PDA

View Full Version : ATN X Sight HD

jonnyc76
01-28-2015, 08:27 PM
Has anyone bought or used the ATN X Sight HD? I was looking at it online and it seems cool. I just feel with all of its technology there is a lot that can go wrong.

http://www.atncorp.com/x-sight-night-vision-rifle-scope-5-18x

IraqVet1982
01-29-2015, 06:38 AM
Great concept that's poorly executed. I've owned one but got rid of it. Video quality is good, but it bounces all over the place. Also it literally kills batteries and you must use hight quality batteries on it. The one I had would turn itself back on even after I turned it off, so it went through batteries even faster. The thing weighs a ton too - which is to expect from a night scope, but if you want to use it as a dayscope it's a tad bulky. If I were to get another one, I'd probably try out the 3-12x versus the 5-18x, it's a bit much starting magnification. I'm sure they'll have the firmware ironed out after a couple of years but right now it's definitely not there. I'd recommend a dedicated night scope with a QD attachment.

IraqVet1982
03-27-2015, 10:40 AM
Just thought I'd provide an update to the X-Sight. I sold mine off, but I still get the FIRMWARE updates from ATN and it looks like they're slowing making changes to improve the user experience.

Firmware that was pushed in February included:
•Reticle now appears in recorded video;
•Digital zoom has been limited to 4x, user can remove limiter in settings;
•Compass can now self calibrate after initial user calibration;
•Improved HDMI stability;
•Bug fixes.

March Firmware upgrades included:
• Key Feature: During Smooth Zoom the reticle will no longer shift proportionately away from the center. The reticle will begin at whatever position you zero the reticle to. When zooming, the reticle will now move towards center of the screen
• Key Feature: Due to popular demand - Photo Capture has been integrated with Video Capture. You may now take photos while recording video.
Note: To properly test the usability of this change, standalone Photo Capture has been disabled
• Reticle is now displayed in recorded content
• Power through USB available (batteries needed to power on, but can be removed once an external USB power is plugged in)
• WiFi has been optimized and is more stable
• GPS temporarily disabled; no geotag, no velocity, no altitude. (Will be enabled in next firmware update)
• True magnification shown when using Smooth Zoom. User must first select lens type, i.e. 3x (for 3-12x X-Sight) or 5x (for 5-18x X-Sight)
• Added Sleep Mode to improve battery life. X-Sight will go to sleep when not used or moved. Any physical movement of the scope or button press will awaken the device
• Various bug fixes

fr3db3ar
03-28-2015, 09:56 AM
I have the 5-18 model and they are making improvements to the firmware. I believe sooner or later they'll have it all worked out it's just a matter of whether you can handle the wait times between updates. They just released version 248 yesterday and I've tested a bit. Currently the GPS and stills are turned off. You can still take stills while running video. You can now use an external source for power though the micro usb. While one has said this works all the time mine would not stay on last night during testing in night mode. The crosshair staying on screen has been fixed.

Even with all the bugs they're working through this scope on my bmag shoots 2.1" groups at 200.

I wish there was some optical zoom as digital zoom on any of my devices pretty much suck. That being said when I'm hunting I don't believe there will be any reason for me to be off the base 5x and it's clear in that setting.

fr3db3ar
04-03-2015, 07:26 PM
Update FYI. I returned my 5x because it is more like 7 or 8 x optical and just too much for the distances I normally hunt here. I have a 3x on the way.