PDA

View Full Version : Help options AR style .308 scope

rugersingleshot
01-18-2015, 08:53 AM
Just ordered a new Smith M&P 10. Looking for scope and mount recommendations. Typical uses, banging steel at 200 yds. Deer hunting 300 yd. max.. The older I get, the more I appreciate magnification and clarity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bolonytony24
01-18-2015, 09:52 AM
I put a Vortex diamond 4-12x40 on my Ar10 . I used 2 piece mount on this one . Seems to be a decent scope for the money.

rjrivero
01-18-2015, 10:55 AM
I think you would be well served with a 3-18 power scope for 200-300 yard outreach. I have a Vortex PST 3-16 x 55 on my AR10 and enjoy it out to 500 yards on 8" plates. (The longest range I have access to.)

If you're looking for more clarity, the Razor Series from Vortex is very nice. You'd be hard pressed to find a better scope per dollar than the Vortex Razor series. (IMVHO). I have a 1-6 on one of my DMR type rifles, and I'm putting a 4.5-27x56 on my 300 Win Mag in the very near future.

IMVHO, Vortex is the feature for dollar front runner in optics.

rugersingleshot
01-18-2015, 03:07 PM
Did they stop making the Nikon m-308 BDC?

rjrivero
01-18-2015, 03:39 PM
Did they stop making the Nikon m-308 BDC?

i'm not a fan of the standard "drop reticles." They are usually designed for a specific load (Usually a military ball load.) I much prefer to make my own drop chart for my rifle with my preferred load. Give me Mil-Dot or a Mil Hash Reticle.

Fuel Fire Desire
01-18-2015, 04:02 PM
I have a Vortex Viper PST 1-4x in MOA on my .308, and it does very well for everything in MI (under 400 yds) with the ability to reach to 500 yds if I ever needed it to. Being in MI, I like having the cat tail to bring me down to 1x if anything pops up at or within 100 yds. At 1x there is zero fisheye, the reticle just seems to float in the air like a reflex or holographic (the red ring and center dot remind me of an eotech and can easily be shot with both eyes open if I'm feeling tacticool). The biggest selling point for me was the reticle though. I chose this over the Razor 1-6x (a MUCH better scope) just because of the reticle. Though, that's not to say the Viper is sub par. Its build quality is superb for a $500 scope.

The tube is 1 piece machined from billet, zero stop turrets (custom turrets can be machined for your load for both elevation and windage), the reticle is etched into the glass, and the glass itself is crystal clear and allows a ton of light through for a 24mm objective.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p205/fuel_fire_desirels1/firearms/183ADBF7-2133-4B47-9713-22091EBE1E63_zpsnzhbngyc.jpg

The reticle is available in MOA and MIlliradians. I chose MOA just because I can use mental math to figure distance with it.

http://www.webyshops.com/images/Vortex/VORTEX-Viper-PST-1-4x24-Rifle-Scope-TMCQ-Reticle-MOA-Capped-Turrets-PST-43111-Pic4.jpg

It may not have a ton of magnification, but for the 20-300 yard shots typically taken in MI it works just fine for me.

bolonytony24
01-18-2015, 05:46 PM
I have the viper pst 1-4x24 on my 556 and it is very nice.

rugersingleshot
01-23-2015, 07:40 PM
Thx everyone, Midway has shipped the scope, PSA shipped the gun, Brownwells supplying mags and a soft case and Freedom shipped the rounds.

scottzcamaro
02-21-2015, 09:10 PM
Good info here, I am looking for a optic for my PTR91 .308 myself. I like that Vortex Viper PST 1-4x for sure!

rugersingleshot
02-21-2015, 11:08 PM
I went with the Swarovski z3 in the Burris mount. Will give a range report next weekend.

EricF517
02-25-2015, 10:47 PM
Ok with what you are looking to do it seems that the 1-4 PST would be perfect. If you are not looking to do anything precision with the optic then it will be a great way to go. You can use it for run and gun type stuff like 3 gun, or even banging steel at distance. Not to mention having the ability to have a 1x while hunting would be beneficiary. I know from experience with my patrol rifle (M&P 15) with a Burris 1-4 I had no issues tagging steel at 500y (16x16) with 55g TAP.

My only suggestion is that you get the FFP version. You will thank me later. To be honest I don't know why optic manufacturers even make SFP optics anymore, outside of long range FClass and Benchrest.

Fuel Fire Desire
02-25-2015, 11:10 PM
Ok with what you are looking to do it seems that the 1-4 PST would be perfect. If you are not looking to do anything precision with the optic then it will be a great way to go. You can use it for run and gun type stuff like 3 gun, or even banging steel at distance. Not to mention having the ability to have a 1x while hunting would be beneficiary. I know from experience with my patrol rifle (M&P 15) with a Burris 1-4 I had no issues tagging steel at 500y (16x16) with 55g TAP.

My only suggestion is that you get the FFP version. You will thank me later. To be honest I don't know why optic manufacturers even make SFP optics anymore, outside of long range FClass and Benchrest.

They offer a 1-4 pst in FFP now? God.....Id spend the $500 again just to get that feature if they do. They didn't when I ordered mine.

scottzcamaro
02-28-2015, 11:57 AM
Ok so I am about to pull the trigger on an "Vortex Viper PST Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 1-4x 24mm 1/2 MOA Adjustments Illuminated TMCQ Reticle Matte with Target Turrets" for my PTR91 308, I am just wondering which rings and vortex accessories do you guys recommend? I see there is a few different ring options and a few accessories.

rjrivero
02-28-2015, 09:25 PM
Ok so I am about to pull the trigger on an "Vortex Viper PST Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 1-4x 24mm 1/2 MOA Adjustments Illuminated TMCQ Reticle Matte with Target Turrets" for my PTR91 308, I am just wondering which rings and vortex accessories do you guys recommend? I see there is a few different ring options and a few accessories.

Why MOA? I prefer Milliradians, but to each their own.

Does your PTR have an adjustable comb?

I would put on their lowest set of rings (which are medium height from Seekins Precision with the Vortex logo on them) and I would put a Switchview Lever on it. If you think you might use it on an AR platform or have the adjustable height comb, you might be better off with the 2" offset mount. They are in the middle of switching manufacturers for their offset qd mounts, but in the past they were American Defense. Pretty good stuff.

Fuel Fire Desire
03-04-2015, 01:06 AM
Why MOA? I prefer Milliradians, but to each their own.

This is why I did it....

(target size in inches)
___________________ X 100 = Distance to target in yards

(target size in MOA)

compared to....

(target size in inches)
__________________ X 27.8 = Distance to target in yards

(target size in MILs)

I can range find in yards using mental math using MOA, while I need a calculator for MILs.

scottzcamaro
03-04-2015, 06:17 PM
This is why I did it....

(target size in inches)
___________________ X 100 = Distance to target in yards

(target size in MOA)

compared to....

(target size in inches)
__________________ X 27.8 = Distance to target in yards

(target size in MILs)

I can range find in yards using mental math using MOA, while I need a calculator for MILs.

What rings and accessories did you get with you Optic if you don't mind me asking?

Fuel Fire Desire
03-04-2015, 10:52 PM
I have the switchview lever on it, and I just flat lucked out on Warne steel rings.

I was VERY close to buying a LaRue mount (possibly having one MADE for me...I had a drafting of dimensions ready to submit). The problem with most modern "tactical" optic mounts, is that they're designed for AR's. The SA58 (FAL) was designed to be shot with open sights, so the comb sits very low in relation to the rail. The rail sits about eye level with a good cheek weld on the standard stock. I needed the scope (with switch view lever attached) to be almost touching the rail for any kind of decent check weld to work. I was working for a large FFL at the time, and even having access to a multitude of mounts I still couldn't find one that would get the scope low enough without interference. The Warne steel rings just happened to be a perfect fit.

No, they aren't 1 piece or QD like I wanted (I wanted to be able to go back and forth between the PST and my Trijicon RX30), but they saved me about $400 on a custom cut mount, so Im just living with it. The PST works just fine as a BAC scope anyway, so the ability to switch between it and the RX30 became a moot point.

LongAction
03-05-2015, 06:39 PM
A.R.M.S. #22M rings