "what's that" items that usually turn into a grass clump or blowing leaves instead of a deer's ear, and mostly for peeking through brush and thickets which look like a "wall" to the naked eye but easy to see through with glass. I find I use mine at "close up" (inside 100-150 yds) range as much or more than I do "way out yonder".

chosos
01-16-2015, 08:51 AM
I have a set of Bushnell Elite Ultra HD Binoculars with Rainguard.

I have some fairly high dollar scopes now, and having been so impressed with the clarity/quality on one of my lower cost Bushnell Elite 4200HD Rainguard scopes - I figured I'd take a gamble with the binoculars when I saw them on sale for like 75% off at Jay's.

Let me tell ya... with the glass on these and the Rainguard coating, these are my go-to set.

http://www.bushnell.com/all-products/binoculars/legend-ultra-hd/10x-42mm
http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Legend-Ultra-Prism-Binocular/dp/B002008RVC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421415714&sr=8-1&keywords=bushnell+ultra+hd+10x42

For the price, I feel like there is a lot of bang for buck. They are crystal clear, and the Rainguard coating makes using them in Michigan's 4 seasons a non-issue. So far, I've been pretty impressed with Bushnell Elite line products.

efw
03-31-2015, 04:12 PM
I scoured a pair of 8x 42mm Vortex Talon HDs this past fall just in time for deer season. I took them down to Texas in January w/ my son and in all that brown they were are excellent. Taking them out to Wyoming for pronghorn antelope and to backpack/scout a mule deer unit in Western SD this fall. I'm sure they'll be fantastic. An amazing value to be sure.

Our host in Texas had Swaro 8x42s he let me compare and considering they run approx 10x the cost the Vortexes were EXCELLENT; at last light there was a noticeable difference in color rendition but not by a factor of 10! We certainly do live in the golden age of optics!

Using a riflescope the way one does binoculars is a violation of the first rule of gun safety (muzzle direction) and should NEVER be done under ANY circumstances. You will, by nature of the practice, be pointing your firearm at things you ought not, no matter how "safe" you feel about the absence of others.

mcso
04-04-2015, 11:53 PM
Probably the best education I received regarding binoculars which transfers to scopes was an article by Chuck Hawks. I would recommend reading it. Covers a lot of areas of concern. I have found the article true when looking at options in binoculars. I've been very happy with my Nikon Monarch 10x42 atb. I have a bow hunting partner that loves his Higher end (fully coated optics) Bushnells in the same power. Both are straight tube or roof prism design.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/binocular_basics.htm

Lynn
04-20-2015, 08:50 PM
Birders seem to know the most about glass. We use Ziess and Lecia for our watching. The best (IMHO) written material regarding the topic is set forth by Cornell Ornithology magazine. Beat the heck out of the other evaluations.

Ol` Joe
04-21-2015, 07:00 AM
Birders seem to know the most about glass. We use Ziess and Lecia for our watching. The best (IMHO) written material regarding the topic is set forth by Cornell Ornithology magazine. Beat the heck out of the other evaluations.

This!

Birds place some very heavy demands on optics and their glass needs to perform to differentiate the colors and marking on their small targets to help properly identify them at distance. The bird watcher web sites offer lots of advice on spotting scopes and binoculars.

longrangeshooter
07-25-2015, 05:44 AM
Swarovski 8X30 and Leica 10X40 Can't beat either.