PDA

View Full Version : Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40mm, any experience?

sca037
02-24-2015, 10:39 AM
I'm shopping the sub-$200 variable power scope market to upgrade the glass on my vintage deer rifle (1957 Colt .243), and for the money I'm currently leaning towards the Nikon Prostaff;

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-ProStaff-Black-Matte-Riflescope/dp/B004MY5L9U/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1424791628&sr=8-3&keywords=prostaff+bdc

Anyone have experience with this (lifetime warranty) unit?

Other suggestions in the same price range (needs to be a 1" tube for my rings) ???

Thanks,
Brian

sbowhuntr
02-24-2015, 10:59 AM
I have an older model Nikon Prostaff 3x9x40 on a savage .223 and love it, clear crisp images at all power ranges... I recently picked up a Vortex diamondback in 4x12x40 (same price range as the Nikon) for a 22-250 and I must say I am not impressed at all, from about 130 yards and in it seems ok at all powers but a bit blurry around the edges. Out past 130 yards or so its ok at best from 3x-8x but just darn terrible from 9x-12x, no clarity at all.. I am going to send it back to Vortex to see what they can do for me.. This is the second Vortex I have purchased, first one I sold and this one may get the boot also.. Cant go wrong with Nikon in my book..

Knockoff64
02-24-2015, 05:11 PM
I have 2 newer Prostaff's, the 3x9x40 BDC150 Rimfire and a 4x12x40 Mildot. Both have great glass, nice and clear, decent in low light.

The turret knobs are kinda cheap, but seem to adjust and hold zero fine. The focus ring can be pretty tight out of the box, it loosens up with some use.

Fine scopes for the money.

MSUICEMAN
02-25-2015, 10:57 AM
i have the 3x9 rimfire prostaff version on a 22 of mine, I really like it. In fact, I'm probably going to be getting another one to put on my 22mag (cheap bushnell got jacked up in my flood).

Bearcat989
02-25-2015, 02:08 PM
Check www.amazon.com for great prices on these....or get the 30% off coupon for Dunhams and buy there (+6% sales tax)

SlowDog
02-25-2015, 02:18 PM
Only glass I have on ALL of my rifles are Nikons. Best scope for the money. I have em on my muzzle loaders and AR's...etc...
I love my Nikons:thup::thup:

sca037
02-25-2015, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, it sounds like a good unit for the money.

I have a BDC reticle on a couple other scopes which I like, so that's what I'm leaning towards for the Prostaff.
Any feedback on the other choice- the Nikoplex reticle?

AmazonPrime has them for $1.01 off of list price (free 2-day shipping).

Natchez has refurbished ones (with only a 90 day warranty) for $120 plus shipping; http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=NK6722BR

I didn't even see them listed on Dunham's website...........

I really appreciate all the input!

Brian

Knockoff64
02-25-2015, 05:31 PM
As flat as that 243 shoots, I don't think you'll miss the BDC reticle.

hunterspirit
02-25-2015, 05:34 PM
Get the one with the lifetime warranty

sbowhuntr
02-25-2015, 06:46 PM
As flat as that 243 shoots, I don't think you'll miss the BDC reticle.

+1 to that, too much clutter for me. I prefer a standard reticle myself..

efw
03-30-2015, 04:13 PM
A good friend has these on a couple of rifles and hasn't had problems, but doesn't shoot a ton either. For the money the glass is great, though tracking is so-so. Also, I've had and know others who've had difficulties with NIKON customer service.

For about the same money you can get a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40mm w/ their simpler and (IME) more useful ballistic Plex reticle. I've nothing but great experience w/ their customer service; once I dropped the rifle and they replaced the tube at no cost, and another time they installed an elevation turret.

I think they may even have a $50 rebate running right now.

As far as the ballistic vs Plex reticle, it only matters if you shoot beyond 300 yds. I like to shoot out to 500 and would never take a shot at game beyond 300 w/o turrets or a ballistic reticle. They eliminate the guess work.

bman940
03-31-2015, 03:27 PM
I do some freelance PR/Shooting Event's for Nikon so my scope's see a lot of rounds fired under them. I haven't had any problem's in the 5 years I have been doing this or the 19 years I have been using Nikon scope's. I have the PROSTAFF 4-12 BDC on my Father In-Law's and my son's rifles. Truthfully I can't recall the last time either one of them didn't have a one shot stop and I take my father in law to KS each year to fill the freezer. Very clear,bright and great price. I'm also a big fan of the BDC reticle which allows you to dial in your rifle,scope and ammo giving you excellent longrange accuracy. I don't do any sales so I have nothing to gain. If you do decide on a PROSTAFF scope, check out this sites sponsors to see if they can help you out.
Drop me a note if you have any questions.

sca037
04-01-2015, 07:38 AM
Thanks everyone, I bought the Prostaff with the BDC and have it mounted on my rifle.

Using the bore sighter, it was just a few clicks from being perfect right out of the box.

Can't wait to get to the range and get a 100 yard zero on it.

Brian

Born_Hunter
08-09-2015, 07:58 PM
I have a few Nikon scopes. I have a pro staff on 2-7 on my slug gun and it holds great. I have a monarch gold on my t.c. and its very nice. In the same price range you could do a redfield revolution. Might have to shop to find the price but it is basically a leupold vx1 is a different box and its made in america. I just gut a 3-9x50 for a .450 bushmaster I am using in southern Michigan for deer hunting this season and it is very clear.

BuddyChryst
08-10-2015, 09:04 PM
I know you already made your purchase and I think you'll be happy with it for the cost.

I went with the Prostaff 5 3.5-14x40 mildot. The Prostaff 5 replaced the Buckmaster, which got great reviews. I was looking at the 3-9 at first, but wanted the mildot reticle because I'm terrible at judging distance and figure I can calculate it instead. Of course you have to go more magnification for the mildot to be an option.

I looked at all the scopes in the $150-$350 range and found I liked the Nikon the best. It was a close call, there were several quality optics at that price, especially the upper end. Enjoy!