PDA

View Full Version : Large gun safe suggestions wanted.......

Hugle
01-11-2015, 04:22 PM
In need of another safe. I've been researching the top and biggest names around the $1,000-$1,500 price range. Extensive research on door gap, door construction and bolt rigidity, fire rating, etc. I'll buy an electronic lock but only if there is a back up key option available. A dial would also do... 24-54 gun capacity and fire/water rating... Anyone have any recent purchases in southern Michigan that they were happy with so far? I'm not looking for a cheap composite door and flimsy construction. Steelworks and Winchester are on my radar. Thanks you.

jaguarxk120
01-14-2015, 02:45 PM
Have you thought about a safe room, a room that is secure and hidden?

Walther
01-17-2015, 11:22 AM
I have the 24 gun Winchester available from TS for $600 when it's on sale. Excellent safe, features above the competition in it's price range. 12 1-1/4" bolts instead of 6 or 8 1". The lock is electronic and carries an excellent warranty. The safe has a relocker, which means the combination is stored inside the safe, not the keypad. You can change the keypad and your old code still works. Comes with the door liner, a $100 or so option on other safes. Fire/water rated. No keyed access, there's not a credible safe on the market that will offer one. Key locks can be picked or vibrated easily. You may find some cheap steel cabinets with a key backup, but not a good safe.

I also have a Liberty 12 gun. It has a standard mechanical combination dial. When I first bought the Winchester I didn't care that much for the electronic lock, now I prefer it. A 9V battery lasted 2 years and it still wasn't dead, I changed it just because.