PDA

View Full Version : NcStar

DEVIL DOG
03-18-2015, 10:22 AM
Thinking about putting one of these on my latest Hi-Point carbine project.

I had good luck with one of their red dots.

It's a 3-9x42.

Comments?

pkuptruck
03-18-2015, 02:45 PM
have/had one on an AK.. worked just fine... had an issue when "cranked" to the upper or lower limit gorilla style..
but when turned normally... not so much. Held my POS AK on center. liked the smallness.. and the such..

might go another way with this weapon.. or maybe not.. afterall.. it is working for me for now..

D-Man
03-18-2015, 03:33 PM
I got one of these pretty cheap a while back and tried it on my AR. Many will bash them for being junk, but mine is pretty decent and I can remove and replace regularly without upsetting the zero mch at all.

Mine also had bullet drop compensation for 55gr ammo.

Full disclosure, I have not used it for any serious distance shooting, so grain of salt.....

if you shoot locally downriver, I could let you try mine to save you the hassle of buying one and not liking it..

DEVIL DOG
03-18-2015, 04:41 PM
I got one of these pretty cheap a while back and tried it on my AR. Many will bash them for being junk, but mine is pretty decent and I can remove and replace regularly without upsetting the zero mch at all.

Mine also had bullet drop compensation for 55gr ammo.

Full disclosure, I have not used it for any serious distance shooting, so grain of salt.....

if you shoot locally downriver, I could let you try mine to save you the hassle of buying one and not liking it..

I appreciate that offer. I am a regular at Top Gun on Tue. ( Senior Day.)

If it holds zero for you guys on an AK & AR, I'm sure it would be fine for this puny little 9mm carbine.

The deal is, my eyes are SHOT. Wear trifocals. Don't wear my glasses to shoot, can't see 25 yards let alone 100. I see the sights ok, but the target is just a blur at any distance.

D-Man
03-18-2015, 07:12 PM
PM sent

Ruger
03-18-2015, 07:42 PM
I appreciate that offer. I am a regular at Top Gun on Tue. ( Senior Day.)

If it holds zero for you guys on an AK & AR, I'm sure it would be fine for this puny little 9mm carbine.

The deal is, my eyes are SHOT. Wear trifocals. Don't wear my glasses to shoot, can't see 25 yards let alone 100. I see the sights ok, but the target is just a blur at any distance.

I just spent close to $300 on a pair of Progressive lens to help improve my shooting and I still shoot like Ray Charles!

DEVIL DOG
03-18-2015, 11:29 PM
Gettin' old is a female dog, ain't it?

Ruger
03-19-2015, 02:25 PM
Gettin' old is a female dog, ain't it?

Indeed DD Indeed!

DEVIL DOG
03-20-2015, 03:24 PM
My thanks goes out to D-MAN for letting me borrow his for mock up.

I fits perfect. Just ordered the FDE from eBay. Same scope, but it also has a removable mini red dot. Should be interesting.

warbladejm
03-25-2015, 03:34 PM
a little late to the conversation but i have a NcStar long relief scope on my mosin, had a issue where one of the adjustment caps broke, small email exchange with their support couple days later had 2 new caps arrive in mail

DEVIL DOG
03-25-2015, 09:19 PM
Good to hear. Thanks.

DEVIL DOG
04-03-2015, 05:28 PM
Project is finished. The scope looks great. Will get it to the range soon.

DEVIL DOG
04-07-2015, 04:06 PM
Went to Top Gun this morning. Zeroed the scope with a laser bore sighter. Was on the short range, shot at 15 yards. Put 20 rounds in the X. Can not believe how accurate that thing is. For $100, the NcStar is a keeper.

RockinRiley
04-07-2015, 08:36 PM
Which carbine do you have, I have the 9 And looking for a sight also, but the 3x looked like overkill.

DEVIL DOG
04-07-2015, 09:57 PM
I have a 4595ts & the 995 classic. This one is actually a 4 power.

The 45 has a 1X red dot.

Starvin48
04-08-2015, 08:23 AM
...and today, on Woot: http://sport.woot.com/plus/ncstar-scopes-8?ref=cnt_wp_2&utm_campaign=Commission+Junction+-+10860750&utm_source=Commission+Junction+Publisher+-+4084797&utm_medium=affiliate+-+Woot+Plus+Feed

dwcopple
04-11-2015, 07:21 AM
I have a NCStar FDE full size 3-9x40 on my AR with a forward can't FDE mount and it works just fine. People overpay badly for optics IMHO. For my coyote rig, it works just fine. I think I have $44 total into the setup. When I don't need distance, I have a TRS-25 I can throw on it instead.

Starvin48
04-11-2015, 07:54 AM
I have a NCStar FDE full size 3-9x40 on my AR with a forward can't FDE mount and it works just fine. People overpay badly for optics IMHO. For my coyote rig, it works just fine. I think I have $44 total into the setup. When I don't need distance, I have a TRS-25 I can throw on it instead.

You know, I lean toward this position as well. I have a BCO on my AR that I purchased because I know the owner of the company and bought into high-end optics at the time. I've since used lots of others, and while the Browe is really, really superior in all aspects, I don't believe I'm going into combat any time soon. And if I do, I bet my cheapie optics will work fine as well.

I don't think, at my level at least, it'll make me a better shooter.

RIFLMAN
08-19-2015, 05:00 PM
Hey, I just posted my experience with that style scope.
The issue I had with it is that the aluminum bar where the lever applies pressure will bend causing the optic to rotate slightly clockwise and not sit level with the gun.

IMO a scope with 2 pressure points is better.

Hope this helps.