PDA

View Full Version : Revolver Cleaning?

Detroit Tackleberry
10-25-2008, 01:04 AM
Hey Guys!

I am a semi-auto kind of guy! I always have been until recently. I bought an airweight a couple years back for a pocket pistol. But until recently I preffered a semi over a revolver anyday. But now to the point of the thread. I want to know the best method of cleaning a revolver cylinder?
You know what I mean the forward portion of the cylinder always gets the most fillthy. And so much so some of the residue can't be removed it seems.
And I know there is a way to get this mess off all the way I just son't have any luck. My airweight has powder rings around al the chambers I've scrubber soaked just about everything I can think of. So I need an expert opinion tell me what I can do to get it clean or which product i need to buy whatever it takes.......Thanx in advanced

RifleGuy
10-25-2008, 03:13 AM
Flitz, or a similar metal polish, lightly applied and gently worked, will remove the powder rings from the cylinder. I've used Flitz with a medium grade toothbrush to great effect, and in a pinch even mixed a bit of Bon Ami (kitchen cleaner, similar to Bar Keepers Friend and guaranteed too NOT scratch...) with a couple drops of Kroil to make a polishing paste.

But again I stress, GENTLY!!

Good luck!

Detroit Tackleberry
10-25-2008, 04:01 AM
Thanx Rifleguy!

Flitz, or a similar metal polish, lightly applied and gently worked, will remove the powder rings from the cylinder. I've used Flitz with a medium grade toothbrush to great effect, and in a pinch even mixed a bit of Bon Ami (kitchen cleaner, similar to Bar Keepers Friend and gauranteed too NOT scratch...) with a couple drops of Kroil to make a polishing paste.

But again I stress, GENTLY!!

Good luck!

TAC
10-25-2008, 01:07 PM
If your Airweight is the stainless/aluminum color, be careful with the aluminum frame. S&W is now coating them with a matte clear coat finish that can be scratched, chipped, or worn off.

dtech99
10-26-2008, 07:27 AM
Lewis Lead Remover Kit, best tool for cleaning revolvers.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=21587&title=LEWIS%20LEAD%20REMOVER

RifleGuy
10-26-2008, 07:39 AM
Lewis Lead Remover Kit, best tool for cleaning revolvers.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=21587&title=LEWIS%20LEAD%20REMOVER
You know, I've seen these things for years, read nothing but high praises, and somehow I've yet to buy one.
I think that is going to be the priority purchase this coming week; I've go a revolver with significant leading; no time like the present to give the Lewis tool a try!

dukers65
10-29-2008, 06:16 AM
there's two ways to go here,
1. take a case cut grooves into the the top of the case, drill out the flash hole to accept a self tapping screw, then dampen the cylinder with solvent
and run the case into the cylinder turning it till the case is seated into the cylinder. follow with a couple patches.

2. wrap your brush with strands of copper cleaning pad found at your local supermarket,dip in solvent run brush thru cylinder 10 times follow with patches til they come out clean.

hope one of these work for you ,they do for me dan.

Detroit Tackleberry
10-30-2008, 05:04 AM
Thanks for all the advise I appreciate your responces........