PDA

View Full Version : Scope sun glare

32_d3gr33s
12-12-2014, 04:14 PM
I have a bushnell 6-24x40 scope on my rifle. Was out testing some bullets in it right at noon. Shooting it almost directly into the sun, I had a bad glare. I'm not too knowledgable about scopes but do they make universal sun shades for scopes. Would a sun shade even make a difference? Or is there some sort of trick I can do to reduce glare?

crankythunder
12-12-2014, 05:26 PM
Dear 32:

Go to optics planet and see if they have a 4 or a 6 inch sunshade for the bushnell scope you have. They are not interchangeable between scope makers. Let me rephrase that, you might find some interchangeability but there are no cross reference data websites that I am aware of. If you go to a benchrest match, you will find a number of leupold, sightron, and weaver 40mm sunshades and you might be able to see if they will let you borrow theirs to see if it will fit. If you were in the Lansing areal, I would invite you over to see if the leupold I have would fit.

regards,
Crankster

10x25mm
12-12-2014, 07:34 PM
Option B is the 'Killflash' ARD (Anti Reflection Device), a blackened aluminum honeycomb filter made by the Tenebraex subsidiary of Armament Technology, Inc.:

http://www.armament.com/tenebraex

Killflash ARDs are available for most of the military issue binoculars and scopes, as well as many civilian optics. so you may be able to adapt an existing Killflash to your scope. The typical Killflash is the equivalent of a 12 inch sunshade, but much more convenient and rugged.

32_d3gr33s
12-13-2014, 12:18 AM
thanks for the input. I dont see anything for my model scope. Looks like ill just have to try and see if something may be able to adapt to my scope.

crankythunder
12-13-2014, 08:47 AM
Dear 32:

Us benchrest shooters like to have something that deflects the heat from the barrel from getting into the sight line of the scope. I like to use the cardboard rolls that come inside rolls of wrapping paper. It seams as if there is a secondary competition going on to have the rattiest type of heat deflector on the line sometimes. For a while I had a thin plastic tube, about two inches in diameter, 18 inches long zip tied to the front of my scope that was lightweight, somewhat durable, and deflected the heat. I think it might have been a fluorescent light protector but not sure. Not sure if this suggestion helps or gets your creative juices flowing but you might be able to get the lightweight plastic tubes at hobby lobby or other craft stores.

Regards,
Crankster

sbowhuntr
12-13-2014, 02:27 PM
take a look at the Dvorak soft shades, they work well and are all over the net... Natchez shooters supply has them as does optics planet.. Dvorak Soft Shades

Will not transmit stress to scope if accidentally bumped.
- Reduces heat shimmer for improved accuracy.
- Eliminates unwanted reflection from the optics.
- Reduces sun glare for improved target definition.

DarksideSix
12-15-2014, 01:15 PM
get a sunshade for you particular scope. that is the most cost effective way to handle it.