PDA

View Full Version : Are these rings any good? Identify?

johndeere506
03-12-2015, 09:55 PM
These were on one of my rifles for about 15 years, do you what kind they are? They dont say anything on them. They held a good zero/tight groups, but when chaning scopes recently, I dont know if I like the design...

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn290/johndeere506/rings.jpg (http://s307.photobucket.com/user/johndeere506/media/rings.jpg.html)

MJssr
03-13-2015, 12:52 AM
those look like millett angle lock rings

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Millett-Angle-Loc-Rings-Matte-Weaver-1-Medium-0-413&i=757492

johndeere506
03-13-2015, 09:13 AM
Thanks I found on the Millet site too now. Does anyone know if these are good rings? They always seemed to work, but I dont think I like the 3 piece, 2 screw mount. Im used to 3 pieces (2 sides and center/ring piece, but usually one screw going through all 3. Anyone use these?

I think I just prefer a simpler design as I also havent need the extra adjustability these provide.

sbowhuntr
03-13-2015, 09:55 AM
I call them millet "mangle" lock lol.. Dont care for them myself.. They are windage adjustable and can cause problems if they are not lined up perfectly.. Scrap them and get some new ones, I like Burris z-rings or Warne split style..

hunterspirit
03-13-2015, 09:58 AM
I tried a set,they seemed to have a flimsy lock on the rail. I gave them away with the mangled Vortex scope during a trade

johndeere506
03-13-2015, 01:16 PM
I used my new Torque wrench on them and it seemed like it you werent careful each side would be not centered.

What about Grand slam rings? Or Leupold PRWs? How do these compare to DNZ and Talley one piece, I use those on 3 guns too.

sbowhuntr
03-13-2015, 07:32 PM
I used my new Torque wrench on them and it seemed like it you werent careful each side would be not centered.

What about Grand slam rings? Or Leupold PRWs? How do these compare to DNZ and Talley one piece, I use those on 3 guns too.

thats why you need a scope ring alignment kit for windage adjustable rings, to get them lined up without it is almost impossable and it will mess the tube on your scope up and cause exsesive windage adjustments one way or the other to get it zeroed..any of the brands you mentioned are a much better choice.. the DNZ brand of rings/bases are already lapped and work very well.

johndeere506
03-13-2015, 09:55 PM
thats why you need a scope ring alignment kit for windage adjustable rings, to get them lined up without it is almost impossable and it will mess the tube on your scope up and cause exsesive windage adjustments one way or the other to get it zeroed..any of the brands you mentioned are a much better choice.. the DNZ brand of rings/bases are already lapped and work very well.

Thanks for the tips. I had a feeling I was missing something. I think I will shelf these for now and get something mentioned above. My uncle was a gunsmith and put them on originally years ago, so I can only assume he did it right because it shot great for years, I like the simplicity of the others though, just my opinion, but Im still learning. Bases and rings were my missing piece of the puzzle...proper torque, alingment, lapping, etc...

crankythunder
03-14-2015, 05:04 AM
The millet angle lock rings have their place. They are not my favorite but sometimes they are the only option.

I have a couple of rifles with the bases mounted way of whack.

With a one inch steel rod, I was able to line up the scope with the barrel and get it centered such that it did not take much to zero.

Granted, they are not my favorites but sometimes they are the only option

efw
03-30-2015, 04:03 PM
H
The millet angle lock rings have their place. They are not my favorite but sometimes they are the only option.

I have a couple of rifles with the bases mounted way of whack.

With a one inch steel rod, I was able to line up the scope with the barrel and get it centered such that it did not take much to zero.

Granted, they are not my favorites but sometimes they are the only option

I much prefer Burris Signature rings which have the nylon inserts for this purpose.

IMHO Millett = junk; YMMV...