PDA

View Full Version : anterless deer hunting question.

topcide
11-10-2008, 05:18 PM
i got drawn for a private anterless this year for up near cadillac.

my question is, am i also allowed to take a buck at my normal sport near gaylord in addition to the doe on private land? or am i held what ever one i shoot first? the trapping guide is a bit tough to decipher.

huntmeister
11-10-2008, 05:36 PM
did you buy a regular firearms deer license or the COMBO deer license?

your antlerless tag is good for one antlerless deer.

your firearm deer license is good for one antlered deer, read the license that you got it should tell you right on it.

COMBO deer license is another explaination.

who dat
11-10-2008, 05:40 PM
did you buy a regular firearms deer license or the COMBO deer license?

your antlerless tag is good for one antlerless deer.

your firearm deer license is good for one antlered deer, read the license that you got it should tell you right on it.

COMBO deer license is another explaination.
Go for it. I am hunting for the first time this year and was told to get one of these. Reading it is confusing! I also got a private land anterless permit and now am real confused.

huntmeister
11-10-2008, 07:44 PM
technically.
REGULAR COMBO TAG:
The regular combination kill tag can be used in the archery seasons to tag either an antlered or antlerless deer.
The regular combination kill tag can be used in the firearm seasons to tag a legal (3 inches or longer antler) antlered deer of any size except in the UP (see UP restrictions below

UP Restrictions: Individuals hunting in the UP that purchased their combination license after June 11, 2008, the regular combination license now has a restriction of one antler with at least 3 or more antler points, each 1 inch in length during all deer seasons (youth, archery, firearm, and muzzleloader).

RESTRICTED COMBO TAG:
The restricted combination kill tag can be used in the archery seasons to tag an antlerless deer.
It also can be used to tag an antlered deer during either the archery or firearms seasons if the antlered deer has at least one antler with four or more antler points each one inch or longer. It is unlawful to use this tag on a smaller antlered deer regardless of the season or area in which it was taken.
-------------------------------------------------------------
BASICLY.....traslated.
When you buy the COMBO you get two kill tags, the RESTRICTED, to be used on a buck with 4 or more points 1inch or longer on one side.

The REGULAR to be use on any buck with antlers 3"inches or more SPIKE's or better.

both can be used for antlerless deer killed with bow and arrow.(*This applies to archery season only*)

works like this;
the combo is good for archery and gun seasons.

Last year I shot a 8pt with my bow and used my RESTRICED tag becasue one side had 4 points.
during firearms season and shot a 7pt buck with my gun and used my REGULAR TAG.
You can use the tags for bow or gun seasons, if I had not shot a buck during bow I can use both tags for gun.

It affords you the opertunity to kill two bucks *PER the antler size restrictions.

I dont use these for antlerless deer during bow, because I can buy private property antlerless tags over the counter.

Antlerless tag is for antlerless deer, one tag one antlerless deer.

who dat
11-10-2008, 07:47 PM
Thanks. :bowdown: Copied, pasted, printed. Now to study it.

huntmeister
11-10-2008, 08:07 PM
please shoot big doe's not button bucks.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10363_10856_10905-29622--,00.html
Each year many hunters harvest buck fawns, commonly called "button bucks" on antlerless deer licenses. Though legal, harvesting these deer may reduce the number of antlered bucks the following year. By learning the difference between adult does and buck fawns and observing these suggestions, hunters can make a conscious choice on whether to harvest a buck fawn.

Look at body shapes of deer. Adult does are different in shape from juvenile deer. The mature doe is rectangular in shape with a long neck and face. Fawns are square shaped and have a short neck and face.

Button bucks often travel alone, but adult does rarely do. Consider this when you observe a single antlerless deer.
Wait until more than three deer are together; then harvest one of the larger antlerless deer.

If two juvenile deer are without an adult, one will probably be a button buck.

Normally the young male is larger than the female and may be mistaken for an adult doe because of its larger size. Look at the head of the deer. A doe's head normally is more rounded on top between the ears and a buck's head is flattened by the base of the antlers.

Look closely with binoculars for the antler bases on button bucks.
Wait until the deer are standing or moving slowly. It is easier to identify sex and age when deer are not running or moving fast.

Shoot with good visibility. Poor light or heavy cover make it difficult to determine sex and age