PDA

View Full Version : Question about anterless tag option....

Dongizmo
11-13-2008, 11:47 AM
OK,
Maybe I'm slow, but does this mean if you have a anterless tag, and you shoot a button buck (not that I intend to) you can use your buck tag, and still use your anterless tag on a doe?

Tagging Option for Antlerless Deer Hunters
An antlerless deer hunter, with an unused license valid for an antlered deer and an unused antlerless license for the DMU in which they are hunting, may tag a male antlerless deer with an antlered deer license kill tag. A male antlerless deer, often called a " button buck ", means a deer with antlers where the longest antler extends less than three inches above the skull.
From DNR here (http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10363_38954_38957-171817--,00.html#Tagging)
:book: :deal2: :shock: :etoh:

huntmeister
11-17-2008, 12:05 AM
you can only do that during the "late antlerless" deer season.

2008 Michigan Antlerless Deer Hunting

Tagging Option for Antlerless Deer Hunters
An antlerless deer hunter, with an unused license valid for an antlered deer and an unused antlerless license for the DMU in which they are hunting, may tag a male antlerless deer with an antlered deer license kill tag. A male antlerless deer, often called a " button buck ", means a deer with antlers where the longest antler extends less than three inches above the skull.

"An Antlerless deer hunter......" "Tagging options for Antlerless deer hunters"

That is from the antlerless deer hunting rules.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10363_38954_38957-197509--,00.html

Late Firearm Antlerless Deer Season

A late antlerless deer season will take place on private land in some Lower Peninsula DMUs from Dec. 22, 2008 through Jan. 1, 2009. The DMUs that will be open are shaded on the map at right.

Hunters must have a valid private land antlerless deer license (or DMA permit) for one of the open DMUs with an unused kill tag issued in their name to participate in this hunt. Deer may be taken with a bow and arrow or firearm.

Made_in_Michigan
11-17-2008, 08:59 AM
OK,
Maybe I'm slow, but does this mean if you have a anterless tag, and you shoot a button buck (not that I intend to) you can use your buck tag, and still use your anterless tag on a doe?

From DNR here (http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10363_38954_38957-171817--,00.html#Tagging)
:book: :deal2: :shock: :etoh:

Yes, you can. And not just during the late season.

from huntmeister's post:

I shot a button opening day (thinking it was a doe). I did the opposite though and used my antlerless tag on him.

langenc
11-17-2008, 10:43 AM
We should just post facts here as suggested on another site. Here we have two answers next to each other-directly in opposition to each other. One probably correct and one must be WRONG!!

Dongizmo
11-21-2008, 08:58 AM
We should just post facts here as suggested on another site. Here we have two answers next to each other-directly in opposition to each other. One probably correct and one must be WRONG!!
Here is the answer I got from the DNR:

Response (Jamie Fuller) - 11/18/2008 03:00 PM
harvest both a button and a doe, using the antler tag on the button and your antlerless on a doe?

Your statement above is correct. If you have both licenses and shoot a antlerless male 1st, you can tag it with either the "buck" license or the antlerless license. If you use the "buck" license you may shoot an antlerless deer with the antlerless license. If you use the antlerless license, you must take an antlered deer with the "buck" license.

This reflects the answer I got from my phone call to the DNR also, the LT there said some hunters who shot button bucks wanted to use their antler tag as a way to punish themselves, prohibiting them from taking a antlered deer....
Don

huntmeister
11-22-2008, 11:16 PM
Not to argue but....

Why would you use a buck license to tag an antlerless deer, if you already have an antlerless license that you could use? even if it were a button buck with antlers under 3" inches.

I dont get that.....

you can always go back and buy more antlerless deer licenses (for private land)

I always have an antlerless license along with my combo license and would never use the "buck" licenses on an antlerless deer under 3"inches.

Hockey9019
11-23-2008, 12:13 AM
Not to argue but....

Why would you use a buck license to tag an antlerless deer, if you already have an antlerless license that you could use? even if it were a button buck with antlers under 3" inches.

I dont get that.....

you can always go back and buy more antlerless deer licenses (for private land)

I always have an antlerless license along with my combo license and would never use the "buck" licenses on an antlerless deer under 3"inches.
Not in Saginaw County you can't ;)

All sold out :fur3: :fur3: :fur3:

Done Deal
11-23-2008, 07:04 AM
Not in Saginaw County you can't ;)

All sold out :fur3: :fur3: :fur3:

Well, maybe they don't want what I saw last night.

Two with no mom.

Then, 6 with only one being an adult doe.

Then two other fawns came out with them.

What does that do----it leaves doe shooters banging "the big one" which is now a button buck.

Great scenario eh?

Hockey9019
11-23-2008, 11:18 AM
I had a fawn run in front of me this morning... (litterly 20 feet)

Nobody with it...

Kinda of sad...

Rolex Dr.
11-23-2008, 08:25 PM
i dropped a big fat doe at 815am sat morn with my ML

she was one of 5 that passed me at 20 yards

total for the weekend i saw 34 deer (maybe the same group of 4 2 different days)

all DOES (or anterless) 2 does were shot sat morn mine and one of the 4 remaining (on the back side of our property) my dad missed one of the 3 remaining

i shot the lead doe and they just kept circling the farm

in total we saw 50-60 deer (some were same but seen by different people)

ONLY 1 buck (my uncle shot a 8pt)

this was all in the 073 area (saginaw county)

Rolex Dr.
11-24-2008, 10:31 AM
Great scenario eh?

michigan is going to have to do what other states are doing

you must fill a doe tag to get a buck tag

i personally like the idea, Unless the buck is trailing the doe you just dropped then you are kinda stuck

i also would like to see a "penalty" no severe but something for shooting a button buck

like if you need to fill a doe tag to get a buck tag and you shoot a button buck then no buck tag or you get a restricted tag (4 points or better)

but the only way it works is ALL deer need to be checked

Dongizmo
11-25-2008, 11:14 AM
michigan is going to have to do what other states are doing

you must fill a doe tag to get a buck tag

i personally like the idea, Unless the buck is trailing the doe you just dropped then you are kinda stuck

i also would like to see a "penalty" no severe but something for shooting a button buck

like if you need to fill a doe tag to get a buck tag and you shoot a button buck then no buck tag or you get a restricted tag (4 points or better)

but the only way it works is ALL deer need to be checked
I think that is the point of useing your "buck" tag on a button, it takes away your chance at a trophy if the chance arises:scholar: ...

Rolex Dr.
11-25-2008, 12:33 PM
you are correct, i think it is a better idea then the current set up

but we need to keep people from shooting the button bucks

too many just get an antlerless permit and blast the 1st that comes thru

i know i did it, but i was a kid,

now if a deer is injured by all means take it (i did that 2 yrs ago) it was limping badly and at 10 yards i could see tiny little horns and i had a anterless tag not they way i wanted to fill it but he was not going to make the winter

Rolex Dr.
11-25-2008, 12:43 PM
i went back an re read the rules

the way its written WHY the hell have anterless tags (except for a toe dag)

its is written kinda oddly you need to have an antlerless tag as you intend to shoot a non anterled deer as it passes by and when you drop it and find out you shot a buck you tag it with the buck tag and then can still go out and shoot another anterless deer and you could shoot yet another buck (with no antlers) then you can tag with your other buck tag (IE the combo lisc.) then you can go shoot yet another anterless deer and find out its a buck again and then use anterless tag

in theroy you could shoot up to 7 deer and all could be button bucks and all be tagged legally

sounds like a waste of little bucks if you ask me

i do like the idea of punshment for shooting a little one but needs some tweaking

JD

below if from the DNR site
Q. Isn't there also a "button buck" tagging option for an antlerless deer hunter?

YES. In addition to the above options for deer hunters, a person with a valid antlerless deer hunting license and an unused firearm or comination license that kills a "button buck" (male deer with less than 3" antlers) can tag the male deer with any deer hunting license (antlerless, firearm, or either combination license). Both licenses must be in your possession at the time of the kill. All deer must be tagged immediately.

Dongizmo
11-25-2008, 04:14 PM
i went back an re read the rules

the way its written WHY the hell have anterless tags (except for a toe dag)

its is written kinda oddly you need to have an antlerless tag as you intend to shoot a non anterled deer as it passes by and when you drop it and find out you shot a buck you tag it with the buck tag and then can still go out and shoot another anterless deer and you could shoot yet another buck (with no antlers) then you can tag with your other buck tag (IE the combo lisc.) then you can go shoot yet another anterless deer and find out its a buck again and then use anterless tag

in theroy you could shoot up to 7 deer and all could be button bucks and all be tagged legally

sounds like a waste of little bucks if you ask me

i do like the idea of punshment for shooting a little one but needs some tweaking

JD

below if from the DNR site
Q. Isn't there also a "button buck" tagging option for an antlerless deer hunter?

YES. In addition to the above options for deer hunters, a person with a valid antlerless deer hunting license and an unused firearm or comination license that kills a "button buck" (male deer with less than 3" antlers) can tag the male deer with any deer hunting license (antlerless, firearm, or either combination license). Both licenses must be in your possession at the time of the kill. All deer must be tagged immediately.
The way I read it is you must use your buck tag on the button before you use your doe tag, in some areas you can get plenty of doe tags, but not buck tags, if you use your buck tag on the button, your out of the game if you see the monster buck you been dreaming about.
I gotta tell ya, thats how my luck would go:tomato:
Don