PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint PRO vs. Eotech 512

jonnyc76
12-28-2014, 03:31 PM
Can anyone who has used either the Aimpoint PRO or the Eotech 512 give me some feed back on these? I'm looking into buying either one for my AR which has the A2 front sight. I want to be able to still use my iron sights.

smac61
12-28-2014, 03:34 PM
I have both. While I prefer the EoTech reticle, I count on the PRO for my "go to" rifle. I've been very tempted to try one of the newer EoTechs, like the exps 2-0, to see if I can have the best of both worlds (battery life aside, as you'll NEVER get Aimpoint battery life out of an EoTech)

MI-1911
12-28-2014, 03:46 PM
I prefer the EOTech. I think it gives you a wider field of view, with less obstruction from the sight itself. The 512 claims 1,000 hours on regular alkaline batteries, at normal setting. I can live with that.

jonnyc76
12-28-2014, 04:12 PM
I have both. While I prefer the EoTech reticle, I count on the PRO for my "go to" rifle. I've been very tempted to try one of the newer EoTechs, like the exps 2-0, to see if I can have the best of both worlds (battery life aside, as you'll NEVER get Aimpoint battery life out of an EoTech)

Is the co witness better with the PRO or the 512?

Super Trucker
12-28-2014, 04:27 PM
I bought the aimpoint pro because of the battery life, I have been disappointed with the sight though. It has 3 or 4 useable brightness settings and all of them have a red halo inside the sight. I emailed aimpoint describing the issue and this is the reply I received.

Hi,

Its right that everybody do not see the dot in the 1-4th click.

If you go in to a dark room (really black) and you turn the click to pos 3-4 you will see the dot.

Regarding the reflection, yes in some light there can be a bigger reflections.

We recommend allmost everyone to always have it at the click nr: 6-8.

But if the reflection disturb you shooting, I recommend you to send your sight to our service center in Gällivare, Sweden.

Aimpoint Sweden

Företagscentrum

982 38 Gällivare

Repair cost (fix cost, no matter what kind of repair has to be done): 77 EURO + freight.

Please provide a copy of the purchase receipt.

Also please provide a written problem description and a return address with phone number.

You will receive an invoice with a 30 day payment term.

Best Regards

Helpdesk

Aimpoint AB

Keep in mind this was on a brand new product.
I won't buy another aimpoint pro, I might try a better unit but not this one again.

I will be trying an EoTech on a different rifle later this year, but have only used other peoples and have never owned one yet.

smac61
12-29-2014, 01:22 AM
Is the co witness better with the PRO or the 512?

They're both set up for "true" co witness, which I prefer. I run folding rear / fixed A2 front sights. Seeing as I do not look "through" them, or attempt to use my irons when the optic is on, I find no difference in them with respect to co witness.

If you run a fixed rear, run your BUIS up, attempt to use irons with the sight on, or have a tendency to look through your RDS (a practice I recommend one change rikki tic) YMMV...

Flash-hider
01-03-2015, 09:09 PM
A month or so ago I began my quest for an optic on my AR. Like you I was looking at both the Aimpoint or EOTech. So I did some hands on research. My preference starting this was the EOTech either the 512 or the 552, depending if the extra dollars for NV was necessary. To my disappointment my eyes could not acclimate to the Halo. It resembled looking through the middle of the sun with a ring of fire on the outer edges. The effect dominated my FOV. I looked at the PRO and felt it was a nice optic but that the Vortex Strikefire was just as equal for less money. I did settle on the Aimpoint CompM3. For me the price difference between the PRO and the M3 wasn't significant enough.

rf1490
01-03-2015, 10:16 PM
I have heard of the 512 failing by many people. Have used them though and like the 512 halo with the 1moa dot better. Never heard anything bad of the aimpoint

MJ0865
01-03-2015, 10:25 PM
I have the Aimpoint PRO and it's a good sight. The EOTech does have a smaller 1 MOA dot and uses AA batteries. VS the PRO with a 2 MOA dot and a 1/3n battery.
They should both cowitness about the same, the EOTech might have better field of view because its square shape and not a tube.
MidwayUSA has the 512 on sale for 399 & free shipping (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1868453878/eotech-512-holographic-weapon-sight-65-moa-circle-with-1-moa-dot-reticle-aa-battery)
You can get the PRO from PSA for 369.99 (http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/aimpoint-patrol-rifle-optic.html) if you use the coupon code "PRO" during checkout.

MI-1911
01-03-2015, 10:31 PM
I have heard of the 512 failing by many people. Have used them though and like the 512 halo with the 1moa dot better. Never heard anything bad of the aimpoint

To be honest, the only person I've heard that was critical of EOTech's durability was Steve Fisher (aka; RSF). That being said, I think Steve could break a M1 Abrams Tank!

:hide:

MI-1911
01-03-2015, 10:36 PM
I have the Aimpoint PRO and it's a good sight. The EOTech does have a smaller 1 MOA dot and uses AA batteries. VS the PRO with a 2 MOA dot and a 1/3n battery.

Those 1/3n are expensive, and don't last too long. The newest EOTech's use the common CR123 Lithium battery, common to tactical flashlights.

Here is their complete lineup!
http://www.eotechinc.com/holographic-weapon-sights

chopper48185
01-04-2015, 11:30 AM
I gotta say, I love my Eotech! I had a 512, now I have a XPS3. I like their reticle much better. It seems as if the outer ring funnels the eye to the focal point. I went from a ACOG to Eotech and I've never regretted it. Made in Ann Arbor, MI. too!

DrScaryGuy
01-04-2015, 04:39 PM
I gotta say, I love my Eotech! I had a 512, now I have a XPS3. I like their reticle much better. It seems as if the outer ring funnels the eye to the focal point. I went from a ACOG to Eotech and I've never regretted it. Made in Ann Arbor, MI. too!

I've got 2 EXPS3-n sights with 3x flip tubes,and yes I like them, but they're heavy. I've been trying to get myself to buy an aimpoint for a while now just to compare. I've got to decide what optic to put on my AR SBR now. I'm thinking to move the eotech from my cx4, and then put a red dot back on the cx4, or maybe my docter optic... I can't make decisions like this will.
OR I could juts buy the aimpoint and leave everything else as it is...

rf1490
01-04-2015, 05:55 PM
Ive heard guys talk about their batteries getting corroded in the eotech, But have never personally seen it. Thats the only problem ive heard of them.