PDA

View Full Version : POLL: Would a Concealed Carrier Have Made a Difference in Paris Terror Attacks?

Smokepole
01-08-2015, 09:40 AM
POLL: Would a Concealed Carrier Have Made a Difference in Paris Terror Attacks? (http://gunssavelives.net/polls/poll-would-a-concealed-carrier-have-made-a-difference-in-paris-terror-attacks/?utm_source=Guns+Save+Lives+Daily+Mailing+List&utm_campaign=5aeac142e6-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_eaeaa815c4-5aeac142e6-65817721)

Would a single concealed carrier have made a difference against multiple, organized attackers armed with long guns and possibly even armor (they don’t appear to be wearing plate carriers, but could easily be wearing kevlar)?

Vote Here (http://gunssavelives.net/polls/poll-would-a-concealed-carrier-have-made-a-difference-in-paris-terror-attacks/?utm_source=Guns+Save+Lives+Daily+Mailing+List&utm_campaign=5aeac142e6-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_eaeaa815c4-5aeac142e6-65817721)

MI-1911
01-08-2015, 11:31 AM
Doubtful.

Ruger
01-08-2015, 11:37 AM
I voted yes as did almost 60% of the people polled as of this minute.

Draken
01-08-2015, 11:38 AM
Maybe....would a seat belt save your life in a bad accident? Maybe.

upgunowner
01-08-2015, 11:46 AM
France does not allow concealed carriers.

MI-1911
01-08-2015, 11:48 AM
I voted yes as did almost 60% of the people polled as of this minute.

I voted yes for the "cause", but it's still doubtful.

DV8r
01-08-2015, 01:38 PM
No, but an Open Carrier may have. :lipseal:

:hide:

hunterspirit
01-08-2015, 02:14 PM
There would be an extra person dead

Garbo
01-08-2015, 02:30 PM
I can tell you right now unless I'm cornered I'm getting the hell outta there. My handgun vs what they have. Chances are not very good. But like I said if I'm cornered I'm pulling a Kurt Russel (in Wyat Earp) and likely kissing my butt good bye hoping I maybe take one with me.

Roundballer
01-08-2015, 03:13 PM
Would a single concealed carrier have made a difference against multiple, organized attackers armed with long guns and possibly even armor (they don’t appear to be wearing plate carriers, but could easily be wearing kevlar)?
There are way to many variables to make much of an analysis of possible out comes.

First, the imagined concealed carrier:

What is his/her training level?
Is this person a competent shot at the ranges presented?
Does this person have the ability to retain focus during a stressful situation?
Does this person develop the "tunnel vision" that many would?
What was his/her choice of firearm and load? I doubt a .22LR would be of much use.
Was this person aware enough of the surroundings to see it coming down before the shooting started?
Was cover available, could he get to cover?

The attackers:

How organized are they, was this trained for or just coordinated for an attack at a place and time?
Exactly how many attackers are there?
How good of armor are they wearing. how complete is the covering?
Are these men trained like soldiers, or are they expecting no resistance?
Would these guys break off and flee if fired upon?
Would they continue the fight and turn upon the resistance?

We really don't know any of this. How can you make a reasonable conclusion? Pointless poll.

tenthumbs
01-08-2015, 04:43 PM
No, but an Open Carrier may have. :lipseal:

:hide:

The cop wasn't even open carrying.He wasn't carrying at all.

If the guy with the camera had a rifle instead he could have made a difference..after the killings though, as they appear to be on their way out.

esq_stu
01-09-2015, 12:25 PM
There would be an extra person dead . . . and if people carried guns it would be like the old west and people would be dying in the streets.

sheesh

langenc
01-10-2015, 10:49 AM
There would be an extra person dead

I say yes if and excellent shot. He would now be dead for sure-successful or not.

LON CHI
01-10-2015, 10:55 AM
I agree, there are many factors that one has to take into account.

7.62 Nato
01-10-2015, 02:53 PM
Phillip Gain • 3 days ago

Handguns against long guns is a bad bet.

One handgun against many long guns is a worse bet.

But NO GUNS against long guns is the worst bet of all.

Ricebrnr
01-10-2015, 03:21 PM
On July 25, 1993, The Church of St. James in Cape Town, South Africa, becomes the target of a massacre by four members of the Azanian People’s Liberation Army. Wielding fully automatic military AR’s and lobbing hand grenades, the terrorists kill 11 helpless victims and wound 58. However, among the intended victims is missionary Charl van Wyk. He always carried a 5-shot, snub-nose .38 Special revolver … and now, he deploys it. His return fire wounds one of the attackers, and all of them break off the assault and flee the scene. Against all odds, his snub-nose .38 has turned the tide of battle against four killers with explosives and machine guns.

http://americanhandgunner.com/the-false-hope-of-gun-free-zones/

revho
01-10-2015, 08:45 PM
As stated earlier, a hundgun vs 2 AK-47. No. Multiple people carrying handguns vs 2 Ak-47, that may or may not have a better outcome. Those guys were on a planned strike...

Pond Scum
01-11-2015, 09:38 AM
I think there is a decent chance an armed bystander would make a positive impact. As a minimum he/she would divert attention from the mission and maybe throw the BG's off balance and get them to break off early. Maybe you could take one or both out of the fight .... but even if you can just wound one of the BG's it will change the outcome and their flight and ability to carry out more killing.

cmike
01-11-2015, 08:21 PM
Let me change around the question.

If you were in that synagogue at that time, would you prefer to be armed or unarmed?

bolonytony24
01-11-2015, 08:42 PM
would "A" CC'er i say possibly .
if the questions was "several" CC'ers i would say your F N A rite it would.

westcliffe01
01-11-2015, 09:39 PM
These kinds of attackers are never expecting their victims to shoot back. Generally, they have no idea of marksmanship. Its just point blank killing. A single person may not be able to take down both shooters, but has a good chance of getting one of them. If you kill one of them, it is a lot less likely the balance of the attack would be pressed home. Sometimes, being a man means you may not get to go home. But others might live another day because of you. It is a situation many in the armed forces face and sometimes faced by law enforcement also.

Watched the Kenyan mall shooting last night and it was just sickening how all those defenseless people only had the option of running and trying to hide, only to be shot (together with their children / wives) at point blank range by 4 somali killers. The majority of people who did get rescued, were rescued by vigilantes prior to either the police swat team or the military making their entry. When the military and police did enter, they shot at each other and one police officer was killed. Finally the military bombed the mall which completely destroyed it and the 4 perps were killed by the resulting fire.

ATHG Tactical
01-12-2015, 12:10 PM
I have no doubt one concealed carrier would have made a difference. Made a difference is a pretty open ended question. it may have saved one or more lives or it may have cost one or more lives that was lost. The "what ifs" are endless. The only thing that can be done is prepare for the next attack. Because the only sure thing is that another attack is coming. The better trained the Concealed Carrier is the better chance we have at limiting the damage done, and making them pay a higher price.

RossGellar
01-15-2015, 07:25 PM
I have no doubt one concealed carrier would have made a difference. Made a difference is a pretty open ended question. it may have saved one or more lives or it may have cost one or more lives that was lost. The "what ifs" are endless. The only thing that can be done is prepare for the next attack. Because the only sure thing is that another attack is coming. The better trained the Concealed Carrier is the better chance we have at limiting the damage done, and making them pay a higher price.

this

DP425
01-15-2015, 07:40 PM
So many variables, there is no way to know for sure.

I think the best case situation would be someone with great accuracy in a really good concealed and covered position. The ability to take at least one out of the fight without your location being positively identified would likely put the other into retreat.

The chances such an opportunity would arise? Not very good. Anytime the enemy choses the location to fight, you're at a disadvantage

ATHG Tactical
01-19-2015, 05:50 PM
Agree!

Moorek31
02-08-2015, 04:01 PM

I couldn't agree more!

carterthal
02-16-2015, 11:01 AM
I'd say yes

C0ach_rich
02-18-2015, 10:35 AM
I think the real question should be "if concealed carry was allowed, would the attackers still attempt to do what they did?" It was an easy plan knowing they would be targeting unarmed victims. If there was the chance of 4 or 5 people being armed, the attackers odds of success drop a lot.

DP425
02-18-2015, 04:56 PM
I think the real question should be "if concealed carry was allowed, would the attackers still attempt to do what they did?" It was an easy plan knowing they would be targeting unarmed victims. If there was the chance of 4 or 5 people being armed, the attackers odds of success drop a lot.

That would be fine and dandy if they were planning a bank heist. Terrorists are generally not adverse to the idea of dying in their endeavor. Most would prefer to live so they can do it again, but they are also not that concerned about their own death. At least not enough to prevent them from an attack on a location, with AK's and an RPB, where their MAY be a couple people carrying pistols.

As I said in my last post- anytime the enemy picks the location to fight, you're already at a disadvantage. They show up with combat weapons and body armor... and you have a defensive weapon... the odds are HEAVILY stacked in the terrorist's favor. They know this.

kryl
06-12-2015, 08:47 AM
So how again did it turn out in Texas?

Draken
06-13-2015, 01:48 AM

An armed cop stopped it...which has nothing to do with what the OP was about.

7.62 Nato
06-13-2015, 10:45 AM
An armed cop stopped it...which has nothing to do with what the OP was about.

"Would a single concealed carrier have made a difference against multiple, organized attackers armed with long guns and possibly even armor (they don’t appear to be wearing plate carriers, but could easily be wearing kevlar)? "

Yeah, entirely different scenario.

kryl
06-13-2015, 09:10 PM
"Would a single concealed carrier have made a difference against multiple, organized attackers armed with long guns and possibly even armor (they don’t appear to be wearing plate carriers, but could easily be wearing kevlar)? "

Yeah, entirely different scenario.

One cop moon lighting as a security guard with a Glock .45. Was it a G21?

Certainly no ordinary CPL holder could have carried a G21 and had the same result.

Draken
06-13-2015, 09:43 PM
One cop moon lighting as a security guard with a Glock .45. Was it a G21?

Certainly no ordinary CPL holder could have carried a G21 and had the same result.

Yes, it was a Glock 21. The officer was behind them and able to take them by suprise, little different being in a open area (road way) then being in an office building that is being cleared. Could a concealed carried have made a difference? Maybe, but a lot of that would be their positioning, training level, and mindset.

Ibear1992
07-13-2015, 07:24 PM

I believe one man with a handgun took out two men with rifles and armor.

bigrin
07-20-2015, 05:12 PM
Hard to keep shooting at someone who is shooting back at you.

bigrin
07-20-2015, 05:13 PM
I believe it would have made a difference