PDA

View Full Version : Drilling of Sportsman Steel gun safe? HELP!!!

Corvettehunter1
01-25-2015, 09:35 AM
I have a sportsman's steel gun safe and the electronic keypad has failed. It's 22 years old and I haven't been able to find a replacement keypad that will plug in. It's a lagard lock. Anyone know of someone who can drill this so I can get into it? I am in the stockbridge/Chelsea area. I don't want to destroy the safe but may have no choice. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you.

M.Schmitz87
01-25-2015, 09:37 AM
Have you tried calling the manufacturer? They should know what pads are compatible.

Corvettehunter1
01-25-2015, 09:44 AM
Its too old. Sportsman's steel doesn't have parts. Lagard doesn't have the part...trying eBay sellers to find the old keypad to plug in so I can open and update lock. I bought the safe used. Too old for a warranty anyhow... The keypads available have a 4 wire setup. Mine is an 8 wire setup w/a flat connector on the wire that goes into the safe.

Armed Fitter
01-25-2015, 01:45 PM
Google METABO, I've been in this position with my safe, these cut anything.. fast

MI-1911
01-25-2015, 02:22 PM
Is it a defective keypad, or are the batteries just dead? Electronic safes usually have a mechanical key-lock override.

john.41
01-25-2015, 05:10 PM
Crazy idea but, do you have a locksmith in your area?

Corvettehunter1
01-25-2015, 07:15 PM
Crazy idea but, do you have a locksmith in your area?

That's the next step. I'm getting quotes trying to find someone within 20 miles or so. Cost/benefit analysis... If it costs too much to drill/repair, will cut it open and start over....I have a month or so to decide before house gets packed up to move....

donald150
01-25-2015, 09:29 PM
Electronic safes usually have a mechanical key-lock override.

Mine doesn't but wish it did. I'm going with the old dial version next time.

Leader
01-25-2015, 10:08 PM
http://www.myhowlett.com/locksmith-services/

10x25mm
01-28-2015, 07:29 PM
Kaba Mas has taken over La Gard. You should be able to find documentation, including troubleshooting information and the wiring diagram on your lock here:

http://www.kaba-mas.com/la-gard-brand/367238/documentation.html

The combination for your La Gard lock is held in a nonvolatile memory chip mounted in the lock unit inside the safe door. A good locksmith should be able to splice your wires to an alternate keypad and open the safe with your combination. Then you can replace the entire lock. The digital and mechanical locks in Sportsmen's Steel Safes are interchangeable, so you can change over to a mechanical lock at that time. I have done this.

Cutting a safe door is difficult and will almost certainly ruin your safe.

MetalKing
01-30-2015, 09:32 PM
Whats the Model/Serial number of the safe? Also post Model/Serial numbers found on back of keypad. Pictures and safe dimensions would help.

Leader
01-31-2015, 07:11 AM
Whats the Model/Serial number of the safe? Also post Model/Serial numbers found on back of keypad. Pictures and safe dimensions would help.

Yah.... Post that on a public internet forum.....

And add your address too.

MetalKing
01-31-2015, 07:55 PM
Yah.... Post that on a public internet forum.....

And add your address too.

No bad intentions lol, his message box is full.

Corvettehunter1
02-01-2015, 08:16 PM
Old failed keypad is an 8 wire design with the batteries connected directly to keypad. Been searching without result for the same keypad. Kaba mas was of no help. They don't have any old parts. I asked kaba mas for wiring information or possible adaptor of some sort but they said no, doesn't exist. I have another lagard keypad but it's a 4 wire unit with only an emergency battery contacts on its face. No one can tell me if the newer keypad will talk to older lock. Drilling/repair starts at $350 + parts. The keypad part # is 40014-C. Made June 14, 1993. 8 wire design with RJ-45 8 pin modular connector. FWIW it a Special Forces model... I emptied my inbox... Keep those ideas coming...thanks...

Sledhead
02-01-2015, 08:25 PM
Plasma cutter.

Wyoming
02-01-2015, 08:29 PM
http://www.hoogerhydesafe.com/

Phone calls don't cost much. Might be worth it.

Corvettehunter1
02-01-2015, 08:30 PM
Any electrical engineers want to take this on? Figure out how to talk to old lock with newer keypad?

10x25mm
02-01-2015, 10:15 PM
Not an EE, but I do have some further suggestions. See if you can get a wiring diagram for the 4 wire lead keypads made today. Think you will find two power leads and two data buss leads. Then use a volt-ohm meter on your old 8 wire keypad leads to see if you can figure out what each of the 8 leads do. The 4 extra leads could be safeties, blanks, or some kind of secondary signal carriers acting as an encryption (worst possible case). Odds are you have one or more failed touch switches in the keypad and you may be able to spoof the inside lock with just a replacement keypad. Or you may have a power failure to the inside lock. Worst possible situation would be the 8 lead keypad is fully functional, suggesting internal lock failure.

You might also try a 'Go Pro' (TM) type camera on a stick to look around inside the safe door. Think there are some things you can do there if the internal lock mechanism has failed. I have a Special Forces model safe at work and you could drop by and look at how the internal unit operates and is mounted. Not something for public discussion.

srlbotanical
02-11-2016, 09:14 PM
Did you ever figure this out?

Hoogerhyde was my first thought as well, but they are over in GR. If anyone has old parts, it's them.

rdarabos
02-12-2016, 07:35 AM
I would try a safe company for Ideas like able , when I purchased my safe from pinconning they have a locksmith on site. good luck with you safe, this is the reason able talked me into buying a safe with a dial combination, this system has been around forever as long as there has been safes, very reliable system,