PDA

View Full Version : State Sen. Mike Green drafting new 'pro-gun' bills following governor's veto

Smokepole
01-17-2015, 04:45 PM
State Sen. Mike Green drafting new 'pro-gun' bills following governor's veto (http://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/index.ssf/2015/01/gov_snyder_signs_pro-gun_conce.html)

Mark Tower
MLive
January 17th, 2015

http://media.mlive.com/news/baycity_impact/photo/15972739-small.jpg
State Sen. Mike Green
R-Mayville

Green, noting that he was "pretty disappointed" in the veto, said his office has already been drafting new bills to reintroduce this session because he was not sure what the governor was going to do.

When introducing the bills, Green pointed out that Michigan is the only state (http://www.mlive.com/news/bay-city/index.ssf/2014/02/michigan_state_sen_mike_green.html) still using local gun boards to issue concealed weapons licenses.

"It is obsolete and needs to change," he said. "In an era of modern technology and record-keeping, we can do better and folks deserve better for their hard-earned dollars."

DEVIL DOG
01-17-2015, 05:25 PM
I'd like to see a CLEAN bill that simply says, " A bill to allow the carry of a firearm anywhere in the State".

PERIOD. NO EXCEPTIONS, NO EXEMPTIONS.

If I can pass the background check & get a CPL, there should be no reason why there should be PFZ's.

Now I know this won't happen. But a guy can wish can't he?

luckless
01-17-2015, 06:09 PM
Someone please tell Charlie Brown that Lucy just isn't going to hold that ball.

Really, I wonder if it isn't something personal. I don't think the governor likes him very much. This bill did nothing good and Snyder STILL vetoed it. He didn't even have the courtesy to just let it die. He made sure that Bloomburg got a chance to get his licks in, too. I wonder if he is having second thoughts about that Green-Snyder tax hike.

45/70fan
01-17-2015, 08:45 PM
Maybe we can go back to the original concealed weapon law passed in 1937 and just change the wording from may issue to shall issue. That piece of legislation was acceptable for 70 years. That law had no restrictions, limitation on where you could carry or what you could carry, plus the price was a whopping $25.00.

ninjatoth
01-17-2015, 08:58 PM
When you as lawmakers have people who may legally own registered handguns(and rightfully so), yet have certain clauses in cpl law that disqualifies the very same people from obtaining a cpl even if they wanted one, than you know you got some out of whack laws.

SADAacp
01-18-2015, 03:58 AM
I'd like to see a CLEAN bill that simply says, " A bill to allow the carry of a firearm anywhere in the State".

PERIOD. NO EXCEPTIONS, NO EXEMPTIONS.

If I can pass the background check & get a CPL, there should be no reason why there should be PFZ's.

Now I know this won't happen. But a guy can wish can't he?

Funny isn't it, there was no PFZ's prior to shall issue for folks with a license to carry a concealed weapon from this state or another state. We need to be careful though, the mere citizenry being able to legally carry in those otherwise PFZ"s will burst some bubbles around here.

DEVIL DOG
01-18-2015, 11:50 AM
Reality is, there are some parts of gun laws that the left will NEVER budge on. We need to recognize what these items are, & concentrate on the stuff we can agree on. At least for now. Clean bills that address simple issues will go a lot farther than a 2000 page bill that no one understands. Keep it simple---baby steps forward are better than taking steps backward or staying in place.

G22
01-18-2015, 12:42 PM
Maybe we can go back to the original concealed weapon law passed in 1937 and just change the wording from may issue to shall issue. That piece of legislation was acceptable for 70 years. That law had no restrictions, limitation on where you could carry or what you could carry, plus the price was a whopping $25.00.

^This

The guy's heart is in the right place, but trying to pass anything other than a single issue bill is obviously getting us nowhere.

partdeux
01-18-2015, 01:48 PM
Snyder said he wasn't going to approve any gun bills...

kbayless3
01-18-2015, 09:04 PM
Reality is, there are some parts of gun laws that the left will NEVER budge on. We need to recognize what these items are, & concentrate on the stuff we can agree on. At least for now. Clean bills that address simple issues will go a lot farther than a 2000 page bill that no one understands. Keep it simple---baby steps forward are better than taking steps backward or staying in place.

I agree Devil Dog The powerful anti-gunners out there are well organized , well-funded, and they have the media on their side. We all have to do a better job as law abiding, responsible gun owners. We need to come together as an organized group, to tell our story as passionately as the anti-gunners tell theirs. We can start by drafting clean bills that make sense by addressing the simple issues that so desperately need reform.

DEVIL DOG
01-19-2015, 05:30 PM
Additionally I want to say that I am not criticizing Sen. Green for his efforts. Right now he is THE best friend we have in Lansing.

xmanhockey7
01-20-2015, 12:27 AM
What we should be doing is getting good pro gun legislation signed. The republicans hold the majority in the legislature and we have a republican governor. The problem is Snyder is a RINO. I bet if we had a pro 2A governor we'd have PFZs and registration eliminated by now.

DP425
01-20-2015, 12:41 AM
What we should be doing is getting good pro gun legislation signed. The republicans hold the majority in the legislature and we have a republican governor. The problem is Snyder is a RINO. I bet if we had a pro 2A governor we'd have PFZs and registration eliminated by now.

I think the problem bigger than the governor is the fact that he has congressional leadership in his pocket. The problem is with a congress that doesn't have the ethics to act how the system was intended. If they did, we would get just about everything we want.